ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaking Air con on 172 : How much to sort? :(

2001 172
Hi all

kwik fit have reffered me to a local garage to get my air con system looked at, apparently their computer told em its got a leak somewhere. Now they said they dint know what it will cost to repair, as it depends on where it is

Just wondered if anyone can give me a ballpark figure. Are we talking £50 to sort it, or £500 ??

Cheers

shaun

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's hard unless I know where the leak is coming from mate.

Condensor will be about £300 and the pipes are £100+ each, dryer bottle is £150+

It could be any of them.

2001 172
Well if its mega bucks I aint gonna bother doing it. Dont mind £100 or so if it includes regas etc, but not paying mega money

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No you can't repair or re-gas a leaking air con system mate.

I'll guarantee it'll be £150+ to get it fixed.

2001 172
thats what I mean. I went to kwik fit to get it re gassed and they couldnt cos its leaking. If its £100 or so including the regas then fine, if not, it can stay Fooked, cos I aint spunking wedge on it

PH-QUICK
can't you just wack it on full blast and try and find the leak yourself? probably going to be pretty obvious.

Then if its on a pipe join just get so solder on there. Total cost of around nothing.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
No because he expects it all done for 100 sheets, no chance. If it wants fixing it wants fixing end of imo, no wonder theres no many bodged cars about.

He could get it done for not many pennies all if he can find time to do it himself and find someone breaking a car with air-con..

Theres no harm in asking, that is after all the point of this forum?

To help and discuss and to be overly critical of just about everything anyone else does unless it involves turinis and silver visions and lowering

:)

2001 172
No because he expects it all done for 100 sheets, no chance. If it wants fixing it wants fixing end of imo, no wonder theres no many bodged cars about.

Many thanks for your constructive post, no matter what forum your on, you can always rely on one punk with a Smart arse answer.

Anyway, cheers for your help people, I'll keep you updated

Albi Blue RS 200
Take it out, its heavy, plus the aircon in the Renaults is like a cat breathing on you

Mine is icey cold, I had to turn it off today as I got TOO cold, this was in 24c heat!

Best AC I think I've had in any car, even beat my 3 Series.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd ring up a mobile aircon guy. I called one out last week and he traced my leak to a loose valve, he then regassed it and its been perfect since.

renaultsport 182
It's hard unless I know where the leak is coming from mate.

Condensor will be about £300 and the pipes are £100+ each, dryer bottle is £150+

It could be any of them.

sorry mate but this is only if you go main dealer....

it cost me £30 to find the leak, £70 for the condensor and £40 for the dryer bottle.. i fitted it myself as its quite an easy job in the end. then go back to quickfit to get it charged up again £45... but there is a way to get that refunded but PM me for details on that ok

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i coverd my hold in my pipe with liquid metal on my 306, better than spending £245 on a new pipe

coiled 'berg
I regased my own today with a DIY kit from halfruads, cost £39 something, excellent job, worked perfect, also had a free air con cleaner because I reserved it online, recommend to anyone! worked perfectly, ICE cold now!

if you could sort/find the leak then this would be perfect for you, it might pay to have a look if halfrauds do a leak finding stuff or fixing stuff. I never knew they done aircon stuff until last night!!

None
I just got the halfords kit too because mine had stopped getting cold, the kit even came with a pressure valve on it, it told me my system had no pressure which i thought straight away was bad but i used the product anyway, i filled it to only half the recomended pressure, it worked wonders for five minutes and got icy cold then while it was running to test it i heard a pop under the bonnet somewhere so i guess what was a small leak is now a burst rubber pipe somewhere.
the same company also do a leak seal kit with added dye to find and isolate leaks so i'll try this next, the main problem i found is getting to any pipes, the RS clio's are pretty well packed under the bonnet!

coiled 'berg
Mine wasn't getting cold, but was half way in the green section on the guage, then I added can and it went to the top of the blue bit.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
sorry mate but this is only if you go main dealer....

it cost me £30 to find the leak, £70 for the condensor and £40 for the dryer bottle.. i fitted it myself as its quite an easy job in the end. then go back to quickfit to get it charged up again £45... but there is a way to get that refunded but PM me for details on that ok
Yeah second hand bits are fine mate, I was just giving it from my opinion because he had been to a garage.

Not a hard thing to fit a condensor, the pipes to the bulkhead are when it starts to get harder.