ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M140 Thread

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I found my adaptive setup a good blend of soft and comfortable, and slightly less soft if the mood took me.

I've ridden twice in passive cars with Bilstein dampers and the transformation is HUGE!
I agree with this. Perfectly comfortable and fine when in normal mode then if you want turn it to sport and it firmed it right up, or it did it to my liking at least.
If I were to have another I would go passive and then replace with Bilstein dampers.

I also need to not read this thread. As I really enjoyed having mine but didn't miss it when I got rid of it. But now I am having second thoughts....this is not helped by the fact I might be in need of a car that I don't want to fiddle with and just work all the time which is why I got one in the first place.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mark, if anyone is going to know the answer, its going to be you! How did the Bilsteins transform the car? Ive heard it makes it more 'compliant' down a B road but without making it wishy washy. Thoughts please :)

Note that I said "ridden" and not "driven", so this is all just from the passenger seat, but both cars were driven very enthusiastically...

Driving normally both felt as smooth, plush, and comfortable as my adaptive car did when in its comfort/soft setting, but when pressing on, they felt more taught and better controlled than my car did in its firmer setting.

I'm at Bedford with one of them in early August and I'm hoping to get a session behind the wheel.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
i don't really have anything to compare to, and i sacrificed adaptive in the end as i couldn't find one with other spec i was looking for, but agree with @Sidnancy they are a bit firm with std suspension, but for 95% of my driving it's never been an issue for me.

Snotter's
The guy I was buying the fuel pump on is messing me around which isn’t a bad thing as I’m swaying to finishing off the chassis.

Will be adding m3 lower control arms and tension struts then getting the alignment done to suit (will run a little more camber on the rear)

Had a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 supersports fitted and gave her a clean.

After ditching the RFT’s and with the B14’s the car is really comfy, supple and handles so much better than stock. It’s comfier than my 330e company car!

It needs a splitter as the front end lacks aggression

2400C0DA-6B07-4020-9EE4-0DCF5749F819.jpeg

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
There’s a M140 near us that’s got a map on it that would put a group B rally car to shame with the amounts of pops and bangs it does.

I’ve heard it loads round our local area over the past few months, but never seen what it was.

Saw it being driven the other day, I was embarrassed for him….

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Done a few miles and it’s growing on me, it handles surprisingly well. Need to check as it feels like it has an upgraded ARB. It feels well built and makes progress on fast and flowing roads well. As expected it lacks the turbo punch I’m used too

Good stuff. Quite siprised how well mine goes. Can see why they are so popular (mk5)

LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Was the R32 not always pretty good on throttle response. So that initial snap as you put your foot down. Obviously not that sustained shove that these big torque cars.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Was the R32 not always pretty good on throttle response. So that initial snap as you put your foot down. Obviously not that sustained shove that these big torque cars.
Yeah, they have amazing throttle response. It does make you think it’s going to fly but it’s very sedate after the initial snap, bit like the V6 Clio in that regard.

I always thought a supercharged R32 would be a weapon.

One of the best sounding stock cars though, and feel really sure footed.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Mate's just bought one of these. says he prefers it to the RS3 he had before, feels more fun. He reckons it feels a bit iffy at the back though so getting a BMW warranty approved LSD on it.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
not sure a diff will fix the float. Advise him to get subframe inserts and the underbody brace (if 5 door, 3 door comes with it from factory) as that fixes it. Mostly traction and brake away issues that the diff fixes :)

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
And some b14’s, hands down the best mod on my old 140
I'm on the hunt for a b12 kit actually. A friend of mine is changing his b12s for something lower in the new year and I'll have them off him. My only worry is harshness on the road as mine is 80% of them time just bumbling around town

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Mate's just bought one of these. says he prefers it to the RS3 he had before, feels more fun. He reckons it feels a bit iffy at the back though so getting a BMW warranty approved LSD on it.
Whereas i thought my RS3 was at least 15x times better than the M135i. I mean, it even had some kind of steering feel :ROFLMAO:
But then, it was £32k. My last M135i was £13k!! R32's are a great car as well i think, with an s/c they would be fantastic. Like a poor mans RS3 lol.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Whereas i thought my RS3 was at least 15x times better than the M135i. I mean, it even had some kind of steering feel :ROFLMAO:
But then, it was £32k. My last M135i was £13k!! R32's are a great car as well i think, with an s/c they would be fantastic. Like a poor mans RS3 lol.

