ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Manchester Street photography

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
So yesterday I went to Manchester to do some street Photography, I went quite early to capture the commuters on their Monday morning journey, and I think that the images show that Monday morning feeling.

9549013099_2a73288c09_z.jpg

Early Mornings by Niall97, on Flickr

9551807464_b185c4cec7_z.jpg

Sleepy commute by Niall97, on Flickr

9549030183_734a93858c_z.png

A new working week by Niall97, on Flickr

9551824344_dca2b7324b_z.jpg

Walk to work by Niall97, on Flickr

9549039013_8aff710ffa_z.png

Trainstation wait by Niall97, on Flickr

9551832026_7a7a30f857_z.jpg

Small Talk by Niall97, on Flickr

9551873000_aa1214b6c3_z.png

Morning Coffee by Niall97, on Flickr

Those are great. I quite like 2, 4, 5 and 6.

On Flickr, Small Talk was in a more normal aspect ratio like 4:3 or something. I think it looked a little better like that because it drew you more to the people and the separation was better because of the train's movement. In a square, I think the people look a little lost.

I know it's the same picture, but from the preview to the actual picture was quite a difference. Just an idea - it's still a cracking picture.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I don't usually like photography, but wow these are brill. 1st is a good one, showing how overworked the police actually are. Hire more police!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks everyone :)

And Tom, I see what you mean, I cropped it like this because I liked the geometry of the different lines, columns and the platform surrounding the people but I'll try your idea for a crop :)

And Tom, I see what you mean, I cropped it like this because I liked the geometry of the different lines, columns and the platform surrounding the people but I'll try your idea for a crop :)
Yeah, it's a good picture man. I think it's my favourite from the set. What lens do you use? I know it's a prime, but which one? The quality is beautiful.

Bit rapey, taking pics of sleeping people
I've got some cracking ones of you sleeping, Cookson.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Well if you can't appreciate the meaning and intent behind the photo it must seem so.

Oh, I can appreciate whet you have gone for, but I imagine if I woke up to someone "papping" me on public trampsport, I wouldnt be too chuffed

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Oh, I can appreciate whet you have gone for, but I imagine if I woke up to someone "papping" me on public trampsport, I wouldnt be too chuffed

Fair enough, but that’s street photography for you, it often splits opinion. But I’m guessing then that you complain to every CCTV company that captures your every move? Surely they’re capturing you unknowingly also?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Fair enough, but that’s street photography for you, it often splits opinion. But I’m guessing then that you complain to every CCTV company that captures your every move? Surely they’re capturing you unknowingly also?

No, but a DSLR in your face is a little more invasive ha ha.

Great pics though

koi

Audi S1
Hope no ones taken any pics of me when I fall asleep on the train in the morning, drool galore!

320d

Would probably end up with you being punched in the face as the result of your passive aggressive advances such as your latest road rage incident...

I’m not a pro, no. It is my chosen career path once I’ve left school though.

Left school?

How old are you. Lol

Seems strange to wake up one morning and think I'm going to take pictures of people on the train. Nice pics though.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Left school?

How old are you. Lol

Seems strange to wake up one morning and think I'm going to take pictures of people on the train. Nice pics though.

I’m 15 haha. The story goes that I went to meets with my brother and I wanted to post my pics from them on the forum so I joined, just to save explaining before the inevitable question of my is somebody who can’t drive on a car forum :p

It’s not quite as spontaneous as that, and it isn’t just the train, that was the means of getting to manchester in an environment that could present some good shots as is proved in the photos. I’ve done street photography before so I planned on doing it again.

Just to settle the ’taking pictures of people is weird’ orientated responses, I’d do some research into street photography and you’ll soon realise that I’m not a strange person who walks around taking pictures of randomers and in fact I am one of millions who set out to do this, and some are quite famous for it i.e. Digital Rev TV. That recurring thought of it being strange to photograph people is showing to separate the people who know about photography and those who don’t; much like people who aren’t interested in cars who think that people who modify cars are chavs when in fact it’s just a generalisation.

Last edited:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
So would you say 50mm is "what you see"? I have an 18-55 and a 70-300 and the gap is noticeable. But even setting my kit lens to 50mm and using manual focus, I find it a little augmented

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
If you look through the viewfinder at 50mm then take your eye away and then back again everything should look the same other than having a smaller field of view, the actual proportions and ‘size’ of everything as you see it with your eye is the same, it is by no means saying that you have a near 180 degree field of view like you eyes do.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Mine seems to be "in view" more at about 18....... saying that, I am blind as f**k.

All said and done, you've got a cracking eye for a shot, and you should be proud of yourself lad.

Fair play kiddo, didn't realise you were only 15. You've got skills.

Love 4 and 5. The square crop on 6 works really well, too.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
By saying a 50 is what you see it means that the focal length is what your eye is, so if you got the viewfinder next to what you actually see it should appear as a continuation of what you see normally just with a black box around it, the way everything is in terms of size and your perspective should be exactly the same.

Cheers, I’m glad that we’ve established that I’m not some raging pervert who goes round taking photos of random people sleeping lol, so in some ways I’ve educated some of the naive entrants to the photography section :p

Fair play kiddo, didn't realise you were only 15. You've got skills.

Love 4 and 5. The square crop on 6 works really well, too.

Haha cheers, I always think that the 97 in my name makes it obvious to people, well it seems not :p

It seems that No.6 has split opinion, it’ll stay like that because it as my vote in the square format too lol

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
By saying a 50 is what you see it means that the focal length is what your eye is, so if you got the viewfinder next to what you actually see it should appear as a continuation of what you see normally just with a black box around it, the way everything is in terms of size and your perspective should be exactly the same.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, now I get you. But being an old giffer, mine is more like 53/54mm. But now I see where you are coming from.

I’m glad that we’ve established that I’m not some raging pervert who goes round taking photos of random people sleeping

Errrrr.............. I never said that :rasp:

I always think that the 97 in my name makes it obvious to people, well it seems not :p

I read it as 197. Given the nature of the site, please forgive my old eyes, ha ha

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Ahhhhhhhhhh, now I get you. But being an old giffer, mine is more like 53/54mm. But now I see where you are coming from.

Errrrr.............. I never said that :rasp:

I read it as 197. Given the nature of the site, please forgive my old eyes, ha ha

Haha, I paraphrased your first post with some slight exaggeration ;)

And ahh I see, that seems logical I suppose.

Really like these shots, Niall.
Good ideas and some really nice editing too.
I knew you were young, but didn't realise you were 15!
You really know your way around a camera.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks, Ben :)
Yeah that one always seems to surprise people on here and TP :p It means that GCSE photography is an absolute doddle lol

15 bloody hell. Looks like you've got your head screwed on which is a lot better than most 15yr olds.

It's nice to see someone follow their dream so to speak, good luck with it as your pretty talented with it.