ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking 16v aftermarket exhaust

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

My Mongoose cat back system had always knocked on the bottom of the car ever since I got it.:(

I have just had the exhaust re-hung using Poly X Plus exhaust mounts from Rally Design. These are competition mounts and only cost £9.90 for a set of 3.

I know have no knocking whatsoever and the car is a lot better to drive on the motorway.:D

Well worth a try if your exhaust is knocking.

James

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Did u re-hang it your self or by a garage? How much did the garage charge if u used 1? Is it up tight with the slots now? How many mounts did u get? Is ur 16v lowered? :D I love interigating people.

Im glad uve posted as i may be able to solve my fu*in Xorst now! Cheers.

My Mongoose knocks too, on teh rear axle and now teh centre baffle has blown out.....crap system, boomy and loud.

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

The garage re-hung the exhaust, I cant give you a price though as I had a lot of ther work done at the same time. I dont think it would cost too much. Infact I had new standard mounts fitted to the Magnex on my old 5 Turbo at Kwik-Fit and the fella didnt charge me at all!! (I did give him a fiver for a couple of beers) You could probably do it yourself quite easily.

I dont know if it is tight with the slots now as I havent had chance to look under the car as yet, but the tailpipe doesnt hang as low as before and there is hardly any movement in the system at all.

My car isnt lowered yet, but it will be as soon as I get around to fitting the Konis I have sitting in my living room. (I will also be attempting to lower the rear myself).

You get 3 mounts for £9.90, Rally Designs number is 01795 531871 and ask for 3 quantity of PX014 (make sure that you ask for Poly X Plus, as they do other softer ones called Poly X - these are only 90p cheaper). They do have a website, it is http://www.raldes.co.ukwww.raldes.co.uk, but the details on the site are just scanned in pages from their brouchure and they are a bit hard to read.

It is worth doing as they are quite cheap and it may sort out this problem.

James

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Yeah, but dont kwik fit only use there own parts or something?

Thanx for the info. ;) Will probably order some. Do i only need 3 then?

Go check ur Xorst now & report back! Look if the centre box is up close to the heat shield! Only kiddin, ill PM u when im getting a garage to fit the brackets. Cheers.

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

This guy at Kwik-Fit was OK and didnt say anything about their own parts.

I think you only need 3, they list them as a set of three, but you have to ask for 3 of that part number. If that makes sense!!:confused:

Ill have a butchers tomorrow and let you know how the exhaust is hanging.

James

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Yeah, please do, much appreciated. Hope they r the kinda mounts where they will lift the Xorst as close to the mount as possible and keep it V. firm so it doesnt knock the bumper as mine does now. :(

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

The tail pipe on mine is within an inch of the rear bumper now, whereas before it was 2 1/2 - 3 inches lower. Therefore, I assume that the rest of the system is higher was well.

The system is very firm now. The problem I had was that the exhaust was moving and was is contact with the underneath of the car, causing a fecking racket and a lot of vibration and dash rattles (these have also disappeared!)

James

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Yeah im interested in taking it up as high as poss so i can lower it & not have to worry about speed bumps. So the centre box is what really concerns me plus a stiffer bracket so the tail pipe doesnt hit the bumper over humps in the road. Cheers.

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

For all those interested, I cannot recommend doing this enough.

I have driven the car for a number of days now on all different types of road surface and I havent had any knocking at all.

The exhaust is a lot quiter now and is not boomy at all.

I have had a chance to look underneath the car and the exhaust now sits a lot higher than before and there is minimal movement along the whole system.

James

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

My local garage fitted them for me, any body should be able to do them, you could probably do them yourself.

It was just new hangers that I got.

James

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport

yeah bloody sh*te moongose system!

I fitted the cat back zorst myself and had endless greif getting it to fit coz as the up and over the rear axle section hits! It hits for two reasons- Mianly because that bit of pipe is suposed to be oval.(like the orig renualt one is!!) and secondly it doesnt help that it seems to be heavier!!

I had to remove and refit a few time after i heated the pipe and tried to squash the bugger!! I might try the poly bushes as its been putting me off lowering the car as it will have to be bent again to compensate for the rear axle being even closer!!