ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Confused Track Clio MK1, MK2 & MK3 Content (01-Sep-12 DEADLINE)

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Lol yeah it takes a while to read lol. Yeah loads of effort and time more than anything the build itself has been quite resonible cost wise. Still gone over the 2k budget (inc buying the car) lol. Yeah the cage has been the biggest ballache. I wouldnt do it again but ill be glad to say that i have done a cage (not from scratch sod that)

Its getting there

Yeah can see by the pictures, whats the point in having money and not spending it though ey? i bet you always knew you was going to go over the budget really? ;) ill keep an eye on your thread to see what else has been done!

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Tbh I did t think it would go over budget. But the. Parts came up that I thought would benefit. I still want to get an aem gauge to monitor the afr and polycarbonate windows but that will probably be next year now as going fishing in France in September n need to buy a load more bits for that!

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Friday 10[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2012

Right I taken these pictures of the Phase 1 rear wiring loom some time during the week. These plugs connect to the fuel pump and fuel pump in the MK1 PH1’s. I sent these over to Bass and asked if he could take some snaps of the plugs that go into his PH1 tank on his orange beastie. I was hoping that with the pictures he would send I would somehow understand what plug goes where. Well that was the plan anyway.

My wiring:

610.jpg

611.jpg

And the pics Bass sent me:

612.jpg

613.jpg

Thanks mate

So armed with these I think its clear that the three pin plug is going to control the fuel gauge and the black and white is the earth and live.

I just need to get my hands on a Mk1 PH2 Fuel Pump Plug.

Also a few goodies had turned up during the week.

First off all my selection of Butt crimps in Red and Blue and some insulated spades (for my switches I am going to run).

614.jpg

Also my self amalgamating tape turned up....40m of it! Also bought these tow straps off of Barker as both the threads for my towing points were completely shagged! And got my throttle body welded up.

615.jpg

A couple more pictures of the throttle body:

616.jpg

617.jpg

Right enough of that now time to show you the work I done.

First of all was chopping a bit of the front bumper so I could fit the tow strap.

It went from this:

618.jpg

To this:

619.jpg

Then I drilled out the shagged thread:

620.jpg

There was not a lot more I could do with the tow straps as I didn’t have a long enough bolt that was adequate to do the job.

I then moved on to the throttle body. I had to file a few of the welds as it was affecting the fitting of the throttle body adaptor to the throttle body itself. (basically where I had opened up the mounting holes it was filled with a bit of weld as they were so close to the tube.)

I then removed the rubber from the standard airbox and placed that on the TB before putting the throttle body adaptor on. I then tightened up the nuts and secured it in place.

A few pics of it in situ:

621.jpg

622.jpg

623.jpg

And one with the silicone rubber in place as well as the airbox. I did have to cut down the silicone hose a little to get it to fit. (I would rather buy it to big than to small lol)

624.jpg

I then decided to have a look at the rear tow strap to see how I would mount that.

First of all I found two ally plates that where about 3mm thick so they should do the job! The problem was the holes were to small.

625.jpg

So back out came the drill.

626.jpg

Rear bumper off:

627.jpg

The plastic cushioning that absorbs the impact in a crash came off too.

628.jpg

I would have to chop this up a bit as it would be in the way when fitting the tow strap. But I wasn’t just going to bin it though. God forbid if I do end up getting hit up the arse or going off into a barrier somewhere I would like as much cushioning as poss lol.

The finished result was this:

629.jpg

I then chopped down one of the plates so that it would fit in the little gap between the two plastic walls.

630.jpg

Shagged tow thread:

631.jpg

Then drilled out to accommodate the new bolt (when I get it)

632.jpg

Trial fitted with the bumper over the top.

633.jpg

Lovely!

Next on the list was to try and address why I have not been getting any power to the fuel pump wiring. Without boring you to much I mated the two plugs together and done a little sketch to ensure that every wire that was on one side was on the other. Sure enough the big white one for the fuel pump did not have one on the other side so I removed the connection and put it on an empty yellow wire (Ignition live).

Job done!

634.jpg

Well I then spent ages consuming the 40 metres of amalgamated tape. I did the main interior loom, the bit from the scuttle that goes into the car, the engine fusebox wiring, the ecu wiring. I then got bored of that and I was seriously running low on tape!

Quick couple of pics as I know it’s not exactly exciting lol.

635.jpg

636.jpg

Saturday 11[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2012

Unfortunately I didn’t manage to get a full day down at the car as had a load of errands to run, fix my mates bike, go and watch the girlfriend do her show jumping on her horse so by the time I got down to the car it was already 3pm.

