ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Latest on my Saab - now running 300hp 390lbft (pic+vid)

Leon Cupra 300
Thought i'd check in as i still look at here as my 'home' site.

Had it since July now. In that time i've had 2 issues, siezed pump for the headlight washers. Fitted a £18 replacement on my drive in about half hour. Second was a bit worse, a broken front coil spring. The springs going is a very common problem on the 9-3. I took the oppertunity to fit some Hirsch springs (these are the factory approved upgrades), these lower it ever so slightly and firm it up nicely.

I've done a major service inc plugs. It's a pain to change the rear bank of plugs but the difference it's made was well worth it. I wanted to do these before i took it in for a map as they're pretty sensitive to gapping.

Took it into Paul at RS Tuning, and basically loaded a map onto it from a Vectra VXR... He knocked boost back slightly to keep it safe and it made 298hp from 4000 to 6000rpm and 390lbft at 2500rpm and holds around 380 till 4500. Overtaking is now stupidly quick as you'd expect!

Here's a quick pic looking a bit lower...

129.jpg

and a quick vid from an airfield day i went to.

th_SaabAcceleration2.jpg

Leon Cupra 300
It's not shy!

Best thing is it looks so bland and ordinary. Nobody ever expects it to go so well!

Have made a few people look a bit silly :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Whats the build quality like compared to the mondeo?

My dads got a saab 93 Aero and as much as I love it (210hp and looks great!) it feels a bit crap inside. Looks better inside though.

Leon Cupra 300
Re build quality.. The actual quality, fit and finish of the car is very good. The interior is decent as far as seats and door cards go (better than Mondeo) but the dashboard is pretty dire for the type of car. It's just made from quite brittle plastics and as a result it's really creaky.

Its no worse than my old Megane F1 though!

Leon Cupra 300
Cheers for positive comments!

Yeah the wheels were spining in 2nd but not too much.. it pulls and matches the road speed at that rate though as it doesn't bog down when you put it into 3rd.

They're cheap as anything though.. Good buy.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I just watched a 06 plate estate end On ebay for 2.7k. I was so tempted to buy it.

Leon Cupra 300
Yeah it's only a map done. Responds well, though!

Turbo X look quite smart but the Haldex slows them down a fair bit and has its issues!

I saw that one end on eBay it was fairly local to me... Not sure I'd fancy 100 odd k miles with no history! But at that money it may of been worth a punt!

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Blimey :/ Makes my 3.0l V6 look pedestrian. I guess I am missing a tubby though.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Can the engine take the power and torque ?

Is the bulkhead ment to crack on them

Nah not these.

I love it mate, such a sleeper. Most people see them and just think they are a barge that can hardly move. I miss mine, it wasn't that quick but getting close, used to love giving certain cars a run for their money.