ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Learning car limits/how to drive the bloody thing!!!!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Chaps,
I'm after a bit of advice on learning my car's limits and how to correct it should it all go wrong. Now im looking at booking/trying to book some kind of air field day as i think that would be best.

Does anyone know of somewhere or someone who would be willing to spend a day with me in my car teaching me stuff.?

I have found this which is run at North Weald air field, anything else i should be looking at?
http://www.carlimits.com/
http://www.carlimits.com/script/viewEvents.php?type=airfieldtraining

(Sorry if this in the wrong section, mod's can you please move.)

Presume you mean the scooby? If so i find AWD an odd one to drive on the limit as most tend to understeer then can snap into oversteer. Not the same drive train but in my old 6 mps you'd go in hot and lift of to pull the back around mid corner then once pointing in the direction you want to go power on. This was with only 50% torque going to the rear wheels mind so was awkward to say the least. Whats the torque split on the scooby?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I found track tuition really beneficial when I went to Bedford RS day.

A cars limits on track and road are different though in my opinion.

If you do take the Scoob on track though, you'll love it.
I drove my mates Blob STi at Llandow and that isn't a huge track etc to stretch its legs properly. It was still good fun.

Bedford has some decent straights etc too.
Like said though, tuition isn't expense really.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Chaps,
I'm after a bit of advice on learning my car's limits and how to correct it should it all go wrong. Now im looking at booking/trying to book some kind of air field day as i think that would be best.

Does anyone know of somewhere or someone who would be willing to spend a day with me in my car teaching me stuff.?

I have found this which is run at North Weald air field, anything else i should be looking at?

That Carlimits looks interesting. I'd be the second person if you do do it.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Just read the links you've posted Scott. Didn't realise you could do those sort of days. Should've read these before first response :)

Mec 350 slk manual
Chaps,

I would be up for this as well

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Presume you mean the scooby? If so i find AWD an odd one to drive on the limit as most tend to understeer then can snap into oversteer. Not the same drive train but in my old 6 mps you'd go in hot and lift of to pull the back around mid corner then once pointing in the direction you want to go power on. This was with only 50% torque going to the rear wheels mind so was awkward to say the least. Whats the torque split on the scooby?
Yes mate i do, its not so much the understeer thats a problem although i do drive it like a FWD car and have been told that i need to keep the power on to activate the front diff as this will (help) stop the under steer. Trying to do this on the road is hard as you seem to be going so bloody fast.

My car is 80% rear mate i think, the other thing is i don't have standard diffs in my car (i have Cusco plated diffs). They lock on power and "un-lock" when your off power, so if you are mid corner and you come off of the throttle the front seem's to "wash out" but when your on it its bloody great, i just don't know how far i can push it so booking an open air field seemed like the best thing to do. :smiley:

Id also like to find out if you can stay on the power when the rear steps out, so far when it does i just come off and it straightens its self back up. This happens when coming on boost in 2nd or 3rd out of bends. Its a t**t of a car really. 😂

Are you referring to trackdays, assume you are?. I've not had it as hero but track tuition is the best money spent
Not really mate, id like to push the car until i loose control and have a bit of fun to see what it can do. But a trackday after this would be the next step. :cool:

I found track tuition really beneficial when I went to Bedford RS day.

A cars limits on track and road are different though in my opinion.

If you do take the Scoob on track though, you'll love it.
I drove my mates Blob STi at Llandow and that isn't a huge track etc to stretch its legs properly. It was still good fun.

Bedford has some decent straights etc too.
Like said though, tuition isn't expense really.
Hey mate, thank you and yes i would do Bedford because of the long run off's. Maybe i should look into how expensive tuition is. :up:

That Carlimits looks interesting. I'd be the second person if you do do it.
Cool mate, would be good to have you there. :smile:

Last edited:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Let me know if you book one Scott, I also want to do something like this as I'm a RWD noob.

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps,

I have a friend who has written off many awd cars, I could put you in contact so he could show you how to find its limits?😂

With the diffs then it sounds like you should just keep your foot in, i pressume it won't chuck the whole 80% to the rear with steering angle on and will vary it to get you back on line. Its just getting past that point where it slips and keeping on it.

It took me ages to tame the 300hp MPS and I still didn't fully attack it on track like you can in a front driver like the CS.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Have you considered doing a rally type one? Maybe try giving some of the rally schools a call and explaining what car you have and what you're after? Some of these guys will have done a lot of competitive mileage in 4WD cars with fancy diffs so should know how to get the best out of them.

http://www.billgwynne.com/index.html is apparently quite a good one.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
With the diffs then it sounds like you should just keep your foot in, i pressume it won't chuck the whole 80% to the rear with steering angle on and will vary it to get you back on line. Its just getting past that point where it slips and keeping on it.

It took me ages to tame the 300hp MPS and I still didn't fully attack it on track like you can in a front driver like the CS.
That's my thinking too mate, Rich at FB Tuning said that with standard diffs when you come off power it will swing the back around to the point of no return.

