ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keep 182 or lease new Fiesta ST?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Renting is like throwing money away, it's like burning money, what do you have to show for it!!11!

I'd be seriously tempted by the Fiesta, I haven't driven one, but if they drive good I'd get one.

Might aswell be off topic, but if you're doing 1000 miles a month how can you only be getting 29mpg??

PB 182 (1 of 29)
I've just read the thread, £510 per month over 3 years seems bloody expensive for a 17k car

Sure you read all of it?

£510 is all in cost for car lease, insurance, servicing, all maintainance including tyres, bulbs, wipers everything and I've included 1000 miles/month for fuel in that cost. Oh and its a fully specced up ST-2 which pushes towards £20k

Lotus Elise
Sure you read all of it? £510 is all in cost for car lease, insurance, servicing, all maintainance including tyres, bulbs, wipers everything and I've included 1000 miles/month for fuel in that cost. Oh and its a fully specced up ST-2 which pushes towards £20k

First 12 months will just be fuel and insurance surely, first 18 months in fact .

PB 182 (1 of 29)
Renting is like throwing money away, it's like burning money, what do you have to show for it!!11!

I'd be seriously tempted by the Fiesta, I haven't driven one, but if they drive good I'd get one.

Might aswell be off topic, but if you're doing 1000 miles a month how can you only be getting 29mpg??

I could be doing 50,000 miles or 100 miles if the route is virtually the same (i.e. a commute) I'll be getting more or less what ever the mixture of roads gives (less a bit for the 10 mile commute due to the increase of engine temperature improving efficiency (although the first 10 miles of my 25 mile route are 60+ mph trunk road and dual carriageway so engime gets up to temp pretty quickly. Moreover, 50,000 motorway miles versus 100 motor way miles would give similar average mpg. It's an average and is governed by the type of road and the driving style. Oh, and it's a 182 not an Austin Maxi, I like to drive it!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's not renting if he keeps the car though!

PB 182 (1 of 29)

Also, how is it throwing money away, my Clio will be worth £1200 in 3 years time the Fiesta £0, but if the Clio has an issue I will have £1200 to sort it then it's worth£0 too, or more likely negative figures. In the mean time I have hassle free motoring in a brand new, highly rated car, not really worrying if a warning light shows or not, peace of mind worth the £1200 over the next 3 years if you ask me!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
If I had £11k I'd be keeping the 182 and getting a £10k 330D m sport for the commute with the other grand going on swirl flap replacement, DPF removal and remap and some black shadow trim. I don't have the cash up front (only what the Clio is worth) as I am spending spare cash renovating my house for which I will (and am) showing good potential financial increases.

The lease plan with salary sacrifice saves me 20% at the off and means I am basically paying off the depreciation of my spanky new car and getting everything else for

I wasn't having a go, I was just saying.

Not sure the mpg on 330d is actually that good FYI.

Lotus Elise
Oh that Clio. And good paddle shift? My TT had a better shift that this new heap!

LOL I hated the feel of the paddles when I sat in one at Geneva but I'm yet to drive one. My favourite paddle shift I've tried is the early E60 M5 SMG box, genuinely awesome in my mind and the mags hated it. Looking to trying the GT3s. I like paddles.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Funnily enough I've been considering exactly the same. Sell my Petrol blue 182 and keep money aside for other things and do PCP on a new Fiesta through my work.

The deciding factor for me was I didn't like the drive of the ST! I know I seem to be in a minority but linked to the fact I personally am not keen on the looks and to then be constantly paying monthly payments I decided to keep the 182...at least for now. Depending on my job due to relocation I will look to get a 197/200 instead.

PB 182 (1 of 29)
It's not renting if he keeps the car though!

This is true too, speaking to two colleagues who have done the scheme, they were offered the carthey leased for about 10% below book and were also offered any other back into stock ex-lease car instead for a discount, the offer was also extended to their families too!

Even if I hand it back I have been paying the same out as I am now for a hassle free, brand new car and all I will not have at the end of the agreement is a £1200 100k mile Clio to sell (if it doesn't break and the cost the £1200 or more to fix in the mean time). No more ringing round for the best tyre price, service price, repair price, just call them, say what the car needs need and they tell you where to go and when.

PB 182 (1 of 29)
If I had £11k I'd be keeping the 182 and getting a £10k 330D m sport for the commute with the other grand going on swirl flap replacement, DPF removal and remap and some black shadow trim. I don't have the cash up front (only what the Clio is worth) as I am spending spare cash renovating my house for which I will (and am) showing good potential financial increases.