That morning though I had gone to the local bolt place and got two big b*****d bolts to hold my tow straps in place.

637.jpg

I then opened out the other hole on the tow strap as Barker had kindly done one for me already.

638.jpg

Parts required:

639.jpg

Parts fitted:

640.jpg

Next up was the rear tow strap so I grinded down one side of the washer and nylon nut as the distance between the chassis leg and the hole for the rear towing eye was a joke! If I had kept them at the standard size the bolt would go in on the piss and apply added shear tension to it which I did not obviously want.

641.jpg

I then trial fitted the rear tow strap and was not happy that I could not move the strap freely. This was because as I tightened it the chassis the material was getting crushed against the chassis so it could not move. This would have made it very difficult to move and on track should I need it. I don’t need to be pissing off the track staff lol.

This was how I got around it,

642.jpg

I then rebolted the tow strap in place and was very happy with the final outcome.

Front shot:

643.jpg

Side shot:

644.jpg

Re bumper back on (This was a b*****d to line up this time)

645.jpg

Close up of tow strap fitted:

646.jpg

Well this next pic is a before pic of the rear part of the loom before I began to tape it. I did forget to take an after but tbh it wasn’t that good as I ran out of tape before I finished.

647.jpg

I relooked at the position of the front tow strap and thought it was sticking out way too far for my liking.

648.jpg

I moved the tow strap to the back of the bolt instead of the front so there wasn’t as much sticking out. Not perfect but much better than before!

649.jpg

Also whilst at my local bolt shop this morning I got two jubilee clips so that I could fit my silicone hose and air box. This was the end result.

650.jpg

651.jpg

I then had to get something out of my nans shed that I had put in there, something for the car but I can’t remember now tbh. Anyway I was greeted by this beast. First of all I went to capture him with the top of a spray paint can lid, I must have disturbed the web as I went in to capture him but he soon sprawled out and I realised he wasn’t going to fit in there without me decapitating one of his legs. So out came a flower pot.

I swear my Nan is breeding these f*****s!

652.jpg

As a lot of the interior loom was all taped I thought I would start thinking about how I am going to mount the wiring etc.

Originally I had brought all of the wiring through the left hand side of the car but in the end I had a play about and moved it so it ran along the scuttle and then came through where the blower would be. Much neater in my opinion.

A few pics:

653.jpg

654.jpg

I then mocked up and drilled two holes through the fire wall so I could mount the main interior fuse box.

655.jpg

With this done there is not a lot more I can do until I get the top dash so I can figure out where I need the wiring to go for the clocks etc so I started back on the wiring of the wipers.

I remember noticing that when I used the 12volt tester on the wiper stalk I didn’t always get a light appear when I engaged the switch so I thought it must be dodgy. As I have about three spare I had remembered to bring one with me. I plugged it in connected the battery and flicked the switch and the wipers sprung into life! I was right the wiring is identical so no problems there.

Next on the list was the washer jets so with the battery still connected I taped the stalk into the wash wipe position and got the 12volt tester on the two plugs until I got the live for the front washer jet. With that I cut the wires and connected them to the washer bottle that I had bought of frank ages ago. (Obviously I disconnected the battery).

656.jpg

With the battery back on I tested the washers and the pump sprung into life. Perfect!

657.jpg

Only bit of wiring left on the car is the switches I want to install, fuel pump wiring, rear number plate light. I can’t do the number plate light or the fuel pump until I receive the plugs from Mat Brown. Hopefully they should be here shortly he is normally very quick!

I have also ordered some more tape to finish the loom and I should hopefully have enough to do the engine loom as well. But the engine loom will be done at a later date it’s not going to be something I have to do before the car goes on the road.

Also had some good news from Luke he is hoping to be well enough to do the welding on the cage next week so with any luck I may just meet my deadline...... still lots to do and the annoying thing is after all that work over the weekend I only managed to complete one item on my list.

Updated list:

Weld Front part of cage,
Repair sills where we chopped for the cage to fit
Profile and fit the bars that go to the suspension pick up
Make and fit a harness bar
Finish fuel pump wiring
Tape the entire loom
Touch up interior and cage where welding has to be done (matt Black)
Mount clocks
Make switch panel
Fit top dash
Fit indicator and wiper stalks
Install Fire Extinguisher
Install battery
Install isolator switch
Weld passenger seat sub frame
Plate holes in car
Run fuel lines
Make and run brake lines
Bleed brakes

Comments welcome.

