ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looks like my bean got written off this aft :(

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Hope I can steal a part of this thread.
Tuesday 2 weeks ago i had a van drive into my clio's arse. So first of all I'd like your opinion on who will be to take the blame.
It was during my commute to work on a country lane with heavy trafic as it's one of the main roads from A3 to Brooklands & Woking. I had plenty of space ahead of me and there was a lorry pulling out of a T junction onto my lane from the left. I slowed down to give it space. On the oposite lane i noticed a large queue of cars with the first one wanting to come across the road to go into where the lorry just came from (File 1) as the traffic was heavy and the queue behind the car already long rather than accelerate and follow the lorry now ahead of me i came to a stop folowed by a sound of horn and a moderately big shunt from behind. (The outcome is in the other files)
I have exchanged details with the guy, seemed nice enough fella. Told him im going to assess the damage before we decode what to do. If its just the bumper i would be ok with going outside the insurance and him paying for a 2nd hand one or respray. Otherwise we would have to figure it out. Unfortunately today when i found time to check whats underneath the bumper and the rear structure is bent so it will have to go the other way.

Question 1. According to law am i partly to blame because i stopped to allow oncoming car to leave that junction?

Question 2. What's the best way to make a claim without going through my insurance? Wouldn't want my no claim discount go or premoums to go up.

Cheers!

Question 1: Are you f**k partly to blame! A lorry was pulling out of a T-junction of course you're going to slow/stop to allow them to maneuver safely, it's not like you're just going to go flying into the back of it.

Question 2: Don't even bother, go through insurance it's 100% the other drivers fault, make sure you get a good value for your car and move on. Don't prat about, it'll only go badly and leave you out of pocket.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I would be fixing that, my bird would bend the boot floor more than that with how hard she closed the boot. Usually you see them rippled right the way up

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Get payout.
Buy car back.
Reverse up to tree.
Tie rope around tree.
Tie other end around clio.
Drive forwards slowly.
Remove rope.
Clio = fixed ?

Id certainly be fixing that, especially if its your pride & joy!!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Get payout.
Buy car back.
Reverse up to tree.
Tie rope around tree.
Drive forwards slowly.
Remove rope.
Clio = fixed ?

I'd actually consider this option, sounds daft but could straighten the boot with this idea.

100% fix this, or I'll buy it!

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Get payout.
Buy car back.
Reverse up to tree.
Tie rope around tree.
Drive forwards slowly.
Remove rope.
Clio = fixed ?

I've been involved doing similar to a metro that had a front end-er. Ratchet strap round tree, round headlight hole in slam panel, reverse. Worked a treat

535d / t5 caravelle
streched clio limo springs to mind[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Clio 182
So anyway back on topic...

I know you'll all say pics are needed here which I wish I'd got before now but with the shock, adrenaline, fucked offness and headache I didn't think to. I'll get some in the morning!
But if I say I want to keep hold of the car how easy is it likely to be to get it to a point where I can lock the boot? Anyone else been in the same predicament? lol

I got my 04 plate 182 back on the road just around 18 months ago, 2k ish of damage, boot floor crumpled, rear seats wouldn't lock into place, new bumper, light and new exhaust, managed to ask around both at independent Renault place and various insurance approved repairers and more than one was willing to do a deal. Insurance were pushing for write off but as I had the car from new I wanted to keep it - just scraped through given cost of repairs and value from insurance with an approved repairer as they have such low rates, to get it in just under the upper cost limit.

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
You have the choice to keep the car and you tell your insurance that the car is very special to you and you do not what the car to be written off. Find a independent Body Shop and get a few very cheap estimates and use secondhand replacement parts. Ask you insurance what’s the maximum amount they will pay for the repair cost and take the money, but you need to discuss this with your insurance engineer and not the claims department.
I know because I have a hit and run in last year and yes I did catch up with the plum lol

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Well this was an interesting read[emoji23]

I hope you kept the car and fixed it, always a shame to scrap a car for the most trivial of bumps

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
So the car has been classed as a Cat S write off today :(.
I'll be buying the car back but I'm unsure on what to do after that.

