ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kwik Fit’s Morals!

Buying Rhys decat off him for my cup, and just been around a couple of garages to get an estimate on getting it fitted. Went to kwik fit, think they do exhausts, but apparently its not company policy to fit decats! Been to a garage that used to service my old car, and they say 1-2 hours fitting so between £50-£100 to fit! Is it me, or is that really expensive? I dont have access to a ramp or axle stands otherwise id try it myself! Gonna have to hunt around a bit more for a better price, anyone in Leeds know of a good garage to do this sort of low down and dirty work??

Max

1-2 hours!! I dont know about 172s but with valvers itd be a max of 10 mins to fit one. Kwik-fit will usually do them if you go last thing at night once the supervisor has gone! Usually need to give one of the lads a 5er or so but far cheaper than the price above....

Corsa 2.0 16v baby

stop being a lazy git, jack it up unbolt it and bolt the de cat in. 10-20 min at the most, cost £0.

50-100 squid to fit id get that in writing then give it to trading standards :mad:

Jabba,

Sad to say, but im not super mechanical, think i get it from my father, he tends to take things to bits then cant put them back together again! The garages hourly charge is £42+VAT so thats why its so much. Im not a lazy git, i dont have a jack! Its a cup remember, taken out to make it go faster! ;)

Max

Errrr hang on lads.

Fitting a De-Cat to a 172 is not a piece of piss.

I know Fred fitted Dogmauls in axel stands in the dark, (clearly a god) but when mine was fitted it took my mate (granted a muppet) (at a zorst place on a ramp) best part of an hour just to swap the CAT, and that was with my help.

Its just the bolts are in the most cu*tish place possible.

yeah, thats what ive heard, and thats why im not inclined to do it myself. Is yours silenced or not Wacko? can you tell a difference? And whats this about it smelling funny!

Max

Hehe. No mines a fully SuperSprint 63mm Race system. Not silenced at all, now ive sorted out my fueling problem it flys (BTW do you have one or two holes in your de-cat)

When you rag it and then stop a the light you will get a very strong smell like aviation fuel. Its just un-burnt fuel that has been through the cumbution process. I quite like it!!

Elise/VX220/R26

I would get it done at a garage, its NOT as easy as it sounds as the bolts are really awkward. I took it to a local garage and it took two mechanics 25 mins to fit it. £25 it cost from a branch of Gordons Tyres.

Okies, ill defo get it to a garage, i doubt theyll have to cut the bolts off or anything like that as its only a year and a half old. Its only got one hole for the lamda sensor, but ive been told to leave the second sensor on the outside and then there is no probs with the light coming on. Is this right?

My local Charlie Browns are always good for fitting aftermarket parts. They wont guarantee the work as they sort of do it on the side, but theyd not charge more than £20 to fit a decat pipe.

£50/100 is just a rip off. Its a tricky job, rather than a hard job. With two people and a ramp a garage can do this in 30 mins.

Ill see were my local Charlie Browns is in Leeds, theres also an Alba Tyres on the road i live, they do exhaust and look dodgy as f**k, might see how much theyll do it for. Been to Renault today to order a new gasket kit for it.

ive got the same system as wackojacko have to agree the flange on the manifold end is a right c**t to get at so if you can get a decent quote on the labour save yourself the greif and get someone else to do it

Quote: Originally posted by Max172cup on 07 April 2004

Jabba,

Sad to say, but im not super mechanical, think i get it from my father, he tends to take things to bits then cant put them back together again! The garages hourly charge is £42+VAT so thats why its so much. Im not a lazy git, i dont have a jack! Its a cup remember, taken out to make it go faster! ;)

Max

£30 for 2ton jack & 2x axle stands from Halfords

Take it somewhere that you can get it on ramps mate, I was helpin fred when he did dogmauls and itd be a sh*tload easier on ramps, like Wacko said, its just the location of the bolts - its a git LoL