ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Limit of standard rods

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I'm planning of upgrading the engine in my track car over winter what's the safe limit of standard rods. I'm thinking of putting a set of high comp supertech pistons in and the standard rods already have ARP bolts.

Spec will be
ported head
supertech valves
uprated valve springs??
Engine Dynamics cams
12.8:1 pistons

Mec 350 slk manual
By the look of what you plan to do with the engine I would be putting uprated rods as well

Clio
Not sure on the limit, but personally if i were going to those lengths anyway, i'd stick a set of uprated rods in too

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
The reason I ask is I've read about a few faults with aftermarket rods on here and I've happily been running around 210bhp for the seasons track days on standard rods. Revs will be capped at 7800 rpm , I know that some of the supercharged guys are running 240 bhp on then and the pistons seem to fail before the rods.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I won't go over 7650 on standard rods. With supercharging, you tend to rev a bit less than high comp N/A anyway. I'd want to use something decent like Catcams rods and rev around 7800 with the spec you're suggesting (although the cams are too mild for my liking and you'll be wasting the available compression)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Arrow rods if you want reliability and safety. Only aftermarket rods I'd fit. All the other stuff is cheap Chinese shite, and I don't give a monkeys toss who says different. Remember, buy cheap, buy twice.

Lionel Richie
I'm planning of upgrading the engine in my track car over winter what's the safe limit of standard rods. I'm thinking of putting a set of high comp supertech pistons in and the standard rods already have ARP bolts.

Spec will be
ported head
supertech valves
uprated valve springs??
Engine Dynamics cams
12.8:1 pistons

go for some better cams!!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I already have the cams in my engine justnow Fred :S I was actually Jame's engine you built that got me thinking of keeping standard rods.

I am getting the porting work done on a phase 1 head and thought to be safe I would go for the uprated valves, as I have heard of a good few failures . I really am in two minds about going high comp as it is a low mileage bottom end and has been faultless for all the trackdays I have done, but again stories of ring land failures made me think it would be a worthwhile upgrade while the head is off.

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
sell those cams mate, you struggle to get past 210bhp with them (high comp)

stock rods are ok, ideally you'd go for forged, but decent ones are £800+, try and get some megane ones if you can