ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M135i - Attempt Number 2

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Pull the other one lad, they work well for me as the side walls are stiff, much stiffer than the PS4S tbf. Lots of progression when on the limit wet and dry.

Cups 2s are in a different league but not suited for a 2 ton estate.

Edited to add, fyi the PS4 was not a replacement for the MPSS, it was the less focused of the two, if you wanted a more focused tyre you would stick with the MPSS. However the PS4 is available in smaller sizes which in my case, works out well for the M3 running 17” alloys.

Everyone’s different I guess. But I had PSS on the M135i and they were replaced with PS4 which were miles better in the wet and no discernible difference in the dry.

On my M4 I went from PSS to Cup 2 and the Cup2 just makes it evident just how s**t the PSS are for steering feel. The car was noticeably more direct, and the wet grip is still pants, but it’s worth it for the extra communication.

Long story short. PSS are s**t and you should either go PS4 (S or otherwise) or Cup 2 if you want Michelin. PSS aren’t even the cheapest.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Everyone’s different I guess. But I had PSS on the M135i and they were replaced with PS4 which were miles better in the wet and no discernible difference in the dry.

On my M4 I went from PSS to Cup 2 and the Cup2 just makes it evident just how s**t the PSS are for steering feel. The car was noticeably more direct, and the wet grip is still pants, but it’s worth it for the extra communication.

Long story short. PSS are s**t and you should either go PS4 (S or otherwise) or Cup 2 if you want Michelin. PSS aren’t even the cheapest.

I still disagree over the comments for the PSS however I do agree that the PS4S are leaps ahead which they will be due to natural progression in tyre tech as time has moved on. Once my current set have worn out I will move up to the PS4s but as it’s a daily I won’t be touching the cups.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm running the new Eagle F1s on mine. They seem great in all conditions so far but do wear quite fast. But then again coming from the e91 on run flats I'm used to that!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
PS4S is the best tyre on the market for an all rounder. No where near the steering feedback of a semi slick with a motorsport carcass but it’s characteristics in wet and dry are mind blowing..

I do like these M lites, I just prefer naturally aspirated engines. For an all rounder I’d take one of these over a Golf or an RS3 without a doubt!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

I complained from new that an LSD would really compliment my 220 Trophy as I was suffering from the front end washing out mid corner, 10k miles on the clock the front SuperSports were shot so I replaced them with a pair of PS4 (reluctantly, I wanted to keep it on supersports) and they were night and day!i had heard that PS4 would be better in the wet and much the same in the dry but the difference was frightening!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
PS4S is the best tyre on the market for an all rounder. No where near the steering feedback of a semi slick with a motorsport carcass but it’s characteristics in wet and dry are mind blowing..

I do like these M lites, I just prefer naturally aspirated engines. For an all rounder I’d take one of these over a Golf or an RS3 without a doubt!

Totally agree. I have them on the TT and it has amazing grip in both wet and dry.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Got a couple of PS4S to go on the RS3 this week, hoping they’ll be better than the stock Pirelli’s.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
How you getting on with the car ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
MPSS are frightful in the wet.
See i dont mind them in the wet, and they are great in the dry, but in damp/greasy conditions they are absolutely shocking!!

How you getting on with the car ?
Been using it far more over the last few days and am thoroughly enjoying it tbh, the way it can switch between relaxing barge (comfort) and "bouncy clio" (sport) is pretty neat, so deffo glad i held out for adaptive this time round. The steering knock is annoying me, but the parts/tool have arrived now so ill hopefully get that sorted in the next week or so (y) Have also purchased new seals for the passenger headlight, so with any luck that'll stop it steaming up all the time.

I am sure it’s for sale on babybmw
Yeah, i wouldnt think too much into that, all my cars are always for sale on their respective forums ...
If someone wants it they can have it, if not, ill keep it for my usual 6 months, then buy something else :ROFLMAO:

Tested the most pointless option ever as well. Self-parking. I will never use it, barring this video. Is quite cool though.
Apologies for the portriat video btw, the one time i do one instead of landscape, i have to upload it to youtube (couldnt be bothered to do another vid):

Parked next to my "other" new car option the other day, a black Golf Gti.
Deffo prefer the 1er in realife, its definately ugly beautiful.
Well, barring the headlights, they are just ugly :rolleyes:
49126562167_b75d3acbd4_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
49125882938_ca4a19b27b_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Then visited Surrey Rolling Road on Saturday with the CS lot. Thanks to @Davyy for organising (y)
49125882868_1e8d30f7a4_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Power wise, i said id be happy with anything over 300, so was pleased with 312bhp. Bang on for a standard PWG according to Charlie:
49125882923_e572698b62_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

You can see how the PWG/small turbo power delivery compares to my old EWG/big turbo below.
PWG has more torque low down (360lb ft vs 330 lb ft) then tails off faster. With the EWG pulling slightly harder between 5k-5.5k rpm, giving an extra 15bhp.
9507543e201ecc7562f4a3a6003b9422.jpg

What i will say is that this proves how epic the gearbox is, the M135i deffo feels faster than a manual 335i with say 365bhp.
The simple addition of a JB+ for another 35bhp or so would give it 350bhp ish and more than enough power.
Sod driving a B58 with 425bhp, the rear end traction would be appalling :ROFLMAO:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The box makes such a difference. I’ve had a few runs with M140is and E90 M3s with auto boxes in mine and they’re difficult to shake. You create a gap in a gear and then change gear and no matter how fast you think you can change, they get an instant boost. It’s still comfortably faster from any gear and speed mind you. But not the rape it would be with a DCT version.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Still loving this thing.

