ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking noise when idling..

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Read up on this via search but didn't really answer my questions...

About 20 secs after pulling up, stopping theres this knocking noise coming from the drivers side wheel arch, I say wheel arch as you can hear it there without the engine ticking over.

If you rev the car the noise goes then comes back approx 20 secs afterwards again.

This is the replacement engine I had so has had brand new belts fitted less than 500 miles ago, all has been great upto now, just noticed it yesterday and wanted to see if it came back.

Its not a tapping, more deep than that, tap your finger fast on a table using your nail then do it with your finger, its deffo more the finger, the nail is a tappet noise to me!

What do you think? anything scares me with engines at the moment :eek:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Also with it only happening on idle is it ok to drive a few miles to a garage if need be?

172 Cup
Either dephaser or charcoal canister. If its coming from lower down in front of wheel arch it will be the canister.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Its a much stronger noise from the wheel area - how do I unplug this to double check?

172 Cup
If you take off or loosen the top of the front splashg guard it is a black rectangular canister bout the size of a brick. Theres a couple of connectors at the top.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Bugger does it not plug in somewhere in the bay as a quick test?

The black vacuum hose that runs from the plenum by the coil pack, round the upper engine mount goes down to the canister. You could try disconnecting that to test it out but it may mess with you idling as you'll essentially introduce a small leak into the inlet manifold.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
th_SSL11067.jpg

Its quite hard to hear, starts when I move from the mount around the arch and back to the pulley area.

What do you think?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Well nipped to my local, said it sounded like the canister to them (I hadn't mentioned anything at this stage)

He said is it empty (fuel)? I must admit it was, he said go and try putting a good load of fuel in and see if its still there...

Well it is Grrr :(

Mine had a similar noise fella, took it a garage in Leeds and they replaced a front CV boot joint (as it apparently needed doing) and that solved it :S Might have just been them fiddling around that sorted it though!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cannister, 100%. Not too expensive either (iirc about £50) no probelm if left though. If you rev it to say 5k, the noise will disappear, then return after 20 seconds or so. Its also alot more apparent in the car than outside.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Cannister, 100%. Not too expensive either (iirc about £50) no probelm if left though. If you rev it to say 5k, the noise will disappear, then return after 20 seconds or so. Its also alot more apparent in the car than outside.

That makes me mucho happy!

Strange how they just go mental though eh?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Just to check do I just need to order a cannister or anything else too?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Struggling to find it on dialogys is it 82 00 151 732 VAC CNT UNIT KO ???

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Someone told me the 182 ones are different and better is this true?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Think the 182 one has a plastic bracket rather than a 172 metal. Totally interchangeable as far as i know! Not sure on the part no though soz :(

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
oh right well if it doesn't alter the way it works I'll just use any that comes my way!

RS RIP
the cannister is also giving the noise some more volume as it passes through. ah well , problem solved eh !?:approve:

182 Trophy
What does the cannister do exactly?

I think i might have this, although its very intermittent. Can just hear a knocking noise every now and then from inside the car, but barely hear it from outside.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
I had a knocking noice once on tick over, i took the aux belt off and removed the lower tentioner, then put it back on and noice was gone????