ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at a Clio 182 05 plate with 46K miles

FF Clio 182
Been offered a Renault Clio 182 sport on an 05 plate from work (Ex company car). The car has done 46k miles and is 7/8 years old.
The car as it is is in good condition, only got a couple of age related marks. Only issues regarding appearance is that the steering wheel thumb grips have perished and there is a big dent in the rear quarter (People cant reverse out of parking bays).
The car has full service history, being a company car is was serviced at all the relevant time intervals, but there is no record of a cam belt ever being done. From what i can deducted the car is now 2 years over it due date for cam belt.
What brings me to my main question, based on all the information i have written, would about £1500 to £2000 be a good price taking into consideration the car is going to need a cam belt change asap and the dent in the rear quarter needing to be fixed and all the other minor issues.

Thanks

RS6 C7
Anything >2k would be a decent price, Although you're going to have to spend a bit getting it right once it's had belt, dent sorted & the steering wheel retrimmed then you will have a mint low mileage 182. Should be worth nearer 3k so you won't lose anything.

FF Clio 182
Also it is the full fat version with both cup packs. My goal is to try and get it for sub £2000 then once cam belt done (£500) just have to try sorting the dent. Might just sorn it and turn it into a project till the summer :)

RenaultSport 182FF
Sounds like a good deal especially one at 46k :)

I'm not 100% on this but i believe that cam belts services on the RS clios are around £500-600 depending on where you got it done due to complexity :)
The average change is either between 50k-60k or every 5 years dependent on which comes first!

As for the steering wheel you can get them refurbished on here (in better material, and in the colour of your choice) by 'Snappy' or 'Arran_182' from around £100-250 depending on damage :) Its expensive but both chaps do an excellent job, and it beats getting a new one direct from renault for like £400 when its just going to wear again.

Still you are getting a very low mileage car never the less for no more than £2600, providing it isn't cat damaged?

FF Clio 182
No cat damage only due to person reversing out a bay and clipping it with the front end. As i said due to it being a company car its all fully serviced minus the cam belt. As far as the steering wheel is concerned i just planned on getting a OMP wheel and boss kit and fitting that. Another plus is that its just had the exhaust replaced due to corrosion, From what i have heard its a common thing on the 182's

RenaultSport 182FF
No cat damage only due to person reversing out a bay and clipping it with the front end. As i said due to it being a company car its all fully serviced minus the cam belt. As far as the steering wheel is concerned i just planned on getting a OMP wheel and boss kit and fitting that. Another plus is that its just had the exhaust replaced due to corrosion, From what i have heard its a common thing on the 182's

Ahh then yeah bargain mate :)

Haha yeah good old renault exhausts :D I just love the fact they finish the tips in Stainless steel, the icing on the top ;)

Best hot hatch money can buy for excitement and noise :)

FF Clio 182
Yh i know they pretty awesome. Got a standard 1.2 16v atm and being small and light it fairly easy to throw it about a bit, so with a 2L lump in it its going to be a whole new world of fun. As stated before i would probably get it SORN it for a couple months whilst i fix it up a little. Being 21 and only having 1 years no claims i managed to get a insurance quote for £1000 if i payed it off in one go or £2500 if payed monthly (Robbing Ba*t*rds)

RenaultSport 182FF
Yh i know they pretty awesome. Got a standard 1.2 16v atm and being small and light it fairly easy to throw it about a bit, so with a 2L lump in it its going to be a whole new world of fun. As stated before i would probably get it SORN it for a couple months whilst i fix it up a little. Being 21 and only having 1 years no claims i managed to get a insurance quote for £1000 if i payed it off in one go or £2500 if payed monthly (Robbing Ba*t*rds)

Yeah i've just done the same move as you then :)

Very heavy up front and doesn't feel as "wobbly" as the 1.2 :D very solid car and nice to drive :)
Would recommend a RS tuner map mate as i'm averaging 33mpg atm :D it's suppose to take that up to 45-50 :)

I'm 19 with 1 Years NCB and iv'e just insured mine with elephant with listed mods for £772 :O give them ago if its not to late as prices have dropped for the younger drivers by about 20% :)

FF Clio 182
Yh i looked at getting it mapped and doing a couple of mods. I Agree with you about the insurance i just had a look and Elephant and Admiral Fully comp is about £800 with about £250! Like i always say insurance is only a problem if you crash :) But as far as the 182 go what are they like to live with ? Cost and everyday driving ?

If i manage to get it and on the road will have to hit you up some time.

