ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to buy a 172...help!

BMW 3 Series (E30)
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking quite seriously about buying a 172, and wondered if any of you guys would be so kind as to furnish me with some answers to a couple of questions?

I've been looking for a replacement for my aging BM for a while now, and seem to have looked at just about every car in my price range. In the end, though, I think I am set on a 172. I was looking along the lines of MR2 Turbos, FTOs, NA Supras and Alfa GTVs for a bit, but in a sudden fit of madness I decided to up my budget and go new. So, a day later I found myself test-driving a brand new Civic Type-R, and thoroughly enjoying it. Later, after the VTEC-induced adrenaline had worn off, I thought to myself I could actually buy an awesome hatch with what was to be my deposit for the Civic, and the chances are it would be 99% as enjoyable.

So...a bit later I was going through a copy of evo, and saw a picture of a 172. I then remembered all the great reviews, before setting out on my search.

Now, the budget is around the £5000 mark. I've seen a lot of tempting examples around this price-point (and some up to £1k less) but need a bit of helping identifying 'the one'.

I'm aware of the cambelt problem, and that it should be done after 5 years or 72,000 miles...but can I ask how expensive this would be to have carried out if I bought a car in need of a new one?

Also, I've heard some horror stories regarding the gearbox...is there any substance to these tales or is it just the legacy of previous French hot hatches?

Apart from these foibles, are there any other known problems that a new buyer should be mindful of?

In terms of model, I'm leaning towards the ph2 FF variant. Seems like the Cup might be more fun, but I'm not too keen on paying more for less equipment. Or am I missing something? Aside from the weight reduction and wheels, were there any other changes? I thought originally the Cup was the cheaper car to buy, but used prices seem to be the other way round! I've looked at various topics detailing the ph1 and 2 differences, and from what I can establish the differences are so small it is largely a personal choice as to which is 'better'. Is that fair?

Ideally I would like to play with the car a little (say, de-cat, re-map, exhaust and induction) but would I be better buying a standard example and having the work carried out myself or buying a car with the work already carried out? What sort of price would I be looking at for the aforementioned goodies?

Finally, I've read the p2 172 hits 60 from rest in 7.1 seconds. From your (collective) experience, does that sound about right? And if so, what sort of difference would the basic mods outlined above make?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any insight, I'd be very grateful! Sorry it was such a long post!

Cheers,

Adrian

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
there is a beutiful ph1 172 for sale on here at £4900 :D

decat, exhuast,
coilovers, wheels, etc etc its ready to go.
hehe.

ill write a more in depth answer in a bit when ive finished this job at work

BMW 3 Series (E30)
lol I spotted your car earlier actually, and very lovely it looks too. I'm looking forward to your in-depth response later! :)

www.renparts.co.uk
the gearbox stories are not really true... it does happen but as you can appreciate a lot of them see a lot of hammer, the box doesn't like to be rushed too much though..... theyre a fairly reliable car to be fare....... don't suffer from rust, faults are mainly niggly ones... rattling trim etc...

Mountune Tractor
I've not heard about gearboxes being that bad either.
I opted for FF because of the xenons, leather etc etc and thoroughly enjoyed it that way. They are similar in price but it is a real buyers market at the moment, never been a better time to buy a 172/182. You can afford to be picky.
As far as modifications go, I personally wouldn't bother but if you really want to do it then I would recommend buying a modified version on this forum which has been cared for by Yozza, Rentech, GDI etc etc
I would go for a rarer colour aswell such as blue/red rather than a silver one as it will hold it's price better.