ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Le Mans Blue E39 ///M5

BMW M5 & E36
I've never been one to settle with a car for years at a time, so having not bought anything since October last year I fancied trying something new, or old as the case may be. I've still got my R26 for now, I'm a little unsure what to do with it but that's not the subject of this thread.

Anyway, my wagon of choice. Munich's finest from 2001. A facelifted E39 M5. Why? Because I wanted one, that's reason enough if you ask me.

I found this particular car on Pistonheads, the advert was well written with very detailed history of the car and the money that's been spent. It was far from the cheapest example out there, one of the dearest infact, but I promised myself that if I buy one then it may aswell be a good one.

The car is near enough standard, with the exception of an E60 gear shift setup which shortens the throw nicely, and a rear muffler delete which is a common E39 thing to do. This does away with the 4 rear silencers and gives it the sort of exhaust tone a proper 5.0 V8 should have. If I'm honest, I'm not a massive fan of the tips the previous owner has chosen so I'm going to look into having them altered for a near standard look.

This summer the car was pampered by KDS who are quite well known in the detailing scene, along with a wheel refurb in the original shadow chrome by Lepsons. The invoice to cover those 2 jobs, aswell as conditioning the leather, came to a touch over £1300!

Anyway, I'm chuffed with it so far, the noise the thing makes is just fantastic and it's a particularly nice place to be. The interior is in good condition with only a few age related marks, which are to be expected from something that's near enough 12 years old. There are a few little scuffs externally, mainly on the bumpers which isn't the end of the earth, something I can address easily enough.

I'll try and keep this thread updated with future additions and changes.

Some photos from its time at KDS:

2powaie_zps42b83f37.jpg

ms0i7n_zps6e07b9ee.jpg

2q2fel1_zps9cf88f22.jpg

2rm8lfa_zps0ef8865e.jpg

2zejsja_zps26a0367f.jpg

nyi6xj_zps5b1d2142.jpg

2gxfnex_zps7fac8964.jpg

2f0auk7_zpsc754fed8.jpg

And just a few from my phone since I've had it home:

utf-8BSU1BRzAyODUtMS0xLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAyOTgtMS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAyOTYtMS5qcGc.jpg

C+C welcome,
Chris

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Unbelievable levels of want!

Interesting to know what Kelly charges for detailing, wasn't expecting it to be cheap. But wow.

M16a
I've been looking at these, but the running costs scare the living hell out of me. Will be keeping an eye out to see how you get on with it.

I'd have to had Imola Red. But that blue looks stunning.! Great buy

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No interior shots??

Its bloody lovely though mate, congrats. :D

BMW M5 & E36
I've not taken any inside ones, so here's one that the previous owner sent me. Dual tone Silverstone/Black leather, alcantara headliner and the steering wheel has been trimmed to match. Sat Nav works suprisingly well for something so old, it's got a 2011 map disc in.

EVERYTHING is electric, it's great. Even the headrests go up and down on a button!

P1040248.jpg

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I look forward to see how you get on with it. One of my favourite BMW's. Lovely colour and looks well looked after and in very good condition.

For me personally, I prefer standard badge and steering wheel as well as the exhaust tips as you mentioned.

BMW M5 & E36
You still got your Megane or is that gone now?

Still got it. Undecided what to do with it just yet. I barely use one car let alone two. Admiral have sorted me a good deal on multicar though so I'll hang onto it for now. It's sat on a neighbours drive out the way.

Not a 320d
A well balanced beast over back roads. Plenty of torque to munch up straights too. I miss the one I got to drive. Since been sold for an F10.

You b*****d! I've been looking at that car on PH for ages, looks like a stunner.

If I sell the Exige, which is a possibility when I move out early next year (although I'll wait until spring to sell it), the E39 M5 is currently top of my list for a replacement car.

You have to get the Eisenmann exhaust for it too! They sound mental:

Last edited by a moderator:

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Came back in for a second look, still awesome.

Right, off to YouTube to find some vids of these in action.

BMW M5 & E36
You b*****d! I've been looking at that car on PH for ages, looks like a stunner.

If I sell the Exige, which is a possibility when I move out early next year (although I'll wait until spring to sell it), the E39 M5 is currently top of my list for a replacement car.

Ha, you're the 2nd person from a Clio forum that was looking at this car! Wobba (WilliamsClio) had been in touch with him too but I was a bit quicker off the mark it seems. Apparently the enquiries have been none stop this past week between me leaving a deposit and collecting it!

Get it done though Dan, such a complete package.

Megane r26
Love these, think they look dead evil! I love the fact its big and practical yet still goes like stink an handles. Ideal for chucking all ya mates in an storming across Europe to the ring. That Numpty mike brewer did one on Wheeler dealers not so long ago

Ha, you're the 2nd person from a Clio forum that was looking at this car! Wobba (WilliamsClio) had been in touch with him too but I was a bit quicker off the mark it seems. Apparently the enquiries have been none stop this past week between me leaving a deposit and collecting it!

Get it done though Dan, such a complete package.

We'll see.

My main worry is that my car history contains cars at the complete opposite end of the spectrum, small and light (and VERY impractical), go kart like really. An M5 is a barge in comparison, so I worry I MIGHT find it a bit boring. But with a 400bhp V8 I think as soon as I drive one for the first time, that worry will disappear.....I hope!

Ah you've got me looking at them again! Just found a good 2003 one with 62k on the clock!

MUST WAIT!

Well when/if it comes to that time, I'll be in touch with a million questions!

BMW M5 & E36
EPIC! As I said earlier it looks lovely and is a proper, proper car! Very jealous.

Cheers Sam. Like you said, it's really quite agile for the size of the thing and you wouldn't guess it weighed 1800kg from driving it, very pleased.

Ah you've got me looking at them again! Just found a good 2003 one with 62k on the clock!

MUST WAIT!

Well when/if it comes to that time, I'll be in touch with a million questions!

That'll be a pretty penny! No problem, fire away if the time comes :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome cars. Looks a superb example too.

I've also noticed than Mr Freeman has started considering those now too even though I'm sure he wasn't too keen on the idea when I suggested it in his thread ;)

These cars really do grow on you.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Love it! Always preferred the E60 M5 for some reason.