RenaultSport 182FF
Yh i looked at getting it mapped and doing a couple of mods. I Agree with you about the insurance i just had a look and Elephant and Admiral Fully comp is about £800 with about £250! Like i always say insurance is only a problem if you crash :) But as far as the 182 go what are they like to live with ? Cost and everyday driving ?

If i manage to get it and on the road will have to hit you up some time.

Yeah, I would rather just write it off if i did mind, otherwise you will pay out your nose on how much the car is worth just in the first month :D

They are actually quite practical, obviously you will experience your fair share of electrical problems like you will have has with the 1.2 ;)
other than that the only thing that really you question on practicality is the clutch! Its not hydraulic like your 1.2, its straight through wire, so its very stiff.
This doesn't really bother me I quite like it, It does get a little annoying in traffic though :(

I've just started work again this week and have got around 400 miles out of the tank, averaging around 35 mpg, I want that map :D

Couldn't really fault the drive really, the suspension is a lot harder than the 1.2 if you have a cup pack version but even that isn' t as unbearable as I imagined :)

Where abouts are you located?

Andrew

FF Clio 182
Yh it's abit stupid when I have to pay nearly double the cost of the car on just insurance. Just if you crash don't hit anyone then you are ok. :)

only had couple minor issues with my clio, my main problem is with all the little plastic clips that breaks just by touching then. Do the clio 182's have relatively high clutch biting points? I have driven several 1.2 and they are all auto adjusting and fairly high! The clio I got Is cable not hydraulic.

400 miles out of a tank! In my 1.2 I get about 250 miles a tank! It does have a faulty lambda sensor tho. I know what you mean about the ride tho because I have clio sport springs on my 1.2. A little hard but a good parlance of handling and comfort. It's not like its slammed or anything just a good hight.

i live in Cirencester

Carl

RenaultSport 182FF
Yh it's abit stupid when I have to pay nearly double the cost of the car on just insurance. Just if you crash don't hit anyone then you are ok. :)

only had couple minor issues with my clio, my main problem is with all the little plastic clips that breaks just by touching then. Do the clio 182's have relatively high clutch biting points? I have driven several 1.2 and they are all auto adjusting and fairly high! The clio I got Is cable not hydraulic.

400 miles out of a tank! In my 1.2 I get about 250 miles a tank! It does have a faulty lambda sensor tho. I know what you mean about the ride tho because I have clio sport springs on my 1.2. A little hard but a good parlance of handling and comfort. It's not like its slammed or anything just a good hight.

i live in Cirencester

Carl

Plastic clips?

It's no different to a 1.2 mate, similar biting point , just a heavier clutch.

You must drive it like a nutter, I get 52mpg average in my 1.2 :D

Ahh so your only down the road :)

FF Clio 182
Work in a retail store in Cirencester. My boss got it brand new off the forecourt. He had a Subaru before so he didnt want to loose any power so got a Clio 182. By the sounds of it he deeply regretted it (30 mpg :( lol ). now getting something a bit slower and better mpg by the sounds of it.

FF Clio 182
Plastic clips?

It's no different to a 1.2 mate, similar biting point , just a heavier clutch.

You must drive it like a nutter, I get 52mpg average in my 1.2 :D

Ahh so your only down the road :)

Just all the panel clips and stuff like that. Well i know its got a fault lambda sensor so that don't help at all. Put about £50 in and it gets me about 250 miles so not great :(

Yh just down the road :)

RenaultSport 182FF
Just all the panel clips and stuff like that. Well i know its got a fault lambda sensor so that don't help at all. Put about £50 in and it gets me about 250 miles so not great :(

Yh just down the road :)

Geez i'm joining you now :D My lambda/02 sensor has just gone :mad:

God i can't believe that mine does a minimum of 500 miles :)

Andrew

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
500 miles from a tank? Do you take it above 30mph?

RenaultSport 182FF
That is what i was thinking :)

I only get 250 miles for £50 because i have faulty lambda sensor and it a 1.2 so you have to redline it to get some decent speed :)

Ahh i thought it was the 182 that had the faulty lambda sensor, yeah that is true regarding the redline part :D

RenaultSport 182FF
£53-60 it depends how long I ignore the petrol light :D

If im straight up with you it won't do feck all on a 1.2 mate, 1-2bhp if your lucky ;)
However your 182 it will give better performance increases and better mpg :) Iv'e started using Shell's V Power, definitely better and have monitored the mpg, power I am not sure on the gains but on an engine like that it will definitely show noticeable results 10bhp+ :)

FF Clio 182
I knew it didn't give it any real world power just always seemed to run nicer :) yh considered that V Power, so is that what you would say is better? If V Power gives me better mpg then I up for that :) considering my 1.2 getting about 30mpg the transition to a 182 would be unnoticeable! But it would go a hell of alot faster :) what is always a bonus.

