ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking, knackered Diff?

Clio 1.2 16v
My car used to a knocking which I eventually figured out was the Cat knocking on its heat shield.

Recently however as I was going round a bend at about 40mph there was a clunk and now there is another knocking noise.

The knock occurs when the car is moving and is free rolling, the knocking stops when braking and accelerating. The tempo of the knock also increases with the cars speed.

The car was in the garage the other week to try fix this problem. The off side drive shaft was changed because of a faulty ABS ring causing the brakes to crunch but they said the cause of the knocking was down to a broken tooth on the diff. and their advice was just to live with it.

Has anyone come across this before or think there is a different problem, it it worth taking the car to a different garage for a second opinion?

Mk2 Ph2 1.2 16v

Appreciate any replies. Chris.