ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's 2017 Ford Focus RS

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Great updates Mark. Looked like a lot of fun on track.
According to the table in the video, on the drepreciation, would that put your assumed residual value at c.£24k?

That's what WBAC have offered me. I revalue it every couple of weeks out of curiosity and to see if what they offer is in any way consistent.

It does seem to be so far. From when I started doing it at 14k miles and I'm now a couple of months further on with 17k miles I've seen they price they've offered increase by almost £1k!

That might be due to them no longer being in production, it might be the prices firming up and recovering a little from previous oversupply, or it might just be WBAC's dodgy algorithms trying to screw me for a low price at the beginning and then now offering me something more realistic!

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
That's what WBAC have offered me. I revalue it every couple of weeks out of curiosity and to see if what they offer is in any way consistent.

It does seem to be so far. From when I started doing it at 14k miles and I'm now a couple of months further on with 17k miles I've seen they price they've offered increase by almost £1k!

That might be due to them no longer being in production, it might be the prices firming up and recovering a little from previous oversupply, or it might just be WBAC's dodgy algorithms trying to screw me for a low price at the beginning and then now offering me something more realistic!
Was going to say, I think that's about right. Appreciate I sold mine a while back but for the spec and miles, that's about the same level (price adjusted). The values are certainly firming up though. Shame I had to sell :(

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
^ I have been looking on the RS forum and a few were selling them blaming the steering problem, any idea how many say they have the problem.I must say if I were in the position to afford one this and the head gasket are very off putting.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Here's a (for me) quick one on something that I'm very sceptical of...more than a few owners have claimed it to be so bad that they've sold their RS as they considered it dangerous and undriveable.

Is it possible that in classic RS style these owners are driving with their left hand at the 2oclock position like a real piece of s**t and then they're surprised that a little bit of torque steer feels violent?

awww_nairaland_com_attachments_886768_thug20lean_jpgbb8929f79d4ad8c9d028ca8b5d0f52d7_-jpg.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Is it possible that in classic RS style these owners are driving with their left hand at the 2oclock position like a real piece of s**t and then they're surprised that a little bit of torque steer feels violent?

I wouldn't be surprised. I think people expect to be able to drive with fingertips and not have any kickback from the wheel at all. I wonder how they'd cope with something like this;

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

This is kind of what I think but knowing how the RS's RDU works there could be more to it than that...

In a straight line, hooked up and with no traction event the RS is FWD. A traction event up front, or asking for power when cornering shuffles power to the rear and it's juggled left and right by the RDU.

It initially surfaced from people saying it happened when overtaking...my thoughts were that a very sudden steering movement when moving out could cause the car to put power to the back left wheel (because it thinks you've just turned hard into a corner) which would cause a further push to the right...then with an overly abrupt correction back to the left, coupled with the 2 turns lock-to-lock quick and sensitive steering, could then get power to the back right...repeat ad infinitum.

I've never had it so as said, I'm very sceptical...but there could be some merit to it if you're either an arm on the window two finger type of guy, or if you like doing the last minute sharp swerve out to make a point overtake stylee.

Loads of people have missed the point on my video, lots claiming their Fiestas and Focus STs do it. No chaps, that's good old fashioned torque steer.

I've a couple of offers so far from RS people who claim it does it in a straight line...I intend to meet up with one of them to see if I can replicate it.

Also, I'm driving an M400 FRS tomorrow which has a front LSD and dynamic suspension controller fitted (makes the damping switch from soft to hard in 0.04s independantly at each corner based on all the vehicle sensors and driver inputs) so it has real time active suspension. I'll be trying my hardest to get that to do it as well!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
They're getting longer...we had a lot to cover in this one, Mountune M400, front LSD, real-time damping controller, short shifter, braided lines, blah blah blah etc.

I'm tempted by the DSC controller...which goes against my 'keep it standard all its life' promise to myself. Annoying.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
This is kind of what I think but knowing how the RS's RDU works there could be more to it than that...

In a straight line, hooked up and with no traction event the RS is FWD. A traction event up front, or asking for power when cornering shuffles power to the rear and it's juggled left and right by the RDU.

It initially surfaced from people saying it happened when overtaking...my thoughts were that a very sudden steering movement when moving out could cause the car to put power to the back left wheel (because it thinks you've just turned hard into a corner) which would cause a further push to the right...then with an overly abrupt correction back to the left, coupled with the 2 turns lock-to-lock quick and sensitive steering, could then get power to the back right...repeat ad infinitum.

I've never had it so as said, I'm very sceptical...but there could be some merit to it if you're either an arm on the window two finger type of guy, or if you like doing the last minute sharp swerve out to make a point overtake stylee.

Loads of people have missed the point on my video, lots claiming their Fiestas and Focus STs do it. No chaps, that's good old fashioned torque steer.

I've a couple of offers so far from RS people who claim it does it in a straight line...I intend to meet up with one of them to see if I can replicate it.

Also, I'm driving an M400 FRS tomorrow which has a front LSD and dynamic suspension controller fitted (makes the damping switch from soft to hard in 0.04s independantly at each corner based on all the vehicle sensors and driver inputs) so it has real time active suspension. I'll be trying my hardest to get that to do it as well!
I had it happen once on a straight road! The car veered off to the right quite sharply when I accelerated. It wasn’t torque steer, it was far too violent an action for that. Never happened again though (I drove that road daily). Just felt like the car was juggling the power and got caught out. Appreciate it doesn’t help or isn’t true evidence but thought I would add my 2 pence.

Edit: just to add, the road was far from smooth and is quite bumpy.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I had it happen once on a straight road! The car veered off to the right quite sharply when I accelerated. It wasn’t torque steer, it was far too violent an action for that. Never happened again though (I drove that road daily). Just felt like the car was juggling the power and got caught out. Appreciate it doesn’t help or isn’t true evidence but thought I would add my 2 pence.

Edit: just to add, the road was far from smooth and is quite bumpy.

Fingers are crossed that when I hook up with someone who says their's is a nightmare with the problem, I can replicate it and catch it on camera.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Fingers are crossed that when I hook up with someone who says their's is a nightmare with the problem, I can replicate it and catch it on camera.
When it happened I was not particularly delicate with the accelerator. It could be a few factors manifesting itself and a large factor could be the driver? Who knows. Would be interesting to see if you can replicate and equally so if you can’t!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
In other news, rain stopped me getting any external driveby exhaust footage of the M400...but I did grab this after I'd finished getting all the static shots.

No matter how much I like this I just can't do it to my car...I grew tired of the exhaust on my MR230 Fiesta ST pretty quickly and this is a whole load worse!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
When it happened I was not particularly delicate with the accelerator. It could be a few factors manifesting itself and a large factor could be the driver? Who knows. Would be interesting to see if you can replicate and equally so if you can’t!

This is the key thing...I can say for certain mine has never done it...so if when I drive their car I can't get it to do it, and they can, it boils down to one factor only...

BMW M4; S1000 RR
In other news, rain stopped me getting any external driveby exhaust footage of the M400...but I did grab this after I'd finished getting all the static shots.

No matter how much I like this I just can't do it to my car...I grew tired of the exhaust on my MR230 Fiesta ST pretty quickly and this is a whole load worse!

You want switchable for sure!

I think the Scorpion box has a setup that either goes through the back box or straight through depending on the flap.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Heading along A29 heading towards Pulborough. At a guess then I’d say Audi at Five Oaks.

RS3?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Shame it's had to go back. I'd love to drive a Focus but I think you're making the right decision. What deal did they offer in the end for the rejection?

I'm still voting for an Impreza with DCCD. I know it won't be, but I can still dream.