I could get it it back on the road myself and keep running it. The only issue is that it'll be forever be a Cat S now and I'm not sure I want to be chucking loads of money on it in the future. Such as the belts, sorting out the usual rust bubble on the drivers side of the bonnet etc and general upkeep.

I'm just not sure I'll have the passion for it now knowing it's a cat S. I had a few on here interested in having it to use as a track car which it'd be great for still once touched up. Then get my self another good example and carry on as I was...

Decisions, decisions...:(

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be the same. Some it wouldn't bother which I'd fine, but kinda of takes the shine off.

Id say move on

Yeah it does take the shine off. I'm leaning towards letting it go and moving on with another at the moment but tomorrows another day and I might change my mind again lol.

If anyone has a good example for sale then feel free to try and sway my decision(y).

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Are you staying Clio.

Well I'm in the same boat as you now ??.
I'll have probably up to 5k, 5.5 at a push. Could go FN2, R26 etc or just find another nice 182 which I'm leaning towards at the moment because well I know what I'm looking for in them so it's not too difficult. Plus they're probs the cheapest to run...

I might have to buy a s**t box to roll in while I find one too just like you. Hmm maybe I should start doing a few what car threads haha?.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Well I'm in the same boat as you now ??.
I'll have probably up to 5k, 5.5 at a push. Could go FN2, R26 etc or just find another nice 182 which I'm leaning towards at the moment because well I know what I'm looking for in them so it's not too difficult. Plus they're probs the cheapest to run...

I might have to buy a s**t box to roll in while I find one too just like you. Hmm maybe I should start doing a few what car threads haha?.
Mazda 3 MPS

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Wouldn't take the shine off it for me. You'll pocket a few £ and still have the same car once it's been repaired. The only time you should worry about the category is when you're selling it, so just run it into the ground.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Wouldn't take the shine off it for me. You'll pocket a few £ and still have the same car once it's been repaired. The only time you should worry about the category is when you're selling it, so just run it into the ground.

I must admit, i would tend to agree.

If the car was 3 years old and had that little damage, it would have been fixed, not categorised & the previous owners would never know.

Now its old and worth 50p, naturally its been written off, but it doesnt change the amount of damage that has has happened, just the stigma attached to it.

I'd take it as an opportunity to get some money back in my pocket!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
my cousin has an r26 and I much prefer the clio, miles better imo!

If it was me I would buy back cheap as piss and repair, then use it. Its ok saying you wouldn't want to chuck loads of money at it via servicing and running costs but that's all they are, they don't tend to increase the value of the car loads anyway.

Other option as you say is sell and buy another, although it could take time and the longer it takes you might end up wanting something else.

Main thing is main your own mind up and don't be influenced by others, you have to pay for it, drive it etc.

good luck replacing it!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Buy it back, run it till the belts need doing then either strip it or sell it as a track car (needs belts)

That way you'll get every last ounce of valve out of the thing before flogging it on.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
My mind keeps changing daily on this. So annoying whats happened!

Today after reading some of the above posts I'm thinking now to get it repaired and run it though I'm not sure I'll bother with the belts Jan. Then if a mint car pops up over the next 12 months I can snap it up and then sell this/strip the good bits off.
I'd only have to buy a cheap run around anyway until something comes up so the cost of fixing is probably going to be similar.

Thanks all for the words of wisdom (y). That's not to say my mind won't change tomorrow though lol.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Having a marker on it wouldn't put me off. At least you know exactly what damage it suffered and how it was repaired. Take good pics of it and it may stil fetch a decent price if kept in good condition in the future.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Picked the car up today with a fresh mot.
It'll do for now until I find another that I like.

20190328_184655.jpg
20190328_184701.jpg