ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

manifold/cat joint (again!!!)

182 Trophy
I posted a while ago (about october time) regarding an annoying whistling noise but only above 3k rpm, which turned out to be the exhaust manifold/cat joint. The sealing ring had slightly perished causing an air leak. I Replaced that & all was sorted.

Recently this noise has starting to come back & is progressively getting worse. Im sure it cannot be the sealing ring again, so I was wondering if it was anything to do with the spring bolts that could be causing the problem. Any ideas?

could the flange on the cat be slightly bent/distorted as its still doing the same? or as danny says above^^^^^

iirc exhaust paste between the manifold and cat is a no no. something like if some gets into your cat it will f**k it up. correct me if iam wrong

182 Trophy
Unfortunately for me the noise has started to come back again!!! I bought a genuine Renault cat/mani joint kit & had a decent local garage fit this, which solved the problem. Now 6 months later the noise is back.

Question1 - Can the sealing ring have perished at all in 6 months?

Question 2 - Do I need to tighten the spring bolts (if so, do they normally work themselves loose?)

Question 3 - Is there anything else that could be causing the problem?

Thanks

Nissan 350z
Mikeyw, do you have an aftermarket exhaust fitted to your car as well? The weight will be putting additional strain on this if the rest of your exhaust mounts arent up to it. I had this problem with a Ktec system killing my joint too as the other mounts distorted and werent supporting it.

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
iirc exhaust paste between the manifold and cat is a no no. something like if some gets into your cat it will f**k it up. correct me if iam wrong

you are correct. shouldnt be any sealer or anything before the cat, even the manifold to head gasket. I found out the hard way lol.

my bolts kept working their way loose. i ended up putting normal nuts on then nyloc's on top of them. never had any problems again. mounts can cause strain on it aswell like sargara said.

Clio RS 182
Mikeyw, do you have an aftermarket exhaust fitted to your car as well? The weight will be putting additional strain on this if the rest of your exhaust mounts arent up to it. I had this problem with a Ktec system killing my joint too as the other mounts distorted and werent supporting it.

Aftermarket Exhausts are infact alot lighter than the OEM so that can't be right surely?

Black Gold Trophy
It's a common thing with these cars.
Exhaust paste is not advisable as said before it will damage the cat!

I've found that the cat may need repositioning in order to get a tight seal.