The lease plan with salary sacrifice saves me 20% at the off and means I am basically paying off the depreciation of my spanky new car and getting everything else for

I wasn't having a go, I was just saying.

Not sure the mpg on 330d is actually that good FYI.

I know you weren't having a go, wish I did have the 11K, Wouldn't be getting the 330D for the economy (30mpg seems realistic) just because it'd represent the best all round car for the money and we'd get the wife a Clio DCi to save some fuel costs instead, I can't rent a new 3 series for anywhere near the ST cost and although a different car altogether the ST has perched itself firmly on my radar and would also suit my needs!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I'd rather a higher spec fiesta than a base spec focus tbh. Ford are really tight on the base spec st for some reason

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I think the OP should really consider buying a used BMW M3 instead.

Last edited:
  PB 182 (1 of 29)
Funnily enough I've been considering exactly the same. Sell my Petrol blue 182 and keep money aside for other things and do PCP on a new Fiesta through my work.

The deciding factor for me was I didn't like the drive of the ST! I know I seem to be in a minority but linked to the fact I personally am not keen on the looks and to then be constantly paying monthly payments I decided to keep the 182...at least for now. Depending on my job due to relocation I will look to get a 197/200 instead.

I have yet to drive (this w/e hopefully) but I love the looks (always have, a zetec S parks outside my laboratory and I often think how good it looks) and would rather pay a fixed amount out (not much more then I pay out now - probably less using the 182 money to top up) than get a nasty bill and have to scrape around for the cash

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Only read first 2 pages.
Fiesta ST for me. It'll be a shame to see ye 182 go but I doubt you'd miss it

Heard nothing but good things about the fiesta ST

PB 182 (1 of 29)
What about a focus ST? Quick look shows Nationwide have a very good deal on a base spec....

http://www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/Ford_Focus_5_Door-20T_ST-45856-Technical.htm

Prefer mpg and looks of Fiesta. Just specced up an ST-2 on that site the same as the one I'm looking at (15k miles/year, 3 years, all the extras, maintainence) but no insurance or tax included and it comes out at £60 more/month (plus tax and insurance - another £50/month). The base focus with lower mpg and no insurance or tax is about the same (£100 more). Thanks for looking though!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Prefer mpg and looks of Fiesta. Just specced up an ST-2 on that site the same as the one I'm looking at (15k miles/year, 3 years, all the extras, maintainence) but no insurance or tax included and it comes out at £60 more/month (plus tax and insurance - another £50/month). The base focus with lower mpg and no insurance or tax is about the same (£100 more). Thanks for looking though!

No probs mate, got me thinking to be honest.

You'd all s**t yourselves at an M3 monthly cost over 12k miles a year that I've just done, do really like the fiestas and fancy something small and nippy again, might be able to save the VAT too so would make it a bargain really, my only problem is holding onto a car for 2/3 years!

Personally I'd go for the fiesta.

PB 182 (1 of 29)
I think the OP should really consider buying a used BMW M3 instead.

Erm. New ST with no bills apart from the lease cost and fuel (with 40mpg very realistic) versus an M3 which I would need a loan for, need to pay all bills for and would get 20mpg if I'm lucky, not sure the wife would go for this. I'd love one, drooled over an E46 individual convertble in a purple velvet type colour and cream leather for £9k a few months ago but potential bills would scare me to death!!

PB 182 (1 of 29)
No probs mate, got me thinking to be honest.

You'd all s**t yourselves at an M3 monthly cost over 12k miles a year that I've just done, do really like the fiestas and fancy something small and nippy again, might be able to save the VAT too so would make it a bargain really, my only problem is holding onto a car for 2/3 years!

Personally I'd go for the fiesta.
I think if the car's a good one 3 years is fine, actually had the focus for 5 now and the 182 for more than 2.

Clio 182 FF
1000 miles at 29mpg is 35 gallons or 158 litres for which I pay £1.33/litre = £210
£550/year insurance - £46/month
MOT (£55 locally) averaged at £5/month
2 services (£300ish) averaged at £25/month
Tax is roughly £20/month
Tyres (1 set/year - £440/12) - £37/month

That is near enough £350 I guess but I have also replaced shock absorbers, mounts and bushes etc so looking at old bills I have spent £400+/month over the last 2 years (not including mods)

If I got £3000 for the 182 returned to standard with the mods sold on (I would hope for a bit more all in) and then split that over the next 2 years of the lease it gives me £125/month towards the ST.