RenaultSport 182FF
It will, but only because they water down the supermarket fuel.

Shells normal FuelSave is the standard and is what the stuff from tesco etc. should be like.

Sort of, however you could have gotten more if you had serviced it ;) think of all of the money you could have saved from just replacing a component thats £50 :S

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
£53-60 it depends how long I ignore the petrol light :D

If im straight up with you it won't do feck all on a 1.2 mate, 1-2bhp if your lucky ;)
However your 182 it will give better performance increases and better mpg :) Iv'e started using Shell's V Power, definitely better and have monitored the mpg, power I am not sure on the gains but on an engine like that it will definitely show noticeable results 10bhp+ :)

10bhp+?! Please tell me your joking here? The only thing V-power does for my 182 is makes it idle a little better and gives a little more mpg, if any really. But as for an extra 10bhp???? I don't think so. Not even a remap would increase the power by 10bhp......

FF Clio 182
It will, but only because they water down the supermarket fuel.

Shells normal FuelSave is the standard and is what the stuff from tesco etc. should be like.

Sort of, however you could have gotten more if you had serviced it ;) think of all of the money you could have saved from just replacing a component thats £50 :S

Yeah I hear a lot about the supermarket stuff not being that great! It has been serviced changed plugs, oil/filter, air filter about 7 months ago and changed the plugs again about 1 month ago :)

RenaultSport 182FF
10bhp+?! Please tell me your joking here? The only thing V-power does for my 182 is makes it idle a little better and gives a little more mpg, if any really. But as for an extra 10bhp???? I don't think so. Not even a remap would increase the power by 10bhp......

Satstistically online they say 10bhp gain from tests, so i'm going on stats, the '+' was referring to possibilities of gaining more as VPower you would benefit further on a turbo'd engine.

It might not be a gain but more a what the car should run at, original bhp tests when cars are manufactured are based on using premium fuel!
So you loose it in using s**te fuel like the stuff they sell at supermarkets.

Therefore in the majority of average car users, and carl's case, its a gain :)

FF Clio 182
Satstistically online they say 10bhp gain from tests, so i'm going on stats, the '+' was referring to possibilities of gaining more as VPower you would benefit further on a turbo'd engine.

It might not be a gain but more a what the car should run at, original bhp tests when cars are manufactured are based on using premium fuel!
So you loose it in using s**te fuel like the stuff they sell at supermarkets.

Therefore in the majority of average car users, and carl's case, its a gain :)

So what your saying is using a premium fuel gives bhp by compensating the bhp lost due to the engines age! If you catch my drift?

RenaultSport 182FF
So what your saying is using a premium fuel gives bhp by compensating the bhp lost due to the engines age! If you catch my drift?

No :D What i'm saying is when you use premium fuel that's the bhp result you should be receiving, like they show on the 'sales marketing brochures'.

However most people don't use it and are not achieving the maximum potential of the engine if you will :)
Premium fuel can treat an engine and prolong its running life expectancy :)

FF Clio 182
No :D What i'm saying is when you use premium fuel that's the bhp result you should be receiving, like they show on the 'sales marketing brochures'.

However most people don't use it and are not achieving the maximum potential of the engine if you will :)
Premium fuel can treat an engine and prolong its running life expectancy :)

Ok I see what you mean :)

you said about getting one of them RS tuners, do you think they actually all that great I have heard mixed reviews on them?

Wow there is alot of sales marketing b****cks in here.

RSTuners.
They smooth the idle, and smooth out the 5k kick, you won't notice any MPG improvement in my experience. Letalone 15mpg gain. PMSL. They might gain you 1/2bhp. IME no noticeable power change.

Worth it? Not in my opinion. But I've had several cars with remaps with great gains so the RSTuner was a bit of a let down for me.

95/98 fuel.
The Clio is designed to run on 98, it says this in your manual and your fuel cap. You will loose some power but not noticeable. It's all down to ign advance, you will see a little less advance when running 95 due to the engine seeing knock. So it'll pull some timing, thus a slight loss in power.

MPG.
Depends how you drive it. My 172 will see 45mpg happily. Drive it hard and I'll see 20mpg.

Hope this helps.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Dan, your forgetting the 10bhp+ increase from shell Vpower!! ;)