Deffo a convert to 5 door auto/adaptive M135i's. Manual 3dr ones on passive dampers can still get in the sea though lol.

Trip home to Cornwall confirmed that it aint no family wagon however. Not entirely sure where BabyJohns would have gone in amongst this lot :ROFLMAO:
49351299236_c64cdb6d97_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
49351299251_c3d3933996_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Had a similar issue on the way to Le Mans a few years back & one of the other cars had to come back and take some more stuff :rolleyes:
49351318706_44f72ab8c3_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

So with that in mind, the car is going at the end of the month (hopefully to a member of Cliosport) and the e91 335i will become the family bus.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Tidy. I’ve been offered a 2014 coupe a few times this year with low miles. Auto puts me off.

BMW 320d SE
I still like these. Just can’t see the point of rwd on a daily driver in the UK

An odd comment really. RWD gives you better balanced handling and no torque steer, just for starters. You don’t need a super car to feel the difference. I’m on my first beemer and it’s only a 320d, but straight away the difference is noticeable on a normal, sensible drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk1
I've dailied my S2k for nearly 2 years now, ride firm as anything, LSD, AD08rs etc. Total nightmare throughout winter but I wouldn't say its horrendous or raining 90% of the time, meh!

A standard M135i or M140i is well worth it for a comprimise petrolheads car / daily imo

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Because it’s 90% raining , 6% sunny and 4% snow or ice.

for a “fair weather” car it makes sense. I’m not denying it’s a better choice for a drivers car. But I just don’t feel like you get the benefits on the UK roads in normal use but you have the downsides because of the usual weather conditions

Fair enough but I drive a RWD the same as a FWD in the rain. When a FWD understeers a RWD just oversteers and if you're pushing it I find oversteer is easier to control.

But then to be fair I dont really ever drive quick in the rain.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Surrey rolling Road doesn't half look like well lane turbo centre from the 90s!
Renamed or am I miles off?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Elaborate?
Anyone saying “rain is a positive for RWD” clearly thinks that on a morning commute drifting round every corner and roundabout is normal behaviour. Which would make them a moron.

We aren’t 18 anymore and driving flat out everywhere.

Did you hear that @MarkCup ......... he may as well have called you a gimp :oops: :oops:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Elaborate?
Anyone saying “rain is a positive for RWD” clearly thinks that on a morning commute drifting round every corner and roundabout is normal behaviour. Which would make them a moron.

Consider maybe you’re being dense for taking such a definitive position on such a silly topic. With modern tyres you can drive around with 1 wheel drive (front or back) in anything but the iciest conditions without issue.

Also.. you call yourself a man when you can’t drift?

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I don't get why anyone would say RWD is not suited to everyday driving. BMW have successfully sold one or two RWD cars to the general public over the years without any major problem being reported.

I'd bet 75% of the driving general public don't know which wheel drive their car is.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Consider maybe you’re being dense for taking such a definitive position on such a silly topic. With modern tyres you can drive around with 1 wheel drive (front or back) in anything but the iciest conditions without issue.

Also.. you call yourself a man when you can’t drift?
Nothing defensive. The defensive approach is coming from other people if you read my initial approach.

For every day driving there are more negatives to RWD than there are 4WD or FWD so I just don’t see the point in owning a RWD car for a daily driver. 90%+ of the population don’t know what wheel drive their car is, but it’s always bints in BMWs you see stuck in the snow.

I agree with RWD for a fun car, and I’m not saying they don’t have their positives. But if you’re driving to work and back, popping to the shops or doing the school run, I feel like there are better choices than RWD out there.

It’s the RWD brigade that is getting defensive.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I don't get why anyone would say RWD is not suited to everyday driving. BMW have successfully sold one or two RWD cars to the general public over the years without any major problem being reported.

I'd bet 75% of the driving general public don't know which wheel drive their car is.
I didn’t say it’s not suited. I’m saying there are better choices for a daily driver than RWD.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I completely agree.

I do 20 mph in 2nd or 3rd gear, give the throttle a stab on an empty wide clear sighted roundabout, get hilariously sideways, and then giggle like a child.

All at under 30 mph.

The only downsides I see in RWD come if you have no control of your right foot.

Welshname have you ever owned a RWD?

With decent tyres the chance of the rear end stepping out is the same as hitting a corner in a FWD turning the wheel and heading towards the kerb. i.e. you have to be driving too fast in the first place.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
My m235i has politely reminded me on a couple of occasions that I need to respect the fact is a fairly high powered rwd, notably when exiting a roundabout or junction.