Therefore the ST is £510 (lease and fuel) less £125 - £385/month - less than the Clio (or roughly the same) with no nasty bills/suprises on the horizon......I guess a no brainer.

29 mpg is rubbish!! Put some super in there and see if that makes a difference. It only costs about 5 or 6 quid extra a tank and if you get 30 extra miles a tank you break even. You should be getting at least 32 out of your clio and 55 quid for an MOT seems steep!

I would love a fiesta, i think they are great but i am not sure i could invest that amount of money and not own the car!

Fiesta ST
Before I bought mine I worked out the how much it will cost me extra.

It's costing me roughly £1.5k extra over 2 years to have the st over the Clio. That's taking everything in to account. Purchase price of Clio, amount made when Clio sold, insurance, tax etc. Doesn't include saving on fuel either so a few more £££ there

For me doing the maths made the decision easy. Drive around in a brand new fiesta with no worries or keep the Clio and worry how much it will cost to fix anything that goes wrong.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LOL at talking about £4-£6k per annum running costs, and arguing the toss over the MOT costing £55 per annum.

Relevant much?

I'll post up my spreadsheet tonight showing how much the Fiesta saved me versus a 200T - it's shocking!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Right, had a go in my pals last night, all in all they're a nice place to be to be honest. Pretty comfy & smooth. Engine feels responsive enough. Build quality 'feels' good, it's not mine so can't tell what it'd be like to live with.

I have to say, I still wouldn't buy one, it's just personal preference as I'm not keen on the styling & it's a bit like jumping out of a 172 in to a 200, I hear some owners saying the 200 doesn't excite them as much etc, basically the same thing.

The suspension is firm enough but I feel it was a little on the bouncy side & it didn't turn in quiet like the 200. (obviously aimed at different markets)

If I was in the market for a new Turbo hatch i'd have it over the new clio any day to be honest.

Last edited:
  PB 182 (1 of 29)
29 mpg is rubbish!! Put some super in there and see if that makes a difference. It only costs about 5 or 6 quid extra a tank and if you get 30 extra miles a tank you break even. You should be getting at least 32 out of your clio and 55 quid for an MOT seems steep!

I would love a fiesta, i think they are great but i am not sure i could invest that amount of money and not own the car!

So, fork out £19. 5k of your cash, add insurance, tax, servicing, tyres etc (I work that to be £2000 insurance, 3 sets tyres £1200, 4 services £500, 3 years tax £375. Then in 3 years you sell, lucky to get 46% of what you paid back. So £10.5k gone (plus the bills -£4075) is a spend/loss of £14075. Divided by 36 months is £390/month, with the possibility of extra bills too. So spend more get less. You could put the 19.5k in the bank, gain interest then buy the car in 3 years for 10% off book too, essentially owning in the end for less than buying it now spreading the cost and having no worries. No brainer

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Erm. New ST with no bills apart from the lease cost and fuel (with 40mpg very realistic) versus an M3 which I would need a loan for, need to pay all bills for and would get 20mpg if I'm lucky, not sure the wife would go for this. I'd love one, drooled over an E46 individual convertble in a purple velvet type colour and cream leather for £9k a few months ago but potential bills would scare me to death!!

srs, they aren't that bad to run. I can't beleive no one suggested the m3

PB 182 (1 of 29)
LOL at talking about £4-£6k per annum running costs, and arguing the toss over the MOT costing £55 per annum.

Relevant much?

I'll post up my spreadsheet tonight showing how much the Fiesta saved me versus a 200T - it's shocking!

Would be good to see the spreadsheet of poss please!

RB 182 195bhp
You can look at it in 2 ways, one that yes it is going to be a cheap way to get into a new very nice car, and tbh it is going to be as fun as the Clio but with loads of toys. These seem to be very good cars, although I'd imagine they will become common. But then again, in a year or so, maybe even a few months these are going to be coming up second hand cheaper, and you could buy outright for a similar amount monthly. Also, if the unthinkable happened, and you lost your job, or financial situation changed anyhow, you will still have to make these payments, or lose the car and get nothing back and be left with no car. I'd wait for the second hand bargains to arise, just me though! Lol

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Saw my first ST in the same colour as Marks, what a great looking car and that orange in the sun is amazing!

Sorely tempted to pop in and see my Ford salesman.