ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laquering alloys?

Focus ST170
Hi All,

Ok ive been referbing my alloys and it came to laquering them this afternoon now i did the first coat and went check on them after 30mins or so and ive got kind of 'build up' of some kind at the ends of the spokes but i gave them an even coating in a warm room so i cant understand why they have done this HELP? :eek:

John,

Focus ST170
cant at the moment mate but it just looks like the laquer has run down the spokes and pooled at the ends... doesnt make seens as it was an even coat tho?

Punto/Clio GTT
did the basecoat look fine? didnt have any runs in that or in the primer that youve missed?

you spraying them somewhere warm?

Focus ST170
yeah base coat was fine and primer no rns at all, WAS looking great yeah spraying them indoors so warm as..

Punto/Clio GTT
sounds like youve overlapped at that spot and its just got too wet and run then?

let it dry, give it a wetflat, if you break through the basecoat id probably dust a bit more primer on, wetflat that, basecoat, re-laquer

just be careful when you primer/basecoat, dust it on very finely or itll react like a mother fucker

106 GTI
be very gentle wetflatting, use soapy water. Go very slow with 2000+ grit, dont aim for a glossy finish just giv very light dustings of laquer. POlish will give the shine you want

Ph1 172 + Combo van
time between coats depends on how warm the room is and how thick you slapped on the previous coat.

i like to put the coat on when the previous one is still slightly tacky to reduce the chance of the paint or lacquer running. or getting orange peel.

Punto/Clio GTT
ok cool how long to let it dry for FM?

you got hot air gun or something? air dry, overnight, with hot airgun should be dry in 20 minutes

use wetordry paper, anything from p600 upto p1200, anything lower than p1200 and you'll be flatting the run out for ages and ages

106 GTI
you got hot air gun or something? air dry, overnight, with hot airgun should be dry in 20 minutes

use wetordry paper, anything from p600 upto p1200, anything lower than p1200 and you'll be flatting the run out for ages and ages

Using a 2000 grit may take a bit longer but less chance of rubbing through

Punto/Clio GTT
Using a 2000 grit may take a bit longer but less chance of rubbing through

but hes got multiple runs at the ends of his spokes, he can try wetflatting all the runs out, but he'll break through, put money on it, especially as he cant use a block

just wetflat them out and respray the wheel, alot quicker than messing about trying to wetflat laquer runs out of wheels

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Another Q about laquer....... just done some mirror caps in Black Gold. One of them has come out bob on, (well fekin awesome for a rattle can job tbh) but on the other morror, the laquer had two milky shadows in it. On closer inspection they look like tiny air bubbles. Had to flat it back and redo.... These were done in a heated shed at the same time, as said one is perfect. What would cause this?

titanium ph1
Another Q about laquer....... just done some mirror caps in Black Gold. One of them has come out bob on, (well fekin awesome for a rattle can job tbh) but on the other morror, the laquer had two milky shadows in it. On closer inspection they look like tiny air bubbles. Had to flat it back and redo.... These were done in a heated shed at the same time, as said one is perfect. What would cause this?

its probably solvent pop you get it when to much lacquer is applyed too quick then when the solvent in the paint trys to escape you get tiny little bubbles .just need to apply paint more eveny an give enough drying time between coats

Black Gold Trophy
I've found you can usually wet sand runs out with some 800 grade and then go over with some 2000 grade and give it a polish to get some shine on it.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
its probably solvent pop you get it when to much lacquer is applyed too quick then when the solvent in the paint trys to escape you get tiny little bubbles .just need to apply paint more eveny an give enough drying time between coats

Sounds about right!!! I gave them both three good coats, but was probably a bit trigger happy :eek: So what would you recommend? Last coat of basecoat (dry for how long?) Then a few good coats of clearcoat say 20 mins apart?