Thanks for reading

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
Taken me bloody ages to read this from start to finish (well done by the way, looks great, if not a bit rough around the edges ;)) only to find no update since the 13th, I was hoping to have seen it finished or at least nearly!

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Taken me bloody ages to read this from start to finish (well done by the way, looks great, if not a bit rough around the edges ;)) only to find no update since the 13th, I was hoping to have seen it finished or at least nearly!

Yeah bit of a mission to read lol. Rough around the edges i dont know what you are saying are you saying my deburring when drilling holes is not adequate lol.

Also read the update below this should explain a bit more.

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Wednesday 15[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2012

Well my mate Beeson popped over and we did a little bit of work mocking up the switch panel and fitting the top dash. We only did some really rough stuff as the cage is not fitted it is difficult to eyer up where everything is going to go.

I did find another new friend though. God I hate spiders!

658.jpg

Sunday 19[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2012

Sorry for the lack of pictures but I find wiring very boring so dot really bother taking snaps.

Again did a bit more work on the car. During the week my number plate light plug turned up and ph2 fuel pump plug (thanks mat). And also another 40m of self amalgamating tape so I could finish the loom off.

I had a bit of help from my mate Lee.

First thing we did was sort the numberplate light by cleaning up the terminals and wiring it up.

Once we done that I tested it to make sure that it worked (which it did once I pissed around with the connection). I then focused my attention on the fuel pump wiring. First of all I removed the relay timer for the MK1 PH1 Aux Pump relay as it is not needed as I am running the MK1 PH2 pump. I then wired up the live and earth and guessed what the other two wires go to. I know one is the fuel gauge sender and the other for the fuel light (or I think anyway). Luckily they were the same colour on each side so it made sense to connect the same colours together.

Taped them in place and tested it. The fuel pump sprung into life but it did not prime and then turn off, it constantly ran. Not sure if this is going to be a problem or not. I think it may be because there is no fuel in there so the fuel rail is not getting the required pressure so it keeps trying to pump? GUIDANCE PLEASE?

Then again I could be chatting s**t so I am not too sure.

With everything working I crimped the number plate light wiring and finished taping the loom. The fuel pump wiring I am not too sure on atm so I have left it for the moment.

Next and finally on the list of wiring was the brake light switch. I had got it working but the switch was not engaging on the pedal properly so I decided to rob the one off the DCI 100. I pulled it out and compared it to the one in the track car. The track car’s one was considerably smaller. The switch looked identical so I thought it may be broken. I pulled the switch around and it sounded like it was on a ratchet. I gave it a good yank and then it popped out was the similar size to the DCI’s. Plugged it back in the pedal and now it operates as it should. Result! All wiring basically complete. :)

I finished taping the rest of the loom and then decided to mock fit the top dash in place. I placed it in the car and it wouldn’t sit properly. In the end I had to hack a bit out of one of the sides as it was fouling against a bracket. Done that and it sat nicely in position.

659.jpg

Didn’t really do anything after that as had promised the girlfriend I would spend some time with her as the weather was nice. So packed up and called it a night.

It did take me about 1 mile on the way home to realise that I didn’t put the brake switch back in position OOPS!

I haven’t really made a lot of progress on the car recently as it is very difficult to do anything that isn’t going to be taken out prior to the welding being done. I was hoping to say that the car would actually meet this target but sadly it’s not going to. As Luke has only just come back to work yesterday (20/08/2012) I don’t think it is fair of me to say come on let’s get on with the roll cage. Therefore I can only do silly little things to the car as I am not going to be able to start running fuel lines/ brake lines until all of the welding is done.

Have kind of lost heart in the project atm and I am really pissed off that I am not going to get a track day done before the end of September when I go away fishing in france for a week.

It has taken me about 8 months so im sure another few won’t matter. :(

Im hoping to get the wiring sorted out underneath my scuttle panel and block the hole for where the heater will go. I then need to think of a way to protect the plugs that I have put in there for the main loom (to make the interior tidier) to ensure that they do not get wet from the scuttle panel. Not too sure what I am going to do yet.

Hoping to get that done so I can put the scuttle and the wipers on and the car will be complete (from the outside)

Then I am hoping that Luke feels up to repairing the bits we cut out so I can at least stick the roll cage in so I can get a gauge of where things will fit. Then I can make my switch panel and focus on that for the time being. If the cage was welded in by the weekend I reckon at a push I could get the car roadworthy (not finished like all the tarty bits) but the bare basics there.

