ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

manifold bolt snapped in cylinder head

Clio 182, CBR600RR
I have been stripping down my vfr400 over the weekend 4 a bit of tlc b4 summer. Was taking the exhaust off an one of the bolts sheared off an its stuck in the cylinder head. There is about 5mm still stickin out so im gona leave it in soak in wd40 overnight an gona give it a try with the moles 2 mora. If this dont work what do ppl suggest im a bit worried about using an easy out, as if that snaps then drilling it out will b a nightmare! Im not sure if grinding it off level an then drilling it out might b easier? Its just with it being on the cylinder head..... Drilled an re tapped a few threads b4 but never on an engine lol Also didnt think usin heat to try an free it would b a good idea?? What do u think?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Lol this happened to me. My bolt snapped off inside the hole, so I couldn't get anything round it. I ended up drilling a hole down the centre and using a stud extractor. Except the stud extractor snapped, so I then had to drill that out along with the rest of the stud, which took blummin' ages. Once it was out I tapped a new thread and put a new bolt in.

Howeverrrr.. when I drilled out the old stud I drilled too far and I got coolant leaking through the stud, so be careful how far you drill. (I fixed the coolant leak with loctite).

Clio 182, CBR600RR
This is why i was thinkin i might just b beta drilling it out instead of using an easy out..... Lol an yeh thats the other thing i was worried about drilling too deep or not totally square.... Hmmm im prayin its gona come out after the overnight soaking! Begining 2 wish i had left it all on as i only took it off 2 clean it hahaha!

The ones i use look like this

31Jv5B2KpLL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

If you can get enough grip, they are better than mole grips as they tighten as you turn aswell

ITB'd MK1
if it's apart, i'd take it to an engine repairer/reconditioner. The engineers i use have bike parts in all the time with broken studs for extraction, they do so many that it's false economy to not use them for their experience. IMO you're more likely to cause damage and extra cost, bike engine castings are quite delicate in comparison to car engines.

172 Ph1
if it's apart, i'd take it to an engine repairer/reconditioner. The engineers i use have bike parts in all the time with broken studs for extraction, they do so many that it's false economy to not use them for their experience. IMO you're more likely to cause damage and extra cost, bike engine castings are quite delicate in comparison to car engines.

Oh so very true.

Clio 182, CBR600RR

Thats what im worried about i know there aint gona b much material 2 drill into, i wasnt planning on taking the engine out though to be honest im just giving it a fairly good detail, after all its a faired bike so most bits im cleanin will never be seen lol Although that might have 2 change if i cant get this stud out! Cant b that much more work now though 2 take it out tbh its just having some way of supporting the frame better lol

clio 172
spot weld a bolt to the 5mm weld a nut to the bolt undo, admire ur handy work. wouldn't bother drilling just encase u f**k up. hope this helps

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
not used it myself but apparently can get a freezing liquid that works really well on exhaust studs.

Clio 182, CBR600RR
yeh thanks guys gona try spot weldin a nut on 2mora..... An that freezin stuff works sometimes but i put that on b4 attemptin 2 undo them but suppose it cant work everytime lol gona try a small amount of heat as well an see how it goes!