Mine comes back into line (at the speeds I've got it comes out at)

My car has no electric fancy stuff (non DCCD gearbox) so I guess it would chuck the whole 80% to the rear.

Thanks for your help/advice mate. [emoji106]

I've done a day with Car Limits in the V6.

Highly recommended.
Cool mate, was it a full day and did you learn alot/get what you wanted out of it?

The video that they have on there site isn't very good but I know it's quite short.

Thanks mate, I'll have a look. [emoji2]

Have you considered doing a rally type one? Maybe try giving some of the rally schools a call and explaining what car you have and what you're after? Some of these guys will have done a lot of competitive mileage in 4WD cars with fancy diffs so should know how to get the best out of them.

http://www.billgwynne.com/index.html is apparently quite a good one.
Thanks but I really wanted to do something in my own car and the thought of taking my own car off road makes me feel sick...[emoji23]

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Thanks but I really wanted to do something in my own car and the thought of taking my own car off road makes me feel sick...[emoji23]

Pretty sure they do tarmac stuff and you can use your own car too I believe. Worth giving them a call. They're pretty well respected in rally circles and that's where the Impreza is born from!

Amg A class, M3 CSL
Car limits is a good day if you go on the 4 car max. Andy knows his stuff and with your tyres over inflated he soon gets you past the limit... By the end of the day your driving skills will have improved no end.
CAT driver training is also a good day.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Car limits is a good day if you go on the 4 car max. Andy knows his stuff and with your tyres over inflated he soon gets you past the limit... By the end of the day your driving skills will have improved no end.
CAT driver training is also a good day.
Thanks bud, I was thinking about the 2 car one?

The good thing with the Car Limits one is its local to me. [emoji2]

Amg A class, M3 CSL
You will get more time with just 2 cars. When I 1st got there I thought there wasn't much track but its more focused on cornering speed and techniques, Andy is a really good instructor and he can pedal. The Cat driver training can't be that far, it's a few quid but loads of different areas of testing tracks at Milbrook:)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Let me know if you book one Scott, I also want to do something like this as I'm a RWD noob.

Your best bet is book a track day with the Nutz mob.
You can go out with them to get the lines & braking points, then they can go out with you to put this into practice.
That way you can drive & get free tuition.
Many of the drivers are actually in various race series so you get to progress very quickly.

I booked several days in the winter months as you learn more about car control on one wet day than many dry days.

I've done some photography for the guys at Car Limits for their experience days at North Weald.

They're a top bunch and some good instructors on their team. Can imagine it would be a good start for the sort of thing you're interested in.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thought id update this.

So after a few PM's to @Hellcat and a good chat on the phone im now booked in to do my first track day this Monday (29th) at Bedford Autodrome
Im going to have the full day tuition with him and the use of he's 172 for the morning, then it will be into the Spec C to learn what it can do. :smiley:
I hope that Hellcat will also add what he thought of the car.

I will update this with my full experiences, hopefully they will be all good. :up:
@Budgie

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Note to anyone who is thinking about booking one of these.

Do not book/pay Hellcat or James Hayward as he is known.

The guy is a rip off merchant, I was lucky but my days experience with him was just for him to thrash my car around track.

He's so called PH1 car that he supplied is a proper pile of s**t.

The guy stinks and doesn't look like he's washed in weeks, I learnt nothing from him.

182cup & 172 racecar

The guy is a rip off merchant, I was lucky but my days experience with him was just for him to thrash my car around track.

The guy stinks and doesn't look like he's washed in weeks, I learnt nothing from him.

If you ever want me to come and guide you along, just ask. :)

Clio 197

That sure escalated quickly, sorry to hear it didn't go well. You should have battered the s**t out of the clutch on the PH1

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Myself although I don't move in those circles anymore and my old man are both ards registered instructors.

If you want pointing towards any legit instructors let me know, I'm still in touch with many and my old man still does it occasionally. Although he spends most of his time jetting around doing high end Gucci manufacturer stuff these days.

I would offer my own services foc but tbh I've had my fill of sitting next to Billy's as we call them ha ha :tongueclosed:

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Wow!

How come you've posted this now Scott when the track day you'd booked was on the 29th? Or am I missing something?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
If you plan on doing any future track days at Bedford just use one of the Palmer boys. They've still got some decent instructors up there.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Hahahaha you remembered.

"I know how to drive fast mate I own a Porsche"

"Yes and I own a microwave but that doesn't make me Jamie Oliver"

Was it you that originally told me that?

I can't remember where I first heard it but it's something I've not forgotten and chuckle whenever I remember it hahaha.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Was it you that originally told me that?

I can't remember where I first heard it but it's something I've not forgotten and chuckle whenever I remember it hahaha.

Yeah lol, one of a number of fond memories I have of that industry.

I'd forgotten I'd mentioned it on here, glad it made you laugh as much as it still does me!