ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking Noise over bumpy roads.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Ive had this noise on and off since i got the car. Its from the engine bay without a doubt and it sounds like something juddering or moving about when the car goes over uneven or closely spaced bumps in the roads.

Im starting to think its not suspension strut related and its not heavy knocking so im thinking its possibly not engine mounts as its more of a rattling knocking if that makes sense!

Its doing my head in thats for sure. Anyone ever cured this knock/rattle as i seem to read about alot of people having the same type of thing?
Help purrrrlease!

ph1 172 Black
I have similiar and I've changed engine mounts and checked bushings and it's still there. Any help anyone?

Cup'd Monaco 172
Sounds like my car. I am pretty certain its top mounts.

Does the noise come through the car high up or low down?

I get the same on the Megane, had it on the Cup aswell. Seems to be coming from low down on mine, not overly concerned about it though.

Clio 172 mk2 & Clio 3 DCi
mine does the same, seems to be coming from the drivers side. but no idea what it is. i have checked all the shocks and all seems ok.
it only does it on funny uneven type of roads though.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Wow! Such a common problem and still no definate cause and cure! I've been under mine today trying to find anything that maybe moving about....all looks fine! Grrrrr!

Trying to eliminate things. I don't think its strut related or engine mount related so its either bushes, wishbones or im starting to think it could be steering rack or column movement.

Any thoughts anyone?

182 inside
it maybe comes from the movement of the steering rack in the rubber mounts and heatshield stretching. I've had the car apart and nothing!!

Ph1 clio 172
annoyingly mine does this too from the passenger side somewhere. only does it on certain roads and only when it feels like it. it apparently stops when the garage has it as they hear nothing. its driving me nuts, any suggestions

ph1 172 Black
Surely someone must know whats the cause of this 'common' problem!

I've changed engine mounts and I don't know what to do now!

www.renparts.co.uk
lower gearbox mount to subframe?.... i fixed it for somoene on here few weeks back.... the nut had fallen off so the mount was moving around in the hole in the subframe...

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Hmmm...could be one to consider....im starting to wonder if its something steering related moving about over bumps. I hope not tho!

Clio 182 cup
i get the same issue as well on my 172 cup when make a tight turn over bumpy road or a manhole cover. Comes from driver side, low down and the front of the car.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
^^^^Exactly the same from mine....only i also notice it over bumpy/uneven road surfaces.

Im gonna check that lower gearbox to subframe mount i think.

Clio & Mitsu ASX
It's the engine mount.
We had the same problem on the clio about 3.5 years ago. Took it to the dealer, the unscrewed the engine mount and put some greece between it. After few months it came back, he redid the procedure and now we haven't heard a single knock in 3 years.