ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LAD conversion 172mk2

Had my car back a week following engine conversion at LAD. Must say i am really pleased with it. Took some in gear times just with a stopwatch on the speedo and seems to be a fair bit quicker than a standard cup and the engine is likely to be still quite tight with only 1200 miles on it. Subjectively I would say performance was similar to a mk3 Subaru WRX but not quite as quick as my previous car an original Subaru Turbo. There do not appear to be any downsides as car idles perfectlly and seems better throughout the rev range. Claimed power is about 168 at the wheels 200 the crank and you just leave your car for a week. Throttle bodies or a supercharger may be even better but this is a no hassle option that I would definitely recommend. I think there is a review of the LADs own car coming up in Car & Car Conversions or go and visit them in Morcambe and see what you think.

This is a great add!!!!

And where is the conversion in head work? what do they do?

std manifold and TB and cams? and only a midly worked head.......i didnt think they touched the bottom end? or is t a reference to the actual milage of the car in total?

Cost and what was done exactly?

The head in std trim flows enogh for well over 200bhp, so i doubt increasing flow alone gained anything, unless specific work was done on the seats to improve flow, but even then, low lifts only account for a tiny amount of time and dont gain much on a performance engine.

Ta!

Ben

Not meant to be an add - and I did not post anything for a week as I was not that familiar with the clio before i had it converted so quite difficult to judge performance accurately but in gear times I have measured (crudely) showed 3rd gear times for 10mph increments consistently at about 1.8s from 50 -80 4th for 10mph increments and 4th gear 2.8s all the way from 60 - 100. The figures I have on the cup from EVO are fairly close up to about 80 in fourth but slower thereafter. For a sport to match a cup assuming similar passenger load I guess you would need about 9% more power (15bhp) so I think there must be at least 20bhp - when I get a chance I will try and get a power run on it. Cost is £1200 for engine work - not sure of details but as far as I know just head work and possibly altered cam timing? Obviously i have spent my own money on it so I want to be pleased with it so the best way for people to judge is wait for the CCC roadtest or go and try a car for themselves. LADs own car is a cup with filter and exhaust as well and that does feel quicker than my car - but then you would expect that. Not sure if it has lost anything at the bottom of the rev range but no obvious problems.

Greg

1200 quid a for a touchup on a head tat flows great as std and altering of cam timing that already has VVT phasing to advance the inlet!!!??

Doesnt seem very good VFM and i realy dont think gains with headwork alone will be that good, spesh with the patheticly sized TB.

Im with you Dogmaul.......something smells rather offensive.

ooh i just had a great idea will you pay me 1200 to claim i have done something to your car pretty please i can also take chunks out of your head if ya want (now where is my power sander):D

mate trust me if i had the money i dont think there would be anyone this side of patrick head that would get my money other than u :)

awww......how sweet....

But im not sure i could just take your money, eventhough you just offered......

i would have to do some work.....perhaps bolt on some chicken wire and a big tailpipe trim..good for 40bhp!

Oh, i would rather go to adrian Newey than Patrick......lol

can i have go faster stripes aswell ooh and those comedy fingers on the door edge im sure they must be worth a few extra bhp and a sunstrip with kevin and sandra on it they make your car go like stink

(ok so im not so good with my F1 tech gurus :()

Fair comment, I just relied on reputation ( magazine reviews over many years) and demonstrator test drive. The conversion is essentially just cylinder head work, the cams are not changed all I did not know was whether the cam timing was changed or not? As for the price I chose to spend some of the money I saved by buying an import on the conversion. Although this conversion is not cheap a decent filter and chip would cost you £450 with minimal labour so head porting + fitting will always be quite a lot more.

im sure LAD have a dubious reputation anyway dont they. yes flowing a head costs alot but what ben is quite rightly saying is there is very little you can do to it to make it better as its all ready very good. and im sure you would hav ebeen better off with a nice pair of TBs oh and the noise :devilish:

trust me mate.....fitting is no more than 200 to engine bulders....its easy work...

but a head that gosts a grand should be something REALLY REALLY special...im talking BTCC spec here.....

And from my findings, the 172 head is good for 215BHP on std cams, with unchanged timing on quad TBs. So, flow was never a problem.........all their conversions seem to be ported heads with nothing else.....a head wont give anything unless you use the right combination of parts to reap that power.

the head can be made a fair bit better, but youll only need it if you are aiming for 250bhp plus......the loss in velocity far outweighs the gain in flow.

