ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking Suspension

TTRS & V50
Noticed today, only heard it when going down a gravel track at 5mph maybe.

Its coming from predominetely (sp) the osf but can hear it faintly from the nsf.

This is not when turning, once i get up to speed i can't hear, this maybe because of the rackit the Ktec stealth it making.

So anythoughts ? Need to drive back to uni which is 70-80 miles.

Driveshafts ?

Track rods ?

Ball joints ?

Top mounts maybe ?

Can't really think of much else.

To note im on coilovers.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Have you had the coilovers set up?

Was it just doing it on the gravel, or is it doing it on a smooth road too?

TTRS & V50
Been setup and on for over 6k and never a problem.

Its literally come on tonight.

Smooth road is fine afaik.

Its only when i go over tiny bumps in the gravel driveway.

TTRS & V50
Also to note, the ns driveshaft had the boot hanging off for a good few months in the summer. I eventually took it to Jam-sport to have it re greese and clipped and its been fine ever since and that was 2-3 months ago... And a lot of mileage.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Also to note, the ns driveshaft had the boot hanging off for a good few months in the summer. I eventually took it to Jam-sport to have it re greese and clipped and its been fine ever since and that was 2-3 months ago... And a lot of mileage.

It doesn't sound like it's your driveshafts then.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Definate knocking whilst on the gravel, not just the noise of the gravel your going over or any gravel flicking up and hitting something underneath?

Only say this, as you say it seems ok on smooth roads.

TTRS & V50
Nope pretty sure its not the gravel, as ive driven down this track hundreds of times and its never been a problem. I drove back to Nottingham today and it seems ok, but i know the knocking is still there.

I did think its the crappy ktec hitting the rear axle as i had this problem before, but im pretty sure the noise is coming from the front.

Also have heard the noise on s**te roads, but only when going slowly.

Sounds like the strut is wobbling about in the top mount..

TTRS & V50
I know. I thought that before putting the thread up to be fair. Will take it to BTM when i think its worthwhile. Don't trust a lot of places. Most standard garages will tell me my driveshafts are fucked to no avail.

PH1 V6
mine does EXACTLY this! took it to a garage, they even took the front struts out and dismantled everything but couldnt find a problem :S slightly worrying... but as yours does it only happens at slow speeds and not when driving on open roads etc...

mine is fine when driving everywhere but the roads approaching my house are private unmade roads and so i have to drive slowley, this is where i hear the hollow sort of clunking/knocking noise from the front. its not an engine mount as garage chcked that too.

god knows but im chaning supsension soon to upgrade so hope it disapears then!

it sounds exactly like the top mount knocking on mine tho

TTRS & V50
dont drive on gravel then, job done

err, no.

god knows but im chaning supsension soon to upgrade so hope it disapears then!

it sounds exactly like the top mount knocking on mine tho

Same as mine, i doubt changing suspension will change much.

Top mounts moving?

Yeahp thats what it sounds like, its not bothering me too much. I might get some solid top mounts, not sure if this will change much

TTRS & V50
This is actually pissing me off. Took my car to BTM about a month ago and had two new track rod ends and a n/s inner rod end, this was for a different matter. Got it tracked up the other day too.

Took it out tonight to drop the mrs in town and as Nottingham city roads are so dogshit, the O/S is knocking ter f**k, on the roads and every speed hump i go over (and i have to go over them dam slow)

I'm adamant its top mounts, but 170 seems pricey to spend if it ain't that.