R32 are still an absolute gem. I absolutely love them and loved driving my brother's about.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I hated my R32 - sold it after 3 months

Sounded mint, but that was about it. For me, it just felt heavy and slow - no finesse

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Does the RS3 have electric or hydraulic PAS?

If they'd put hydraulic PAS on the M135 it would have been exceptional imo. People spend loads of money tweaking the suspension to make it handle better but all it really needs is decent steering. An LSD is nice if you are pushing the car, but for most people just the steering would be enough.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i

If they'd put hydraulic PAS on the M135 it would have been exceptional imo. People spend loads of money tweaking the suspension to make it handle better but all it really needs is decent steering. An LSD is nice if you are pushing the car, but for most people just the steering would be enough.
Funny you mention this.

Can't decide whether or not to go for m4 lower control arms to give me some more feeling / turn in up front or to go for suspension mods.

Think insurance will prefer the prior though - Ageas are nazis :(

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

8V RS3 is electric as well. I just dont know how they made the M135i so awful.
I mean, people used to the take the p1ss out of EP3 CTR's and Audi TT's, but the BM is on another level of sh1t :ROFLMAO:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I mean, people used to the take the p1ss out of EP3 CTR's and Audi TT's, but the BM is on another level of sh1t :ROFLMAO:
It is strange, the 981 is electric too but has feel.

I had my e91 and M135i at the same time for a while and the e91 felt so good. I did get used to the 135 towards the end of my time with it, but it was more a case of trusting it and knowing what it could do rather than ever getting any feedback.

I still loved the car, probably the best all round car I've had, but I doubt I'd have another.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

Awwwww don't say that, I've been looking at them recently lolol

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
nahh, they arent that bad. Theyre not Honda Jazz bad, but theyre no clio in terms of feel. Its a weird one to try and explain but I think @jenic sums it up quite well by saying youve just gotta trust it....that, however, does take some time 🤣

Dont let the steering or suspension negatives let you go off them. Go drive one. The drivetrain is epic and I have thoroughly enjoyed mine over the last few years. Ok, its not perfect, but shoving a huge ass engine into a 116i with minor suspension tweaks was always going to have its limitations.

Funny you mention this.

Can't decide whether or not to go for m4 lower control arms to give me some more feeling / turn in up front or to go for suspension mods.

Think insurance will prefer the prior though - Ageas are nazis :(

Turns out the arms are also an F36 thing. Might get some. Do you know the part numbers?

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
i watched the Chris Harris video back last night were he tested the RS3 and M135i, admittedly he did say the 135 has no feeling what so ever from the steering wheel, but he did say it was incredibly accurate, i mean are they REALLY that bad? i have never felt out of control in mine, i am no driving god, but i can peddle a car down the road ok, they get a bit flighty if the roads uneven but i have never really found the handling or the steering to be an issue, and in my 30 off years of driving i have driven ALOT of cars.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
i watched the Chris Harris video back last night were he tested the RS3 and M135i, admittedly he did say the 135 has no feeling what so ever from the steering wheel, but he did say it was incredibly accurate, i mean are they REALLY that bad? i have never felt out of control in mine, i am no driving god, but i can peddle a car down the road ok, they get a bit flighty if the roads uneven but i have never really found the handling or the steering to be an issue, and in my 30 off years of driving i have driven ALOT of cars.

This is where I ended up opinion-wise with mine.

They handle well enough and they respond quickly and with precision, but they come with a complete, total, and almost incredible lack of feel.

Very much like driving a remote control car, you give it instructions and it obeys, but you never feel anything through those remotely connected sticks!

I'd still buy another in a heartbeat if I needed that much car again.