ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaving a clio for a long period of time, best option...

A45 AMG 406BHP
i wont be using the clio hardly at all. ( around 1/2months)

I was told earlier by a lad that he left his clio 172. the battery went dead overtime, and when he went to come back to it, the immob locked and it decoded itself. and he needed a new ecu and uch or something?

Is this bullshit?

I dont want this to happen to my 182
So is it my best option to remove battery or just keep it with battery on?

cheers

DB.

BMW 440i
1 or 2 months? Personally I wouldn't bother. I've been on holiday for that before and the car has been fine.

133/225/CLS AMG
I know it's a not quite a Clio but I store my Megane 225 over the winter and I take the battery out. In fact for various reasons I wasn't able to start the car for well over 6 months. Bettery fitter and started first time without any problems.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
1-2 months is nothing to worry about.

As above, remove (or at least disconnect) the battery to avoid killing it. And don't leave it on the concrete floor or it will go flat. Make sure you leave it up on a shelf somewhere.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I would probably discon & remove it. Weathers getting colder now. Although to be fair 1/2 months is nothing. I went to New Zealand for a few months, I removed my batt & stuck some bags over my calipers & discs.

Came back (in the winter) it was fine.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
+1... why's that Daniel? Is there something blindingly obvious I'm overlooking.

Tbh mate, i've got no idea but my auto electrician goes mad if I leave one on the floor. At first I thought he was winding me up but then I went in next door to the garage (tyre and exhaust place) and all of their batteries are on wood so I asked them and they said the same.

182cup & 172 racecar
Buy a little solar powered battery charger, and leave it on the dash.

10012839.jpg

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Quick search online revealed a general rule of thought:

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]The myth about putting batteries on concrete floors is from years ago when battery technology was not as advanced as it is now.

It has nothing to do with the concrete or the ground though.

A cool, damp location was a poor place to store a battery if you didn't want the charge to drain, and because concrete is usually cold and damp that's were the myth comes from.

Most new batteries will drain about the same on the ground or on a shelf.
[/FONT]

So should be okay storing it on the floor anyway