ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Manifold to Cat front exhaust clamp, replacing....tips???

Clio 182
Hi guys

my 182 recently had a funny little rattle under certain revs, upon investigation one of the springy bolts off the manifold to cat had sheared, I bought some more with a gasket as well but how easy are they to replace? Can I just replace one? Bear in mind its bloody hard to get under there even when lifted with a jack.....

So basically any tips to replace the one sheared bolt......

Steve

clio 182FF
Being a 182 you should be able to jack the car up and replace this easy enough. I changed the whole gasket kit and have fiddled about many times taking the cat off and adjusting bits under there. It's obviously a little cramped but should be easy enough. Wait to see what others say but I'm sure most people just jack there cars up to do this job.

Are you sure this was the rattle? I'm a little confused how it rattles if it has sheared off. Have you also checked the heat shielding nearer the back of the car? Mine was loose and needed to be screwed back up which stopped a rattle at a certain rpm. The other strange noise was a blowing cat to manifold gasket hence why I changed this!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Did you buy genuine ones as pattern part ones always seem to rattle even if brand new..

Clio 182
Hi guys

I bought a pattern one... Going to replace it tonight so will let you know... The rattle was because the bolt had sheared but was hanging on at the back if that makes sense...

Steve

Clio 182
Ok guys heres an update...... So took the one sheared bolt out and thought I would just change that one..... I take it that bolt goes in big spacer between manifold and exhaust with tapered end for bolt to go into. Spring thin washer bolt right????

Well when I started tightening it it pulled through the manifold, great...... Then had to undo other side and take manifold off to get bolt out... Then I wrecked the gasket... Put new one on but bloody knightmare... Bolts all though after market dont seem long enough and no one pulls through the manifold bit, is this common....

Can someone just let me know correct sequence for bolts washers springs etc???

Going to buy a genuine Renault one and put that on on weekend... Shouldnt take long when I know what goes where and how....

Thanks guys

Steve

Clio 182
Brilliant mate thank you.... The after market kit is crap quality so ordered OEM one..... I think the old cup may be rusted into the manifold hence why I thought the bolt just sits in there then when cup was on bolts werent long enough.... Will sort it at the weekend, cheers.

Steve

clio 182FF
Yeh I had same problem. The manifold should not look corroded or anything. And should not be a complete "o" shape for the bolts if you get me. It actually has both sides open and the cups fit in which holds the bolt in place. Hope you get that?

if your cups are still in there which they may be by the sounds of thins I found the best way to get them out was a flathead screwdriver on the side of the and hit it with a hammer until it just collapses in making them fall out. I started by trying to hit them out properly but being corroded it wasn't happening...

Clio 182
Great help.... thank you will jack her up on Sunday again and re do with new bolts, its not blowing at moment and it has a new gasket so will just do the bolts and cups.

Steve