Sorry for not a particularly interesting update but that is all I have done at the moment.

More updates soon......if more welding is done.

Ive been skimming through the thread, that dash looks really nice, i know you've probably put it somewhere but whats it off? i'd love to do this to mine in the future.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That throttle body plate that you've had welded up, whilst very very good looking, is surely creating a massive restriction?!

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Ive been skimming through the thread, that dash looks really nice, i know you've probably put it somewhere but whats it off? i'd love to do this to mine in the future.

The top dash is from a MK1 clio mate. Unfrotunately i dont think it will be straight forward to mount but ill worry about that later.

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
That throttle body plate that you've had welded up, whilst very very good looking, is surely creating a massive restriction?!

Yes and no really.

The plastic alternatives are absolutely crap. Although the follow the profile better they are just really craply made and like rocking horse s**t to get hold of. Unles you know the supplier of them.

The only restriction will be very minimal in my opinion as it is only 1 half of the top (partial throttle) butterfly that isnt directly going to get air.

It can be seen in this picture.

623.jpg

Please bear in mind this is upside down this picture.

Also if i feel it is holding back then i will just remove it and make something else. It hasnt cost me a great deal of money so im not to worried if it doesnt have the desired effect.

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
UPDATE TIME

Tuesday 21[SUP]st[/SUP] August 2012

Well I have forgotten to update my to do list as I have been going along

Weld Front part of cage,
Repair sills where we chopped for the cage to fit
Profile and fit the bars that go to the suspension pick up
Make and fit a harness bar
Touch up interior and cage where welding has to be done (matt Black)
Mount clocks
Make switch panel
Fit top dash
Fit indicator and wiper stalks
Install Fire Extinguisher
Install battery
Install isolator switch
Weld passenger seat sub frame
Plate holes in car
Run fuel lines
Make and run brake lines
Bleed brakes

Tuesday 21[SUP]st[/SUP] August 2012

Well first thing on today’s list was to sort out the wiring that goes through the bulkhead and into the scuttle panel. Currently the wiring can chaff and rub against the metal of the bulkhead even though I had deburred it. So therefore I got some trim tidy and put that around the edges of the holes to try and prevent any damage to the wiring.

660.jpg

I the put the rubber grommet on that sits in place on the MK1 Clio’s.

661.jpg

P-clip used to hold the wiring to the shell to try and tidy it up.

662.jpg

Then some roof sealing tape (sticky as hell) was put on the backside of the wiring to ensure no water gets in.

663.jpg

And finally the same tape was put over the wiring where the hole for the blowers goes.
Not the neatest of jobs but will definitely do the job.

664.jpg

Wednesday 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] August 2012

I tripped of these that go on the car from the subframe to the chassis. So I thought I had better fit them. Gave them a quick clean with a wire brush to remove as much of the excess crap as I could before I gave them a lick of paint.

665.jpg

I then went into my nans shed to grab some paint and found this beaut. I will be so glad when all of my stuff is out of here and I don’t have to go in there anymore lol.

666.jpg

I then proceeded to fit my race battery with some plumbers punch strapping that I got from a mate that funnily enough is a plumber.

667.jpg

I then bolted the fire extinguisher in place to stop it rattling around. It fits quite nicely under the passenger’s seat.

668.jpg

Next on the agenda was to make a little plate to cover the heater matrix hole but ensure that I put a hole big enough for the speedo cable to go through.

Picture from the inside:

669.jpg

Picture from inside the engine bay.

670.jpg

Speedo cable fitted.

671.jpg

A quick picture of how the interior looks with the top dash in place.

672.jpg

I also bought one of these to monitor the AFR’s that I’m getting in the car. Thanks a bunch Reevio!

673.gif

Thursday 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] August 2012

Well some more progress had to be made on the cage as this is one of the things that is really slowing this build up. Because Luke has been off with appendicitis and pretty busy I was glad to borrow him for another night.

I apologise now as there are not many pictures we just got on with it to be honest.

A few pictures of getting the cage in position.

674.jpg

675.jpg

And obviously the classic welding in progress picture.

676.jpg

Unfortunately we didn’t have much luck as I had run out of wire b the end of the night so it pretty much came to a standstill. Also with the night darkness drawing in closer it made it very difficult for Luke to see what he was doing! We managed to get the front part of the cage tack welded in place and a few of the tubes properly welded before we run out of wire. The only bar in the front that we did not put in was the top roof bar. This would be the last bar to put in for the front.

