ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keys !!

MR2 Mk1 - AW11
why on earth do they have to cost soo much.

my house mate managed to snap mine in two yesterday night, (blade came out of the plastic).

spoke to SJ Cook & Son's - £75 for a new key then another £40 to code it. and i some how need to get the car over there.... but with out the black bit i cant get the key to turn in the lock..... big fat grrrrr.

sorry really needed to rant.

Jem x

al

ST on the way...
Your house mate should pay for it.

If your still under warranty you could use Renault Assist.

MR2 Mk1 - AW11
al said:
Your house mate should pay for it.

If your still under warranty you could use Renault Assist.

Sadly im not under warranty, she's a 51 plate.

He has offered to pay for it, but jsut forking out for it in the first place has annoyed me.

Jem x

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Why do you need to get the car there for a new key? Surely all you need are the car documents to get a new key done? I gather the black bit of the key still unlocks the car, which then I gather also deactivates the immobiliser, can you not turn the key once in the ignition with a pair of pliers?

al

ST on the way...
DynamiqueDebz said:
can you not turn the key once in the ignition with a pair of pliers?
Reminds me of an old fiesta! :S

or even a new one lol!

al

ST on the way...
honey said:
Sadly im not under warranty, she's a 51 plate.

He has offered to pay for it, but jsut forking out for it in the first place has annoyed me.

Jem x

Do you not have any spares?

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Yep, or in my case a Capri when my key snapped. I'm going back quite a few years now of course. ;) lol

al

ST on the way...
DynamiqueDebz said:
Yep, or in my case a Capri when my key snapped. I'm going back quite a few years now of course. ;) lol

Lol......a ford thing then :D

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
lol, most definitely. I used to have two sayings in the days of me repairing cars. "If in doubt give the f**ker a clout" or " If in doubt get the pliers out". They both pretty much still work, as I proved to Hubby the other day when he broke the screws on his number plate when trying to put his new one on. ;) Lmao

MR2 Mk1 - AW11
Debz, Dont ask me, i have no idea. thats what the guy said i had to do. haven't tried the pliers thing yet, get my bloke to look at it later tonight.

Al, I was silly, i paid for a car with only one key... (and no spare wheel but lets no go in to that...lol)

al

ST on the way...
honey said:
Al, I was silly, i paid for a car with only one key... (and no spare wheel but lets no go in to that...lol)

Lol...ok! ;)

Do you have any sort of breakdown assistance?

if all that has happened is the metal key has come out the plastic can't you just open it an re-insert it?
or if the plastic where the metal key locates into has broke got another black bit.the black plastic just holds a small circuit board which can be removed and put into any other clio key as can the key itself

al

ST on the way...
honey said:
Think so.... RAC. why... can they fix my key.

Tell them you've dropped your keys and broken them, they should come out and take your car to the dealers for repair :D

al

ST on the way...
tidyclio said:
if all that has happened is the metal key has come out the plastic can't you just open it an re-insert it?
or if the plastic where the metal key locates into has broke got another black bit.the black plastic just holds a small circuit board which can be removed and put into any other clio key as can the key itself

Thats an excellent point!

Just get a new plastic bit and put the electrics and metal bit back in!

Genius fella!! :)

BMW M135i
Although i'm not 100% have you tried opening the fob part of the key as if you were changing a battery as I'm almost certain that the actual key part is just clipped in and can be pulled in and out of the fob part.
I imagine that the fob is universal until its programmed and the only specific part is the key bit that actually fits the lock.

You only need a new metal bit which is £12 from Renault they need a few days to order them as thee special delivery from France (you'll need to show your documents).

The metal part of the key can be seperated when you take the remote to pieces so you can do it yourself.
If you want to ttake the car to a dealership take the barrel lock to pieces and either remove the bit of broken key or hot wire the switches together and to sort the imobiliser you just need to hold the black part of the key around the imobiliser ring of the car.