ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lo ppl, new and just got a 172

hello everyone

yesterday i bought myself a 172 cup. pretty lil thing for a fantastic price. been spending this afternoon looking for tuning tips and insurance quotes..

drove a jap car (subaru) a long time ago and know them inside out but am new to Renaults and have been out of the car modding scene for a while. so if anyone has any recommendations/options on what i can do the the little thing i would appreciate it alot. some links to sites would be nice cheers. the standard styling is fantastic and i used to be an ice installer so just interested in tweaking some more power out of it

had a quote for the car from Tescos and i consider it a bit dear. im 24 this month, been driving for 6 years and 10 months, had perfomance cars in the past (dunno if this counts anymore) have 2 years no claims and no convictions. tescos quote was for £1024, do you guys/girls think this is about right for my car?

thanks in advance

(sorry i havent used the search option, my small brain has been melting on google as it is:) )

Burgandy 174 sport t

That was with reno but direct line were cheaper only they dont accept modifications!

where you from btw?

welcome DOC...

youve got good taste mate..i bought a 04 CUP last week and was well impressed with it, i had a scoob before this, but i find the cup more fun to drive... wheer you based mate????

as for the mods, well heres my list,

Apex springs from k~tech

Quickshift from K~tech

viper induction from drivers(glasgow)

magnex exhaust from drivers(glasgow)

chrome number plate surround demon tweeks

silver beesting aerial demon tweeks

tinted windows- (light smoke) Pentagon

hope this helps DOC...

172fastcup

thanks guys.. im from north kent. exhaust, induction, quickshift sounds about right..

used to have a turbo.. so with the clios whats the deal with ECUs and stuff? as i got a new ecu for my scoob and it blew my head off (for a while) is there many ppl doing that for the 172s?

do agree about the surround. the cars are already pretty. they dont need anything done to the outside: )

[Edited by Doc on 20 June 2004 at 3:29pm]

its still on the list Iain... and i wouldnt worry about the number plate surround, cos whatever your gonnae buy you wont be able to keep up to look at it;)

Burgandy 174 sport t

there is a guy here has a cup with a renault sport ecu, seems to do the trick as I have a straight through K-Tec exhaust with decat and panel filter and he has the same and from a standing start he marginaly pulled away from me.

it is a cup though which is FASTER to start with!! lol

just done a direct line thing on the net. 967. i think ill spend the evenings of next week phoning up as many as i can and i think ill be able to get that down some more

cup is only "faster" (0.1 secs?) due to it being 100kgs lighter from losing some sound deadening, aircon and abs ?

plz correct me if im wrong.

many companys out there making manifolds for them ? and i havent seen any with superchargers.. i assume this is not really the done thing on the clios

cheers so far :)

did someone forget to move there car when the roads were getiing painted???;)

Iain, whats with the fascup?? you know its ross, considering i need to work with you:devilish:.... and you wont need to race me then while youve still got yer 172, cos you know whos gonnae win:D

cant wait for my membership to come through so i can post faster:mad: hate this one every 3 mins...

Burgandy 174 sport t

Yes I know Ross just winding u up!!

Is that a challenge I hear?? :D

what ya upto ne ways??

Doc the manifold is a 4 into 1 so good enough

mmm.. you stole my line about the road painting;)

erm, renault insurance is not online afaik.. unless you can throw some links at me for it? ill try them tomorrow though

dont know if i should wait until 3000miles, just to let the car settle and see if i have any major warranty issues.. what do you think iain??

iain are you on yahooo messenger???

give me 3mins to reply lol

wait till my backs better iain,

next weekend too soon as, i honestly cant lift push or stretch too much...still on the painkillers mate!!!

lol.. renault wants £1117 .. tehehe. must be something wrong with the south east of england.

thanks for your help ppl ..

regards to tuning bits.

personal preference i know always wins over..

but i was wondering on which brands for the exhaust and induction kit? i had hks on my old car and have no idea how good any of the other makes are.

with regards to the exhaust i didnt want anything too big and lairy.. and definatly dont want a loud one. mongoose any good for clios?

ahh ok will look towards magnex thanks.. cda? is that a type or brand of filter.. as i am totally nieve here :D

Fabia vRS

how much u pay for your car (anyone who has bought one recently).... (if u dont mind me askin)

naples valver

mate try elephant.co.uk they seem to be cheap they were the only company to insure me as a second named driver on my williams at the age of 18! at it was suprisingly cheap £1200!

wot u have to remember with insurance, it doesnt just go on age experience,or wehter or not u have points or claims etc, it also goes on location, where u store the car,wot u do for a living, will any one else b driving the car, how many miles u do a year, etc etc!! so yes a grand and change might seem expensive, but if u r a sales man, and u do 50 k a year, then its cheap!!

Quote: Originally posted by Doc on 20 June 2004

£3830 to buy it. final cost will be around 4500 ;)

This what you paid for your 172?? Fook me thats good.

For I/K i have got a Viper and am more then impressed with it, also i have got the Magnex Exhaust with the 6x4 Oval back box.

For ECU id reccomend going for the SMT6 ECU Re-map, read up on it in the Exterior/Power/Mechanical section.

thanks guys..

regards to insurance. i cant really change the place i live, but buying a impreza wrx @ 19 i spent many a long hour on the phone to insurance companies speaking to the phone ppl on how to get insurance cheaper.. i know all the tricks etc. havnt had a nice car in a while and was a bit shocked at 1k .. down to 900 so far.. but im sure i can get a bit more off (will try elephant, have been dear in the past though)

the 172 was a little poorly in the body department, which is why i got it for that price. my bro is a registered renault repairer so thats no probs :)

i have been reading that thread and have visited the site. but cant actually find any info on how much power it is likely to add. and all this stand alone or not stuff is a bit confusing to me.. on my impreza i just bought a ecu and plugged it in.

induction and exhaust.. obviously i want a good power boost (id expect 15-20 bhp for a half decent combo) but not really wanting my car to sound like a small jumbo jet. bit old for all that now :D

thanks again for the hints.

Quote: Originally posted by Doc on 21 June 2004

the 172 was a little poorly in the body department, which is why i got it for that price. my bro is a registered renault repairer so thats no probs :)
i have been reading that thread and have visited the site. but cant actually find any info on how much power it is likely to add. and all this stand alone or not stuff is a bit confusing to me.. on my impreza i just bought a ecu and plugged it in.

induction and exhaust.. obviously i want a good power boost (id expect 15-20 bhp for a half decent combo) but not really wanting my car to sound like a small jumbo jet. bit old for all that now :D
Exhuast an a Viper would get you the best gains, of say 12hp but the engine will start to run lean about 4k when the ECU runs a closed loop (from about 4k onwards). With a custom remap from an SMT6 etc you could get many maybe 20hp so youd be up to about 186hp (166.5 stock) Id think. I did a big post some time over the weekend on the subject though.

Excellent bargain that though only wish I had friends like that.

The Cups dont have the engine cover as it saves weight.

so the ecu remap adds around 8 bhp.. but has the added bonus of running the engine on the right mixture?

dont have mates ;) my bro is a diamond.. will be paying him top day-money to do it for me though :)