If you know what you are doing I m sure things cn be cheaper but K-tec want £2300 for throttle bodies and Hill Power £1700 for a ported head?

Quote: Originally posted by GregMcN on 09 March 2003

Claimed power is about 168 at the wheels 200 the crank
Have you got anything to back this up or did they just tell you thats what it was!

ben-r £2300 for t/b,s is a good price you say,wouldyou have t/b,s over supercharge,i live 10min,s from k-tek,i might wait and let them fit t/b,s, what about the ecu wont i need a remap, k=tek dont have a rolling road

I dont like forced induction.

Low boost use is fine, but high boost applications ona small motor leads to lag, and id rather have an engine running off cam then off boost. The noise is also a million times more sexy.

If you have them fit TBs, you will need a new ECU, not a remap, the std RENIX system is not capable of running quad throttlebodies, more importantly, it wasnt desogned to.

K-Tec dont, then you must go where there is a RR......

I really would do some research and not jump in teh deep end head first with lead boots on. I see far too much of this, people not knowing what is what and ending up not going for it.

Call me a cynic, but this post just pops up after a heated discussion about LADs 172 conversion in the General forum. Theres no real detail on whats actually done for £1200, and no before and after independant rolling road print-outs. Sounds like not-so-stealth marketing to me!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

its gotta be an advert

he claims he dosent know what they did but yet seems quite knowledgeable about engine tuning, if it was me id want to know exactly what they did and how and even why!!

oh and he compared the two LAD rivals on pricing as soon as he could

Lionel Richie

mailto:enquiries@ladmotorsport.co.uk">enquiries@ladmotorsport.co.uk

someone want to e-mail them and ask them some questions *cough* BenR?????

FRST and 106 GTi

bahhh turbo the damn thing!!! do it the right way... WHERE IN HELL IS JOE?????????????????

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

wow, dis ones a bit bitchy! but hey, rightly so as 1200 for wot? i rang prima racing after demon tweeks told me they dont do tbs for the 172 as they had problems with the electronics, prima quoted 2950 (Queens royal english pound) the guy said theyd had no such problems, altho it was hard work talking to him as he was not that helpful and i had to really squeeze him for info...like he didnt believe i could afford it i think...wanka. havnt spoken to k-tek so dont kno bout their price, sounds good tho.

I wish id never started this!

For the record I have nothing to do with LAD just passing on information I thought this was what the forum was for. The only reason I looked up the K-tec and Hill prices was because you were all telling me what a prat I was for spending £1200. I am new to the forum because I have just bought a 172 and had it modified. Maybe I could have got a better option somewhere else but Im pleased with my car and was pleased with the service I got all I ever suggested was try the demonstrator or read the magazine review.

GregMcN

Good that you posted the article as I dont know of anyone else who has had head work done on the 172. Come along to future meetings and Im very interested to see your car on the rollers to see what it knocks out. Which part of the country are you based in?

CTR EK9 turbo

Hi, welcome to the forum. Did you stopwatch your times before you got the work done? sounds like its done some good. Are you going to get TBs next? do LAD offer this also? what about cams? is it worth it?

sorry Greg, i dont think we were meat to start an arguement, but just a lack of info and a great writeup after a heated discussion previously....kinda alot of coincedences.

Anyway, LAD are not the most highly rated anymore due to their overblown claims which they never deliver. Although, not quite down there with Prima! lol

Still sounds like an advert to me.... But who cares eh, its been more fun having someone come on here and doing this than LAD coming on and posting something themselfs..... Then again i think LAD are too scared to do it themselfs because BenR would cut there arms off ;)

Hey gregmcn why dont you chuck it on the rollers and see if everyone is correct about the claimed power figure. I am no expert but after reading benr s posts im sure he knows what he is talking about. So it would be nice to see what you have got for £1200.

320d M Sport

hmmm, im a bit sceptical im afraid. NOBODY would spend well over a grand and not have some kinda RR evidence or pictures even! :confused:

FRST and 106 GTi

GregMcN, dont worry mate! You should have seen the replys I got when I first posted here... I was taged as a criminal!!! eheh

All the ppl here just want know whats best for their cars! some "tuning enterprises" just dont deliver what they promise. LAD has started to go that way... :(

Keep on posting here at cliosport.net and youll see that everybody is ok (cant say that about BenR thou :p eheheh joking mate!)

at least you got the balls to try head work on a 172. Congratiolations! If it doesnt deliver more power, it will if you go to TBs more than a std head.

Keep up!