Friday 24[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2012

As Luke had pretty much welded the front dash bar in place that meant I could start fitting all of the instruments to it so that I could at least make some progress on that. First job was to remove the outside temperature module on the Williams clocks as it was not going to work due to running no loom to the door.

677.jpg

A couple of cheeky pics in the daylight of the cage and some of the stuff fitted.

678.jpg

679.jpg

680.jpg

I then fitted my washer bottle in the passenger footwell just before the main engine fusebox. I didn’t think it was going to fit at first but after a bit of perseverance I got there in the end. I think it looks quite tidy!

681.jpg

Next on the job was to fit the crimp ends to the power cable so that I could attach it to the battery. I placed a bit of heat shrink over the top of the terminal just to tidy it up a bit.

682.jpg

I then fitted the isolator switch into the top of the top dash. This is only a temporary measure until I get the switch panel made up and all the switches mounted. To be honest I am not too worried if the switch panel is done before she is on the road this is something I can do at a later date.

683.jpg

Another picture of the interior of the car....slowly coming together.

684.jpg

The bit of tubing that I am missing to connect the washer bottle. I know its somewhere in my pile of bits but haven’t managed to put my hands on it just yet.

685.jpg

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
AND ANOTHER UPDATE!

Saturday 25[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2012

Well my AEM gauge had turned up yesterday so I decided to fit it to the car.

686.jpg

First of all I had to remove the under car heat shield as with the lambda sensor in for the AEM gauge it fouls against it.

Before:

687.jpg

After:
688.jpg

Fitted:
689.jpg

I then fitted the freshly painted supports that bolt from the subframe to the chassis:

690.jpg

Next on the list was to finally run all of the brake lines through the car. I’m not going to caption against each image but you will get the gist of what I have done.

691.jpg

692.jpg

693.jpg

694.jpg

695.jpg

696.jpg

697.jpg

698.jpg

699.jpg

700.jpg

701.jpg

702.jpg

703.jpg

I then got a couple of my mates to come over and lend a hand with bleeding the brakes. As the rear brakes work off of one line you have to bleed them at the same time so we topped the brake reservoir up with fluid and my mate stomped of the pedal a few times to check for leaks and sure enough I hadn’t flanged one of the lines correctly off of the master cylinder. Oh well not to worry a quick drain and reflange and we were good to go.

Once the brakes where bled I pretty much called it a night as I was taking the girlfriend out for dinner. Low and behold I was late....this didn’t go down to well lol especially as I had done the car a lot this week.

Sunday 26[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2012
As the car was still jacked up on 4 axle stands I thought I would take the opportunity to refurb the wheels especially as it was a reasonable day.

All of the wheel where cleaned up, masked up and then ready for paint.

By no means is this a professional job it was purely just a quick coat to make them look reasonable.

704.jpg

Bit of primer:

705.jpg

Whilst waiting for the paint to dry I cracked on with a few more jobs.

Other chassis to subframe support fitted:

706.jpg

AEM gauge temporarily fitted to the instrument cluster until I make my switch panel.

707.jpg

Heat shield fitted: (Will probably make another one that protects the brake reservoir and brake lines a bit more.

708.jpg

Air filter re-oiled.

709.jpg

By this point the wheel was dry enough to handle so I bolted it on to the car. I had a paint pen lying about and as I wasn’t really motivated I thought I would colour in the writing on the tyres. I think it looks quite good but I will probably remove it as it gives the game away a bit too much!

710.jpg

I then finished off spraying the wheel and colouring in the lettering on the tyres with a pain pen. Once they were all dry I put them on the car so I could get it moved as my Nan and granddad wanted the shelter back.

Halfway through moving the car I decided to take a few cheeky snaps.

711.jpg

712.jpg

713.jpg

Tuesday 28[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2012

Not an amazing update but another one none the less.

Well a mate had some chrome moly tube lying about that would be perfect for a harness bar so I pinched 1 metre off of him. He also had some other tube lying about that would be perfect for the connecting tubes to hold it in place. So I pinched 2 of those off of him too. Although they were a bit ott on the wall thickness I still wanted to use them as it saves me messing about trying to find the correct wall thickness tube.

I had also gone to machine mart to buy another bottle of gas as I didn’t want to be in the position last time of running out and not getting the full use of Luke lol.

Wednesday 29[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2012

Not an amazing update but something that is very important. I had forgotten that the size of the fuel filter is different between the MK1 and MK2 so the MK1 fuel filter I had bought would be useless. So gave the MK1 filter back to the girlfriend to swap for a MK2 item and here it is.

