ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to build a meglio this winter

rs 200
Hello,

I am hoping to build a 225 powered mk3 Clio and I am currently looking for the best build threads or guides available here on the forums or elsewhere? I've had a little search but looking for some recommendations.

I currently own a stripped, half caged 200 which I adore but want a little more power in the straights.

Any guidance is appreciated!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
From what I've seen it looks quite expensive in comparison and apparently they get hot?

Have you got one?
The saving grace with the supercharger option is you can use your engine and ancillaries that you know work. A mate of mine used to do Megane conversions and there were countless times he'd have to buy multiples of something because he'd break a Megane for the running gear and then the alternator would set on fire, or an engine would just blow up or a gearbox would s**t itself. It's all those added costs that just make it a nightmare and once you've got as far as fitting the engine you're already balls deep and it's easier to push through🤣 The devil you know rather than the devil you don't

Plus wiring, cooling and everything else has to be tweaked. If you're handy and can do it all yourself you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you like. A Megane engine and R26 diff'd box is anywhere from £1500-£2000 which is half the price of a supercharger kit. Add on a grand or 2 for the rest of the parts plus mapping.

I've not got one myself, know of a lot of people with Meglios and a couple with supercharged track cars. This is just my 2 pence of course😅

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
As pudding says, I wouldn't trust a megane engine unless it's fully forged.

They are literally hit and miss, theyre not like a k20 engine where you can be sure they're sound. It's a roll a dice game.

I've had loads of 225 engines and the amount I've compression tested and they're super low is a lot.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Supercharge your 200. Megane engines are dogshit, sound s**t and just blow up for absolute fun

An unopened 197/200 engine will make the same (if not more) as a standard Megane engine but will be far more reliable
Them 200 engines chuck rods and drop valves. Cant say they are more reliable mate.

In arguement me and a mate have both ran 280+ hp for years in the megs and not had issues, trackdays the lot. My mrs 225 was tuned when we got it albeit badly and its done 25k in our ownership mapped to the limit of torque on stock engine without any work apart from servicing. Ndo gearbox no issues either, especially compared to stock 200 box.

A lot of the meglio conversions are quite dogshit, using stock fuel pump, old cobbled together jobs from well used breaker cars, no wonder very unreliable.

Id budget for freshening up a meg engine now if going that route. They are old engines now and all have been flogged hard by every previous owner.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Tbh if i was converting id look at k20 on the conversion kit and get it up and running on Ecumaster Black. Itll cost more, but it looks epic.

rs 200
k20 supercharged sounds the nuts but also sounds very expensive... Any build threads for one of those? :D

I guess I don't necessarily need to go Meglio but I want a winter project, building a mk3 clio that will make 270+ hp.

I'm surprised the Megane engines are so unreliable seems so many people build them?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Are they unreliable? Or is it as Brigsy says, with people buying the cheapest R26 engine/car and lumping that engine in? Which usually means the car/engine has been flogged and generally poorly maintained?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
k20 supercharged sounds the nuts but also sounds very expensive... Any build threads for one of those? :D

I guess I don't necessarily need to go Meglio but I want a winter project, building a mk3 clio that will make 270+ hp.

I'm surprised the Megane engines are so unreliable seems so many people build them?
So many people build them because they buy the 197 because it looks cool as f**k, and the handling is like no other hot hatch. It’s superb.

But it’s missing 100bhp and a ton of torque. Desperately missing it in fact.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I guess the mk2 is lighter and the mk3 is heavier to get the best bang you have to have more power output out of the K 20 in the Mark three chassis