ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Le Mans Blue E39 ///M5

BMW M5 & E36
You're welcome to a few shocking quality phone pictures?

You may or may not have noticed, but the car had some light tints all round, not all that noticeable but dark enough. I don't mind them on the rear sides and rear window, but I definitely wanted them off the front 2. Not a job I was particularly looking forward to as I know what a mess it can leave. I heated them up slightly and they peeled off reasonably well but still left alot of the glue behind. Some Dodo Juice Supernatural (glue and tar remover) helped the job massively.

It was dark by the time I was done so heres the evidence:

utf-8BSU1BRzAzMDcuanBn.jpg

The only real fault with the car at present is a vibration under braking. From reading some of the M5 forums, this can be caused by various bushes or ball joints in the front end. The previous owner recently had the front control arms replaced to try and eliminate this but the vibration is still there.

Today I went to see a friend who conveniently works at BMW. We had the car in the air to give it a once over aswell as plug it in to check/clear any logged faults too. Nothing was apparently wrong that might cause the vibration, the usual suspects were checked and more new parts were found underneath that I wasn't aware of which was nice. Logical next step for me is to replace the front discs so I'm going to look into options for that shortly. Aside from that, the car was given a clean bill of health :)

utf-8BSU1BRzAzMDktMS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAzMDgtMS5qcGc.jpg

BMW M5 & E36
That's stunning, clearly owned by a chap who knows what he's on about too. Interior is an acquired taste but I quite like it. Would have to lose the wooden trim though!

Getting tempted? Get out in one is all I can say and see what you think. They're such a nice place to be, the engine is an absolute peach and even 12 years on mine feels so well put together.

I think I would have to be taken out in one before I got really serious.
Despite being an epic car, coming from my car history I'm worried I'll find it too big and 'fat'.
I might have to pop to yours for a passenger ride ;)

Wow just had a look on official used BMW website. Cheapest E39s are about £19k!! Although they look mint, and have about 40k miles on them.

BMW M5 & E36
Vibrating is warped discs. Common problem on the e39.

Not always, from reading about online, the control arm and/or thrust arm bushes are often the culprits amongst other things. Discs are pretty much dealer only as they're a floating design, proper ///M​ tax!

Lotus Elise
Not always, from reading about online, the control arm and/or thrust arm bushes are often the culprits amongst other things. Discs are pretty much dealer only as they're a floating design, proper ///M​ tax!

E60 M5 discs can be had from GSF, I'm sure E39s will be too.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't spent about 2 hours looking at/for more E39s for sale. There's only 3 cars on PH that interest me, two black ones for 10k and an absolutely mint one for 16k. That one has been for sale for a long time, so a silly off might get accepted, you never know.

Even spoke to the owner of one of the black ones earlier. Sounds good, but he's in Belfast. So a bit of an inconvenience.

There's another nice black one I've contacted.

Only gripe is, I can't normally stand black cars. But I might have to compromise this time.

Never thought I'd say this, but I really want to get my Exige sold so I can start going to see them!!

BMW M5 & E36
E60 M5 discs can be had from GSF, I'm sure E39s will be too.

They list 2 types, a solid vented 324x28 for £30/40 each which is the wrong size (540i I believe), or the correct sized 345x32 special order only at £190odd a piece, so dealership prices. Various M5 forums seem to confirm.

BMW M5 & E36
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't spent about 2 hours looking at/for more E39s for sale. There's only 3 cars on PH that interest me, two black ones for 10k and an absolutely mint one for 16k. That one has been for sale for a long time, so a silly off might get accepted, you never know.

Even spoke to the owner of one of the black ones earlier. Sounds good, but he's in Belfast. So a bit of an inconvenience.

There's another nice black one I've contacted.

Only gripe is, I can't normally stand black cars. But I might have to compromise this time.

Never thought I'd say this, but I really want to get my Exige sold so I can start going to see them!!

I'd like to think that if you chose to spend that amount on one it'd be worth it in the long run. Good cars are very few and far between as you've noticed and they'll always be in demand as the last of the proper naturally aspirated manual M5's.

I promised myself that I'd not buy another black car after my Megane. It's hard to look past an immaculate Carbon Black M5 though, its a brilliant colour in the sunlight.

One thing Chris, do the rear seats fold down?

I've read that that was an option!! Just wondering.

Yep an option bizarrely enough. I'm not entirely sure if it was an option to have them fold as one, or the only option was the split fold 60/40. Mine's not got it though. Seems quite odd an a highly specced M5 not to but that's just how it is! I don't plan on using it for the tip run so not too bothered.

Another thing a few seem to have is a 'ski shoot' which is a bag that extends out through the armrest hole. I'm not a skiist so that was of no interest to me!

AP's it is then.

I wish!

I only ask about the rear seats as I'd like to fit my bike(s) in there. If not, then I guess it will be a case of wheels off, and on the back seats instead.

Hopefully chatting to the other owner tomorrow sometime. I don't think he's too far away either, so might visit it. Just want to do all the research etc before I sell the Exige, so once it's sold I can buy the M5 the next day....or close enough.

BMW M5 & E36
Have you talked yourself out of the M3 idea then? I was out for about an hour earlier and I must have seen 4 E46's, so so common.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Having never owned a coupe (or znything other than a hatchback) before, I couldn't figure out how the seats folded in my e46 I had, I wasn't too fussed, but the day I sold it a friend showed me that they did. Maybe some are just as retarded as me? :-D

BMW M5 & E36
So for new years celebrations I headed from mine in Lincoln, via Whitchurch to make a collection, onwards to Warrington and then home again this morning. Roughly 300 miles in total and about doubling my total mileage in the M5. What a joy this car is!

Such a fantastic cruiser, effortless power in whichever gear I fancy, mega comfort, bum warmers on, the stereo doing its thing (which I've decided is really good!), just an all round fantastic tool. Very pleased with it.

I was by no means hanging around, making decent progress, and over the trip I averaged 24 to the gallon of V-Power, raising my average since I've had the car to over 19. Not at all bad considering I don't think.