714.jpg

Also Luke came over that evening to finish off welding in the roll cage (well the front part anyway). Unfortunately no pictures but we did manage to get every weld done in the front. That enabled us to make a start on chopping up the rear bars to make them suit the rear part of the cage, unfortunately before we knew it we had to pack up as we started losing light about 8pm. I hate these dark evenings!

Thursday 30[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2012

Not a massive update but a few parts turned up that I had bought.

Thanks to James for the Williams ECU and thanks to Alan for the fuel lines and the plastic bit for the column.

715.jpg

716.jpg

Saturday 1[SUP]st[/SUP] September 2012

First on the to do list was to attach the plastic bit that sits around the column to hold the wiper and light stalk.

717.jpg

I had to trim it a little bit to get it to fit correctly bit here is the finished result.
718.jpg

Next was to paint the welded areas that Luke had done on the previous Wednesday.

A couple of snaps:

719.jpg

720.jpg

Whilst that was drying I decided to fit the fuel lines. This was a bit of a pain in the arse as the MK1’ fuel lines where completely different to the MK2 ones so I improvised and used a mixture of the two that I had to make a complete set. I won’t bore you with captions to the pictures they are quite self explanatory.

721.jpg

722.jpg

723.jpg

724.jpg

725.jpg

I had just about got this finished when my mate Luke (not the welder) popped over to have a look at the car.

It didn’t take him long to convince me to try and fire the car up as everything was on and connected. The last element was fuel.

So we popped to Tesco got some optimum 99 and put about 10 litres in. Double checked everything and then tried to crank her over.

Basically my race battery was dead as a dodo so I ended up jumping it of my DCI 100. First of all I let the fuel pump prime a few times to get the fuel up there, then I disconnected the king lead and let her crank for 30 seconds to ensure that all of the oil had circulated around the engine. I then plugged the king lead back in and cranked her over. She cranked and cranked but would not fire.

Without dragging the story out to much as I didn’t have most of my engine spares at my nans (I had taken them home the previous week) there wasn’t a lot that I could do apart from check earths and stuff like that.

Got the hump with it and called it a night. I was sure that it was the coil pack as I wasn’t getting spark.

Sunday 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] September 2012

Well a new day and an old problem. I had taken down with me the following spares to swap about on the car to see if I could get her to fire.

Spare Flywheel Sensor,
2 Spare Earth Cables for the Coil pack (White wire that plugs to the coil pack
1 spare king lead
1 Spare Williams ECU

Basically throughout the day with Luke and Lee’s help we tried everything to get the old girl started. Unfortunately we had no luck even after trying all of the spares that I had brought.

This kind of made me really doubt what I had done. I think where I have chopped down the interior loom I have removed a wire that sends the signal to the coil pack even though I am getting power to it! God know what I have done but I haven’t got the time to fault find and find out what is wrong with the loom (if anything) so I am planning to get another interior loom to rule out that possibility.

I was massively pissed off with the car by this point so called it a day.

I did manage to give the rear top level brake light a coat of matt black paint. It looks horrible but will do for the time being.

726.jpg

Monday 10[SUP]th[/SUP] September 2012

So from 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] of September 2012 to today I have not been down to the car or touched it as I am that hacked off with it! Plus the fact that I have been fishing a lot more recently due to my fishing trip to France at the end of the month so want to prepare for that, also my Astra VXR got picked up yesterday as that sold and of course spending some more time with the girlfriend as I have recently been neglecting her.

I am hoping to try and finish off the rear part of the roll cage this week with Luke’s help and hopefully my new PH2 interior loom will turn up before the end of the week so I can see what is going on with that.

I am not too sure whether I will have the time or the funds to get the car on the road before the fishing trip as I want to focus on that due to the amount of money that is now costing me!

Time will tell and as always

Thanks for reading and apologies as I probably have missed a few things,

Comments welcome.

Thanks Dan

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
It wasnt that because we took the plugs out and they were not soaked, Its getting fuel to the rail not sure if it going through the injectors though thats something else i need to check

Rules out immobiliser issues then, best thing is unplug the cold start injector under the inlet, as this can cause all sorts of issues when trying a first start.Do you have a noid light? if not, Remove the rail and place it against the inlet, and unplug the coil using the white plug. Quick 1 second crank will show if the inectors are firing

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Sorry whats a noid light?

Thats would work but surely if the injectors are not firing then it wold be an issue with the ECU as this tells it when to fire and what cylinder.

