ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

laptop hard drive replacement

A4 Avant
I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop. It's brilliant in everyway, I just wish now I'd specced it with more storage! So I now want to replace the hard drive. On my order it specs the disk drive as:

80GB (5,400 rpm) SATA Hard Drive.

I've seen this which seems a good price:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=108779

This would be compatiable with my laptop wouldn't it?

If it is is there anyway of mirroring my existing Drive onto a new drive and then just plugging it in?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Should work as far as I'm aware. The only way to mirror it would be to put one of the drives in usb caddy, then use some mirroring software.

A4 Avant
I just don't want to splash out £75 if it's not going to work!

What do you recommend to mirror it with if I put both drives in my desktop pc?

182 w/busted splitter :-(
You don't necessarily need to put both drives in a desktop PC (they won't fit as standard without adapters, anyway!)

I use Acronis Workstation for this sort of thing; I've a cheap (£6) USB caddy, when I need to 'clone' a laptop, I just stick the 'new' drive in the caddy, then boot from the Acronis CD (which is all 'wizard' based) it allows simple cloning of a whole disk or partitions, with automagic re-sizing as it goes.

Once cloned, take the 'new' drive out of the caddy, swap it into the laptop, reboot, and enjoy.

Fabia vRS
yes they will plug into a desktop machine without a problem.

sata 2.5" laptop drives use exactly the same connectors as 3.5" sata desktop drives.