ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loud high pitched whistle at 80mph

I've got a really strange problem, when i reach 80mph and over i get a loud screaming, whistle sound coming from inside the car around the front left area. If i open the passenger window even slightly the noise dissapears, or doesn't happen at all when at high speed.
I'm totally baffled by this, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Cheers.

FF Blackgold 182
IIRC this is a common problem on 1*2's. Mine happens at, ahem, speed. I think it has something to do with the way the windscreens are set in at the factory. Think another member on here had hers taken out and then reset and it was fine after that. Someone will prob be along in a minute to correct me though. ;)

Evo 6, E92 320d
I think a few people mentioned the temp sensor under the passenger mirror, theres a gaping hole around it.

The windscreen theory is interesting, cos it's sounds like the noise is floating around in the air by the windscreen, not from a panel or trim if you know what i mean? Was thinking possibly the windscreen wipers lifting up or something.
I've got no temp sensor on my wingmiror, just a big hole, which i taped over, made no difference.
How much would it cost to get the windscreen removed and fit back in? Sounds like a pain in the arse.
Thanks for the help though guys.

The wing mirrors used to whistle at a certain speed, its the gap between the mirror and the mirror base, tape over it and take it for drive to see if its cured.

The wing mirrors used to whistle at a certain speed, its the gap between the mirror and the mirror base, tape over it and take it for drive to see if its cured.

I'll give it a try thanks. But this is no whistle, it's like a mad banshee screaming inside the dashboard! So any ideas on why it would stop when the passenger window is open, even just a crack?

No not sure really, just remember it was quite common problem that we saw quite a few times at the stealers. It'll only take 2 mins to tape up and rule it out.

yap

51 Clio 172
Re: Loud high pitched whistle at 30mph+

Lol yeah thats pretty much what it sounds like, just a little higher pitched lol nice one ;)

Mine has just started this noise, did you find out what it was?
I have taped up the mirrors at it is not them.

Inferno 182
I had this on my old 182 and it was the windscreen,when the noise starts get a passenger to put pressure on it and push out somewhere near the interior light and that should stop it.
My dealer had the screen resealed and all was fine after that

Mine does this at ***mph ish.

I think its down to the corners of the seal that sit around the screen. I have found by fiddling with mine (the screen trim corners) that it does stop it. Although it does tend to start again in a few weeks or so, i guess where they shift from cleaning, wind etc.

yap

51 Clio 172
Tks guys it is the windscreen. Taped it up and found it is on the drivers side.:D

BG 182 FF
mine was doing this all the way back from the lakes today- it only happens at about 90-100mph (on private roads obviously ;))
will give the mirrors & windscreen trick a try- seems to come from drivers side and sounds like ive got about 30 ghosts trapped under my bonnet all going "WOOOOOOOOOOOO" at the same time! first time it happened i s**t myself