A noid light is a bulb that plugs into the injecotr plug and flashes when the ecu triggers it. The va;ver/williams is a batch fire system, so fires all 4 at the same time. it might not be an ecu issue, it could be a crank sensor issue, or wiring.

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Its probalby wiring then but thanks for the advice i will try and get one of those lights, i had a quick look on eba and there are multiple vcariations do you know which one i need?

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Well you would have thought that the car would be all done now but its not. Anyway an update none the less

Tuesday 11[SUP]th[/SUP] September 2012

Something that I wanted to check on the car was the position of the knock sensor plug and 5[SUP]th[/SUP] injector plug as I was sure that I had them around the wrong way. I was right. Although this didn’t enable me to start the car I thought it was best to put them around the right way.

727.jpg

Next on the list was bolting the mounts to the rear struts so that Luke and I could start welding the harness bar in place.

728.jpg

With that done we cut the harness bar to length and then cut the mounting tubes to suit. Luke then welded them up. I didn’t get any pictures of this as it was getting dark but I did get a few of what the car currently looks like.

729.jpg

730.jpg

Thursday 13[SUP]th[/SUP] September 2012

With the harness bar all done I wanted to scurf the welds back to ensure there were no sharp edges for the harnesses to rip or tear on. Below are a few pictures of the harness bar and the finished scurfed back result.

731.jpg

732.jpg

733.jpg

I finally got hold of my aerial blank so I cleaned the surrounding area and fitted it. Happy days.

734.jpg

I then primed and sprayed the welded areas black to try and tidy up the cage a little bit. This was the end result on the passenger side.

735.jpg

Next on the list was spraying the harness bar.

736.jpg

In primer:

737.jpg

And a few coats of black:

738.jpg

A quick snap before the harness bar was fitted:

739.jpg

And after the harness bar was fitted.

740.jpg

As you can see from the picture it started to get dark so I tidied up and called it a night.

Friday 14[SUP]th[/SUP] September 2012

With the harness bar fitted I wanted to see how the harnesses would look mounted so I wrapped them around the harness bar and then drilled holes in the floor pan and fitted some harness bar stress plates to take the load. Pictures below.

741.jpg

742.jpg

743.jpg

744.jpg

Next on the list I removed this off of the bottom of the column as I kept hitting my knee on it when getting in and out of the car.

746.jpg

This is what it looked like afterwards.

745.jpg

I then removed the handle that has the adjustment to move the steering wheel up and down as I wanted to get rid of the bulky handle.

Picture of the mechanism removed.

747.jpg

Picture of the handle chopped down a bit so I didn’t hit that when getting in and out of the car.

748.jpg

And fitted back to the car fully functional.

749.jpg

Sunday 16[SUP]th[/SUP] September 2012

Not an exciting update but these turned up from demon tweeks today as I needed another 2 stress plates for the passenger side. I ended up ordering 4 just so I could have a couple spare.

750.jpg

Not exciting updates but I have done a lot more to the car but I have just forgotten to take pictures. A few extra things that have been done. The tags have been welded to the passenger seat so that I could mount it to the runner and fit it to the car. I also re sprayed the rear top brake light but this time I plastic primered it first so it didn’t react. It doesn’t look to bad.

I spent the majority of my time playing about with the wiring loom to try and get the car running. I ended up buying a new mk1 ph2 rear loom and main interior loom. The car still didn’t start. I then looked into it a bit further and through some advise I found out that my engine loom was in fact a phase 1 so I ordered another engine and scuttle loom again mk1 ph2.

751.jpg

752.jpg

753.jpg

754.jpg

Since then I have been on holiday fishing in france so I spent ages preparing for that etc so the car has been kind of put on the back burner until YESTERDAY!

Sunday 9[SUP]th[/SUP] October 2012

Well after getting back from France 8[SUP]th[/SUP] October and spending some time with the GF I decided to do a bit of work on the clio as the weather was reasonable and I am drastically running out of time before the car gets locked up for winter. Plus the fact that I have been paying for insurance for 5 weeks now and the car has not even been on the road yet.

First thing I did was remove the engine loom from the car! What a pain in the arse it was to get to the starter motor with the 172 manifold in place! Also don’t run wiring through hoses that you have to remove especially when the anti freeze is full lol.

755.jpg

I then removed the scuttle loom and laid it all out against the new mk1 ph 2 loom I had purchased off of mat brown. Thanks again mate.

