ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Letting in rain water...

Monaco 172
I've searched the forums a few times to see if I can come up with a solution to stop rain water from coming inside my 172, but haven't really found much. When it rains quite heavily, water seems to come in from the roof somewhere, as there is a damp trail which starts at the passenger grab handle, and ends at the passenger sunvisor. When I opened the visor, it was pretty wet! My mates clio is also suffering with this problem

Also, the passenger footwell gets very damp, water can be found above the renaultsport metal kickplate thing, theres like a rubber grommit which spans across where the bottom of the door meets the chassis if that makes sense? I gathered this leak may be caused by the drains in the scuttle panel being blocked, or drains where the sideskirts begin being blocked?

Jap Box
I've searched the forums a few times to see if I can come up with a solution to stop rain water from coming inside my 172, but haven't really found much. When it rains quite heavily, water seems to come in from the roof somewhere, as there is a damp trail which starts at the passenger grab handle, and ends at the passenger sunvisor. When I opened the visor, it was pretty wet! My mates clio is also suffering with this problem

Also, the passenger footwell gets very damp, water can be found above the renaultsport metal kickplate thing, theres like a rubber grommit which spans across where the bottom of the door meets the chassis if that makes sense? I gathered this leak may be caused by the drains in the scuttle panel being blocked, or drains where the sideskirts begin being blocked?

I have the bottom problem too, the footwell one. Water gathers under my car mat so I didnt realise for a good while, been told its the scuttle panel but its been way too cold for me to check tis myself yet and when its not -10degrees outside im at work :(

Renaultsport clio 182
also had the footwell problem. would love to sort it but havnt got a clue where to start.

clio 172
I have had the foot well problem as well what I did was removed the wipers then the plastic scuttle panel put your hand in the middle rite at the bottom it's a bit fiddly buut you will find a banana shaped rubber pipe that goes to near the manifold it has a flap on that gets full of s**t and blocks up i removed the pipe and cut the flap off it's a bit of a cow to do but it cured the problem on mine

Jap Box
I have had the foot well problem as well what I did was removed the wipers then the plastic scuttle panel put your hand in the middle rite at the bottom it's a bit fiddly buut you will find a banana shaped rubber pipe that goes to near the manifold it has a flap on that gets full of s**t and blocks up i removed the pipe and cut the flap off it's a bit of a cow to do but it cured the problem on mine

Thanks for that, will have a look at mine soon enough now.

Got in the car this morning and noticed my foot was slippery, the water had froze over in the footwell and covered the car mat!

Monaco 172
Anybody have any more ideas on where the water may be coming from thats soaking my head lining? Beginning to really irritate me now :(

And I managed to clean out the drain in the scuttle panel on the drivers side, but the one on the passenger side is under the wiper motor is it? My hands arent small enough to get to it, does the motor have to come out to clean it out?

Monaco 172
Its a phase 2, I always park on a hill facing down so maybe it is coming through the aerial and travelling down? I havent really got a clue its baffling! Just seems strange how the wet trail starts at the grab handle and ends at the visor, and visor is always wet. Where the windscreen pillar is, right at the top of it, its always wet there too.

LY200
My 1.2 Clio was the same. It was my sunroof. Took it out but taking the inside rubber trim, undoing all of the 12 or 13 mm bolts, removed old oaf seal and resealed it with silicone. Did the trick for me!

Civic Type R
I had the footwell problem, cleaned the sills out and thought it had fixed it.. it hadn't. Spoke to a lad on here who advised to adjust the door catch slightly ( to pull the door tighter). I am pretty sure its fixed now, Its been pissing it down here for the past two days, NO water in the car now!!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Check for any cracks in the bonding between the rear quarters and the roof under the roof strips - I had a similar problem parking the other way - I had a tiny pin hole in one side of mine that was letting water in.

Monaco 172
Thanks for the replies, I'll bear them all in mind when the time comes to have a proper look at it when Im back to work. I have actually adjusted the door catch to bring it tighter, and also siliconed the top door seal as it wasnt contacting the metal properly, but its still letting in the water. Have a feeling the footwell one is a blocked drain somewhere. Luckily it hasn't been raining for a while so havent really had the problem like that, but I need it sorted for when the bad weather returns. God love Renault lol.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
i have had footwell leak too, hopefully fixed today, under the washer bottle is the pipe feeding the rear washer, on mine the grommet had come so loose that the water was running inside the hole straight down the footwell.

a good squeeze of silicon seems to have done the trick

Monaco 172
Well I wazzed off the wheel today and the arch linings to reveal the end of the side skirt, and it was about 2inches deep of mud and crap, and I heard this is a drainage channel, so with it being deep in mud, maybe the rain was getting in there, flooding up and into the footwell in through the bottom of the door. Suppose I will have to check after a bit of rainfall. The gromits that hold the liner in place have got to be the worst ever, i broke every one trying to get them off! Annoying! 89p from Renault for new ones so not so bad. Had a dehumidifer in the car today to remove the moisture, and it took out a fair amount! Just need to sort the roof leak now.

Monaco 172
163989_10150353943280076_760735075_16640462_5039829_n.jpg

163709_10150353944800076_760735075_16640502_7081878_n.jpg

Monaco 172
Right I have just checked my car as its been raining pretty much all day and yesterday......and its SOAKED yet again! The headlining is soaked by the sun visor and the visor itself is damp! Footwell is also wet. I Really cant think what is causing this. My dad keeps saying that maybe its coming from the windscreen, anybody had this? Im facing downhill so I cant see it being caused by a blocked scuttle panel drain? Why are these Clios so s**t built!!! :(

Jap Box
Right I have just checked my car as its been raining pretty much all day and yesterday......and its SOAKED yet again! The headlining is soaked by the sun visor and the visor itself is damp! Footwell is also wet. I Really cant think what is causing this. My dad keeps saying that maybe its coming from the windscreen, anybody had this? Im facing downhill so I cant see it being caused by a blocked scuttle panel drain? Why are these Clios so s**t built!!! :(

PH1 by any chance?

If its on the rof lining etc then it will most likely be the aerial base letting water in.

Would have said sunroof but the sports dont have them :rasp: check the aerial anyway as id put a bet on that :)

Monaco 172
Its a phase 2 so aerial is at the back on this one :) so still not really sure. Going to pull the headlining back on saturday and have a good look, really cant have all this water coming in all the time else its going to start smelling and rotting :( my 1998 rover 216 was 100 times better built than this 02 plate clio lol terrible!

Monaco 172
UPDATE: After cleaning out the side skirt drains, I thought this may have sorted it. It didn't. The footwell was still getting damp and sun visor. So I gave up hope trying to find the source of the leak and decided to start parking the car facing up the hill. I was hoovering out the car today and noticed the passenger front footwell is now dry along with the headlining and the visor, so thought great stuff. Started hoovering the rear footwells and they we're soaking wet! Both passenger and drivers side rear footwells are now sopping! Where the hell could this be coming from?! As said before, Ive checked the scuttle drains, cleared out the sill drain, re-sealed the door! Can anybody shine some light on this? Car is going up for sale once this is sorted, had enough of it.