ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lumpy idle / tick over on 182

Clio 182
@Vaughan In post 142 he's just slotting it in to show us that it went easy. You're right, it would be bolted in when you're doing the job.
In terms of car performance, mine drove absolutely fine with the timing out. It pulled fine through the rev range and topped out nicely too. All the perceptible problems were at idle.

This is by far the best post I have seen so far on the rough idle, you can actually hear the timing is out when you approach them (if not overshadowed by the dephazer) I recently brought one as the owner had, had enough after years of miss diagnosis and the parts cannon being throw at it I asked if the problem started in 2013 (belt changed) he said yes it went in for a service and was not right since. Removed the inlet Cam bung to see a butchered Cam lock slot (probably done up hoping it might hold ?) Save time and money and check the Cam timing start diagnosis back to front. Well done @Davyboy888

Land Rover
My 182 drove fine and performance was great.
The idle was lumpy though, and it tended to kangaroo when driving slowly in traffic.
The last two owners had put up with this thinking it was “normal”
I had the cam belt changed by Birchdown Motors, they said the cam timing was out, and when l got it back it was transformed.

No more lumpy idle it’s as smooth as silk and no more kangarooing in traffic. Together with the new clutch it’s so much nicer to drive.

Clio 182
Good to hear, there are far too many F4r's on the road like this. And a new clutch you must be doing leg day down the gym to compensate ?