ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LAD Clio Sport 200

Has anyone heard about LAD tuning company. They claim to get 205bhp from clio sports. They do this by replacing the standard airbox with a Pipercross induction ki, then extensive gasflow work on the cylinder heads port and valve seats, plus improving the exit efficiency of the gasses by adding a Devil sports back box complete with oval tailpipe.. It costs £1200 apparently which is good value.

Has anyone had this done?

Skoda Fabia vRS

someone on here has been in the demo car an wasnt really that impressed with it...

plus its basically paying £1k for head work........you could take the head anywhere else an get it done for half that, or less

Stupid thing is, is that CCC mag said it was 1200 inc zorst and filter yet they quoted me 1200 for head alone, so dont know what is going on there, got to say when I drove the LAD car it would massacre 1st and 2nd with wheelspin so its gotta have some old grunt, mine wont do that to second, best thing to do is go and drive it, Tim

Any developments on the LAD front? I sent them an email earlier today to enquire. I am also waiting for K-tecs head which should be any time now. Technomap France provide a mod consisting of remap, cams, head, de-cat and they say that increases power to 192-5hp consistently. So, I really dont see how the head work only on the LAD car can produce 200/205 with no remaping, an open piperX foam filter and a backbox. It would be nice to obatin some plots.

My best guess for cat-back + properly installed BMC/Viper + ported head + Unichip is 195hp max. and thats as far as it will go prior to messing with the TBs. By the way another Frog outfit called efjie say they have a single larger inlet TB conversion that will fit the cup, without need for individual TBs. Is that a good halfway house? Problem is they wont ship and insist on fitting in France...

what do you reckon?

i recon!

well, everybody knows what i recon...if not, jsut search LAD 200 up and youll see the million dollar debate,

Been through it Ben. I know your view that work on the head is a waste of money. I am waiting for k-tec to report back on results they get from their work on the head and make a decision then. There must be a useful bhp/£ step beyond exhaust/IK/chip but before going for TBs.

What do you make of the single larger TB conversion?

its a step in the right direction, and im not saying thatheadowrk isa waste of time, but if your looking for a gain from it, itll be minimal.

but that single TB is expensive and is it FBW compatible?

320d M Sport

why oh why wont someone do a drive in and out conversion and we all know what to aim for then-like the Hartge job on mini. getting pretty borin havin a N/a angine now.....

its pretty hard to organise, develop, test etc and costs are HUGE......

If its not 100% perfect, people will complain etc........and your looking at jsut so much money to develop a kit.

320d M Sport

every other car seems to have summat though, 172 has feck all u can aspire to!? Bit crappy really.

true....but the Hartge is nothing more than a smaller pully which is dead easy and a few other minor parts, its too easy to get power out of a forced induction car to compare really.

JCW Cooer S upgrade is a good example, it took 2 prototype Ss before they were put into production to test, and it took them 2 yrs to build a package under factory support.

No local UK tuner has that sort of resources......which is why they do it on a car by car basis......layout of about 30k to develop and test is alot, and in most cases, you only get people calling up, talking and email for about a week on the benefits, estimates, time, costs, then tell you Quote:

"cool, i wont be needing it for a while though"

Ask any tuner how much gyp they have to put up with from prospective clients........and its the same thing day in day out, most jsut dont come back for the serious stuff.

So youd need to do about 10 "kits" minimum, and well...who here HONESTLY will part with about 3.5K for over 200bhp with no gaurantee?

its a tricky business.....and even HUGE tuners like Longman take a while to make such kits.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2

We should have some flow figures on the head next week. Early indications are that we have increased air flow by upto 23% through the head ( this does not relate to a 23% increase in power). We will have to see what this translates to on the rollers in a few weeks.

David.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

spoke to the lad guy at snetterton

what a total c**k.

Me: so what have you done to get 200bhp

Him: im not telling you its a secret

Me: so you havent got 200bhp then?

Him: yes i have

Me: how?

etc....................

gave me a card and told me to call him in a month. i wont be.

Can we talk gains per £ for a mo? Ive just spent £300 on a superchip remap and probably gained no more than 6 or 7 bhp (although the superchips website quotes 10), but f*ck me, has the car changed!! Torquey or what??? The car is flying.

Now can I put this gain into a driveability context?

I cant floor it in second at 40 anymore - it just wheelspins, so I have to use third, or be more gentle in second. Result: Im going slower. B*llocks, that wasnt supposed to happen. So instead of getting my "g-force" thrills in second between 40 & 65 I now need to get them in third between 60 & 85. So Im getting closer to killing myself. B*llocks, that wasnt supposed to happen either.

I was going to get a filter and exhaust too, but Im not going to bother now until I become a better driver, because Ill either end up disliking the car because I can no longer master it, or Ill end up in a hedge somewhere.

Seems to me that Renault may just have got it right at 172 after all.

Gary (with a whopping 178ish)

Ive received a reply from LAD saying the head only costs £1200 vs what cc mag says. Also, theyve asked me to relay this message, prob to Tom? Anyway here goes.

"Philip

As we do not have access to the Clio Web site and after reading one of the comments printed I was surprised in that it stated that someone from our company was at Snetterton recently and gave out a business card from L.A.D I would be very interested to try and find out who this was as nobody from our company has been anywhere near Snetterton and it is always our policy to spend time and talk to potential customers, as anyone visiting our company will tell you.We have built up our business over the last 27 years through being polite to people even if they have a very small budget to play with,and advice is always free. Phillip I would very much abiged if you could you put this on the Clio Website to put the record straight.
Regards
Ernie Larton
L.A.D Motorsport. "

yea, i saw that clio too!!!

I dont really think some people on here apprciate you sending what they say direct to the company.......

I like to think that im talking among people i know here, still......they are polite!

Erm Ben, sending? I enquired direct to LAD by email re their conversion, and they sent me the email which I passed on. My email didnt mention anything about Cliosport, somebody elses posts nor that I was a member.

Come to think of it LAD must be checking the posts to know that I was a member, although there must be more than one Philip???? It would be daft for anybody using this forum to send info about other member posts etc, we just have to assume that other people read our posts.

My own piece of advice to any supplier/manufacturer is to adopt an open attitude and actively participate in the forum and respond to peoples questions. Openness always pays. K-Tec and Hillpower are a good example. Theyre active on the forum and give us good feedback/details on their latest productcs.