I then cut off the connectors for the side lights and put them on to the new loom (as I'm using mk2 lights which have different plugs). I also extended the oil pressure wire as the phase 2 engine loom is different. I also repaired the fan switch wiring and sorted out a few other bits.

I then routed all of the engine bay and scuttle loom through the car. Plugged it all together. Cranked it over for a few seconds so that the oil circulated around engine. I then plugged the fuel pump in and connected the king lead and cranked her over and she sprung into life. When I first started her it sounded like the lifters where hanging out the engine and the exhaust was blowing but I was just pleased that she started. I let her warm up and let the fan kick in a few times. After she got hot I noticed a little puddle of oil. So I quickly shut her off and then investigated. By the look of it, the leak it is coming from the rear pressure sensor so I need to take that off and look closer. I also noticed that the manifold is slightly hitting the subframe making it vibrate through the car so I am going to have to remove the subframe and grind down the flange a bit. Not too many things to do now yippee. I'm actually getting somewhere.

Very bad video of the car. I should have taken one once she warmed up as the lifter noise is considerably quieter now! Video will come later once i upload it

Thanks for reading

Dan

Last edited:
  Clio III PH1
Boy I love this thread! Lot's of pictures and great description.
Dan, I can't see the last two pictures. I so do want to see that babe working! :rasp:

PS: The tires are looking very racing now xD

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Boy I love this thread! Lot's of pictures and great description.
Dan, I can't see the last two pictures. I so do want to see that babe working! :rasp:

PS: The tires are looking very racing now xD

Thanks dude its getting there.

Hopefully with any luck the rest of the tubes shal be welded in but that is weather dependant. Then i can start doing the finishing touches!

Also its because i havent uploaded them yet. The new work laptop i have will not allow me to bloody plug my iphone in and take the pictures off! so i have to email them and i have been working away the last four days which is a pain as my remote log on isnt working. f**king laptop not configured properly!

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
As i cannot edit my post here is the pictures and videos attached to the last piece of text.

I spent the majority of my time playing about with the wiring loom to try and get the car running. I ended up buying a new mk1 ph2 rear loom and main interior loom. The car still didn’t start. I then looked into it a bit further and through some advise I found out that my engine loom was in fact a phase 1 so I ordered another engine and scuttle loom again mk1 ph2.

751.jpg

752.jpg

753.jpg

754.jpg

Since then I have been on holiday fishing in france so I spent ages preparing for that etc so the car has been kind of put on the back burner until YESTERDAY!

Sunday 9[SUP]th[/SUP] October 2012

Well after getting back from France 8[SUP]th[/SUP] October and spending some time with the GF I decided to do a bit of work on the clio as the weather was reasonable and I am drastically running out of time before the car gets locked up for winter. Plus the fact that I have been paying for insurance for 5 weeks now and the car has not even been on the road yet.

First thing I did was remove the engine loom from the car! What a pain in the arse it was to get to the starter motor with the 172 manifold in place! Also don’t run wiring through hoses that you have to remove especially when the anti freeze is full lol.

755.jpg

I then removed the scuttle loom and laid it all out against the new mk1 ph 2 loom I had purchased off of mat brown. Thanks again mate.

I then cut off the connectors for the side lights and put them on to the new loom (as I'm using mk2 lights which have different plugs). I also extended the oil pressure wire as the phase 2 engine loom is different. I also repaired the fan switch wiring and sorted out a few other bits.

I then routed all of the engine bay and scuttle loom through the car. Plugged it all together. Cranked it over for a few seconds so that the oil circulated around engine. I then plugged the fuel pump in and connected the king lead and cranked her over and she sprung into life. When I first started her it sounded like the lifters where hanging out the engine and the exhaust was blowing but I was just pleased that she started. I let her warm up and let the fan kick in a few times. After she got hot I noticed a little puddle of oil. So I quickly shut her off and then investigated. By the look of it, the leak it is coming from the rear pressure sensor so I need to take that off and look closer. I also noticed that the manifold is slightly hitting the subframe making it vibrate through the car so I am going to have to remove the subframe and grind down the flange a bit. Not too many things to do now yippee. I'm actually getting somewhere.

Very bad video of the car. I should have taken one once she warmed up as the lifter noise is considerably quieter now!

Thanks for reading

Dan

th_9085DA87-551E-49B1-B518-657764F6B290-2106-0000029217D5387D.jpg

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Dan, looking good, but very importantly, do NOT NOT NOT under any circumstances use that harness bar, or ever consider mounting the harness from the top of the rear shocks!! That's very dangerous and has no strength at all