ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook Air

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I've had it a few weeks now and overall I think it's a fantastic machine. I can't believe how much of an improvement it is over my old laptop.

The switch from Windows to OSX has been pretty much seamless apart from having to learn the command prompts which wasn't difficult.

My only slight regret is not going for the next model up with the I7 processor. The model I have works fine for everything that I use it for but the frame rate really drops off when playing games, I think the I5 is to blame.

Apart from that it's perfect, I don't know how I managed without it.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
HDMi port is reserved for the Pro. The Air is all about mobility/small/thinness. They aint gonna get thinness if they add more ports.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The air has HDMI output capability already? As does every other mac with a display port/thunderbolt port.

Although 2009 models wont do sound.

205.jpg

I actually bought this last weekend.

Not bad, quality could be better, but for £12 I can't complain. I was going to get DVI, however I wanted it to carry sound which obviously DVI cannot.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yeah thats essentially exactly the same thing. Beauty of HDMI is its compatible with DVI.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yeah, so if you went for HDMI you'd have the option to connect to a DVI device with an adapter.

But if you went for DVI then you'd have a less flexible option because although you could go DVI - HDMI you'd lose the sound element.
So HDMI - DVI is a better solution.

£12 is good!

Yeah, I was going to get one from the Apple store, however after reading the reviews of the Moshi Mini I decided it wasn't worth it. Many of the reviews stated they were cheap and not worth the £30. With the one I got, I feel that I can change it at a later date as it was so cheap. I do think that the quality of my HDMI lead is poor and reduces the clarity considerable. (Tested at both 1080p and 1200p)

Really, I thought the quality of the cable could effect the signal loss.

Why is the quality so bad at 1080p/1200p then? Lack on GFX capabilities?

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
I actually bought this last weekend.

Not bad, quality could be better, but for £12 I can't complain. I was going to get DVI, however I wanted it to carry sound which obviously DVI cannot.

I got this. Works decently and muchosly cheaper than the Moshi equivalent.

Seat Leon Cupra 290
Couldn't be bothered to start a new thread. How does everyone get on with the relatively small hard drive size on these? Would something like a time capsule be a good addition alongside an air or would it just be better to buy a MBP?

LY R26
Depends on what sort of user you are,
I can live with my 256GB SSD on my MBP. 60GB of that is partitioned for Bootcamp too.

If you're a heavy media user, then some sort of external HDD is gonna be a necessity.

AK

M240i
I've hardly touched my 128GB, but all media is stored on a 4TB NAS, so not much need for anything on the actual MBA.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I've got the 128GB SSD in my Air and I've hardly used any memory on it. I use flash storage for a lot of stuff and I also use cloud storage as well.

I am hoping to do what AK has done and get a NAS at some point in the near future and start storing everything on that.

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1
I have just bought a MBA 11". It is the first Mac I have ever owned, so it is taking a little bit of getting used to. Nevertheless, it is far better than any windows computer I have ever used and I am really loving how quick everything is. The SSD is really fast and the OS is easy to navigate around. I bought Mountain Lion today which installed and runs seamlessly.
I think I will buy a 2TB Time Capsule next week. This will enable me to access all of my music without having to plug my external HDD into it, which is annoying me.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I thought I'd add this in here instead of starting a new thread.

Does anyone have any OBD2 diagnostics software that they use on a mac?

I can't find any.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I use virtual box, it's not as good as parallels or fusion but I prefer it to bootcamp as my windows usage is so minimal and just for odd programs. But even then, I hate running windows on my mac, and it is such a waste of the MBA's disk space (I don't run it on my MBA, just my Pro).

For just diagnostics on cars I use a cheap netbook, might be worth getting one. My netbook is dead handy for when I need to use windows for bits and bats.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I've just done some research and It would be wise if you use iPhoto a lot. A bit easier with photoshop etc. I was hoping an air could replace my IMac. Maybe not just yet.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
It's not an air though, and it is like 6 years old I think (spec looks like my 07 spec).

CBR1000RR Fireblade
What web browser does everyone use?

I've been using Safari, I used to use Chrome on my other laptop. I didn't rate Chrome on the Mac though.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I use Chrome. Primarily as I can sync my favourites over Mac, IOS and Android.