ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low mileage 04 182 19k!

Westfield, 182, 200
I pass an '04 182 nearly every day and in 2 years I've only seen it move twice.

Sooo, as i 'm looking for a bit of a project, I decided to knock the door. Turns out it's a guy who must be in his seventies, has owned it for 7 years and it has only done 19k miles! The seatbelts were still clicked in place as if it's just come from an MOT!

Bad points, if his house is anything to go by, it's not be serviced regularly, in fact it looked like it hadn't had a wash for a couple of years (same went for the owner!) Tyres were cheapo too. It's not a full fat but it looked straight!
Guy took my number, so who knows. Nothing gained etc!

Makes you wonder how many 'barn find' clips sport are out there?

Ian.

53 Clio's & counting
More than you think - a friend of mi e has a triumph herald convertible tucked up in his parents garage - parked it there about 17 years ago and it's still there lol.

Tempted to buy it tbh

If you were to buy it and give it a good service and do cambelt/dephaser should be alright no?

I dont much about cars, but could much damage be done by it not being serviced for a while but also not driven? Maybe perished seals that could cause damage or something.....dont know much about how it all works though lol:rasp:

If you were to buy it and give it a good service and do cambelt/dephaser should be alright no?

I dont much about cars, but could much damage be done by it not being serviced for a while but also not driven? Maybe perished seals that could cause damage or something.....dont know much about how it all works though lol:rasp:

If its super low miles, it probably means most of its life it's been doing short trips to the shop and back.

The engine will never be getting upto temp, so the oil will be cold. Also gearboxes could have been used a lot more in lower gears etc.

A car with average or higher miles will most probably have been up and down the motorway upto temp with little wear on the car.

That's my opinion anyway.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Personally , if i was looking for a 2nd hand car I'd rather have one that's done 19k opposed to one that's done 119k . So it might have only had one or maybe two services , not 10 and 2 belt changes . Does that make it a bad car ? Imo , no . It basically hasn't even done enough miles to be properly run in . But there's less chance of something going bang and failing if you ask me .

As long as it's straight , no damage , put a cheeky offer in if he gets back to you . Nothing ventured , nothing gained . There seems to be a way of thinking recently on CS that higher mileage cars are better . I just don't get that myself .

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'd rather have a high milage one that's been driven regular.

Low miles doesn't always make a good car.

That's true but if you can bring the low miler back to how it should be with a nice service and whatever else it requires, it's always going to be worth more.

1.7 cdti
Personally , if i was looking for a 2nd hand car I'd rather have one that's done 19k opposed to one that's done 119k . So it might have only had one or maybe two services , not 10 and 2 belt changes . Does that make it a bad car ? Imo , no . It basically hasn't even done enough miles to be properly run in . But there's less chance of something going bang and failing if you ask me .

As long as it's straight , no damage , put a cheeky offer in if he gets back to you . Nothing ventured , nothing gained . There seems to be a way of thinking recently on CS that higher mileage cars are better . I just don't get that myself .
19k or 119k it should still have had at least 1 belt change and 1 due this year anyway and if it's only been serviced twice it's been sat with dirty oil pumping round the engine causing more damage for a few years then

Westfield, 182, 200
The 182 was registered in June 2004 so it must be due a cambelt, unless it was done late. Will see if I get a knock at the door!

Took my wife's '58 plate 197 for it's 5 year cam belt change last year, the next day I took my 60 plate 71k mile 200 cup in for the same, Fred commented how much cleaner the 200 was internally as it had been used on long journeys rather than short trips! Worth servicing a little used car more often?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
19k or 119k it should still have had at least 1 belt change and 1 due this year anyway and if it's only been serviced twice it's been sat with dirty oil pumping round the engine causing more damage for a few years then

How can it be sat " pumping " dirty oil round the engine ? :S I'd still go with a car on 19k and minimal service opposed to one that that's done 119k with a shed load of service history . If the price is right , get a " Full service " with both belts , spark plugs etc ..... sorted :D And we've yet to establish what service history this car actually has .