ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's BMW M140i

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
BMW's gone, yesterday lunchtime. Contacted directly by someone who saw my last video, I spent a week sending pictures, video, and a few hours on the phone, before he drove all the way from Liverpool, arrived within 10 minutes of the agreed time, and then after much chatting paid the agreed price. Lovely chap. Banker. 21 years old LOL Definitely not one for the time wasters thread.

He got a deal, and I'm £1k up on my trade-in position.

Missing it already though. Gave its legs a good stretch on Saturday. Its replacement is gonna feel slow, I can't wait to wring it's neck! Dealer has confirmed collection on Wednesday.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Oh, @McGherkin , I've shopped around and got the year's insurance fully comp down to £101.

:ROFLMAO:
f**k off with your grandad spec insurance :p

TBH I'd happily buy a car based on the fact that most of its history is plain to see on the internets. That's why I bought that black cab with 'FakeTaxi' on the side, although admittedly the seats smelt of prawns so clearly someone spilt their sandwich in it.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
£354 with BMW Insurance.

The silly cheap Cayman prices area coming back through comparison sites, top 3 are all around that level. It's with Aviva too!

That's good to know, I pay less than that on my bmw, but it is older so makes sense. Interesting that the Porsche is so much less, bodes well for my future car choices 😂 .

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That's good to know, I pay less than that on my bmw, but it is older so makes sense. Interesting that the Porsche is so much less, bodes well for my future car choices 😂 .

I think it'll be beacuse of the claims history on the lowly underpowered 2.7. Dipping a toe into the online Cayman community does show an awful lot that appear to have bought on the basis of being able to say they've got/owned a Porsche...not for actual driving. So I doubt many have been wrapped around trees.

Regardless, I'm happy. More than offests the VED increase of £100 or so.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I think it'll be beacuse of the claims history on the lowly underpowered 2.7. Dipping a toe into the online Cayman community does show an awful lot that appear to have bought on the basis of being able to say they've got/owned a Porsche...not for actual driving. So I doubt many have been wrapped around trees.

Regardless, I'm happy. More than offests the VED increase of £100 or so.

Tbh I've been looking at either a 997 or a 981. 997 issues scare me, especially as I'd be buying private or from a small dealer, if I went 981 I'd have to get the 2.7 too I think (I'd buy Porsche approved used) but I think I'd be happy with that still.

I'm hoping to test drive some in the new year, the scariest thing about Porsches is the cost if they break down, so I think I'm willing to sacrifice on engine/spec for warranty.

997.1, Caddy, e208
My first 3 of 4 years of 987 ownership:

IMG_20201215_111833_109.jpg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Insurance on my R with the wife on it is still only £350pa, im 37 with 20 years driving experience and full NCB.
Cost to run on the R is servicing every 24months alternating minor/major and at RPM Technik come in at around £400/£800 respectively.
Discs and pads on mine are Girodisc and Pagid RS29, so around £600 discs/£250 pads per axle.
Tyres are the ones that hurt with the Cup 2 coming in around £985 per set fitted.

Fixed price servicing from RPMT here for those interested: https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/servicing/

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
My first 3 of 4 years of 987 ownership:

View attachment 1510753

Why have you got capital and depreciation as costs? If the car was bought for £8,928 and sold for £4,928, its depreciated £4k.
The only capital expenditure is the interest lost on said money whilst it was invested in the car surely? I feel like you've doubled your cost of ownership there,

My 981 by comparison:

Depreciation £8,000 (bought for £36k, sold for £28k)
Servicing £410 (oil change, brake fluid change)
Insurance £900 (3 years with Admiral, less than half the e90 M3 cost per annum)
Tax £945
TOTAL £10,255
/ 35 Months = £293 per month
/ 7000 miles = £1.47 per mile

@jenic personally, i wouldnt bother with Porsche approved, or their warranty on a 981. You are looking at a circa £4k premium to buy from them in the first place, not worth it, plus nothing went wrong with mine at all, most reliable car ive owned by a long shot. I had Cridfords warranty for 12 months, but didnt need to use it. Id buy one from Ashgoods if i bought again, thats who bought my old one. Very good pricing and decent chaps by all accounts

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
@jenic personally, i wouldnt bother with Porsche approved, or their warranty on a 981. You are looking at a circa £4k premium to buy from them in the first place, not worth it, plus nothing went wrong with mine at all, most reliable car ive owned by a long shot. I had Cridfords warranty for 12 months, but didnt need to use it. Id buy one from Ashgoods if i bought again, thats who bought my old one. Very good pricing and decent chaps by all accounts

What model did you have? Your depreciation is so low, it does make me wonder if I should go 718 (might be in budget if I didn't go approve) as it would depreciate less. Not so sure about the 4 pot though.

Edit: just saw you only did 7k in it, yeh, I'll be doing that a year probably. Still low by most people's standards but one trip to Europe a year is 3k.

Last edited:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Id argue that the 718 is still depreciating, wheras the 981 has been out a while, is arguably the far better car and has already plateaued depreciation wise, if not risen a little on this time last year. Mine was a 981S manual with all the right options, inc. the very rare LSD. I could have lessened the depreciation even further by selling privately, but Ashgoods offer was only £2k less than they sold it for retail, so very good deal for me imho. Annoyingly the chap that bought it from them after a day had been wasting my time for 2 months, hence me getting fed up and selling to trade, but c'est la vie ...

Mine detailed here: https://cliosport.net/threads/981-boxster-s-my-first-porsche.800283/

48710529542_0f3f717bfa_c-jpg.jpg

Sorry for the spam @MarkCup

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Id argue that the 718 is still depreciating, wheras the 981 has been out a while, is arguably the far better car and has already plateaued depreciation wise, if not risen a little on this time last year. Mine was a 981S manual with all the right options, inc. the very rare LSD. I could have lessened the depreciation even further by selling privately, but Ashgoods offer was only £2k less than they sold it for retail, so very good deal for me imho. Annoyingly the chap that bought it from them after a day had been wasting my time for 2 months, hence me getting fed up and selling to trade, but c'est la vie ...

Mine detailed here: https://cliosport.net/threads/981-boxster-s-my-first-porsche.800283/

View attachment 1510757

Sorry for the spam @MarkCup

Now THAT'S a Porsche 😎

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Tbh I've been looking at either a 997 or a 981. 997 issues scare me, especially as I'd be buying private or from a small dealer,

Don't be such a fairy, everyone talks up the IMS bearing issue but the engine was pretty widely produced so actual failures are not all that high.

Plus you can save up and get the updated bearing fitted for piece of mind.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
That's it, BMW forgotten already...

Such a drama llama

😆

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Turns out the guy in Liverpool I sold this to, subsequently sold it to a bloke that works at my local BMW dealer, and I followed it home tonight.

It looks terrible.

Badly positioned and aligned black ///M140i badge, eBay's finest with tragically faded M stripes to the point one was almost black. Stick on aero tat all around the skirt. Black wheels.

I wonder if he even knows it has a diff? Certainly didn't want to play. 🤣

Last edited: