ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's BMW M140i

They’re 100% not a track car. If you actually were going to spend some money making a track car then I’d definitely opt for a boggo spec 135 over any of the hatches you mention above.

Stripped out, coil overs and upgraded brakes and it would be an utter weapon. Proper wheel drive which the others don’t have, if you care about such things.
Whichever would need to be compliant on the road to travel up and down the motorway for work. Defo want a hot RWD motor for track days but I just don't think the M lite is not up to it without spending ££££'s on diffs, suspension, bracing etc, E36 328i maybe at some point.... All 3 FWD options are good to go from factory and just need tyres and pads for track but I'm defo leaning towards a Cupra 280 DSG as they really firm up in sport unlike the BM so no trick suspension needed and they come with the VAQ diff as standard plus I already have a few sets of wheels and track tyres from the Skoda that would fit. Plus on the motorway in comfort coupled with the DSG this would make my commute much more relaxing compared to the FK2 or 250/265.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
One of the above plus a caterham then. If you do many track days then you’ll probably end up saving money (reduces cost of consumables/fuel/maintenance/better residuals)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So it isn't great on track as standard.

IMHO, they arent particularly great on the road as standard lol.

The problem with the MLites is very much what you are coming from.

If you are coming from a "normal car" or 120d, 320d or 520d, it'll feel brilliant, lovely engine noise, rocket like speed, comfy cabin, similar ride & handling etc.

On the flipside, if you've had something a bit more hardcore, RenaultSports, Mini's or Proper M's, it'll feel like a boat/barge/ocean going liner, whatever ship reference you prefer to use to describe cars that are all engine and no handling finesse. They are soo underwhelming handling wise as standard; i mean, hell, im tighter than a ducks ar5ehole and i PAID Leaseplan to come and take mine away :unsure:

I totally get what you mean about the boat reference. I guess I’ve always quite liked that about normal BMWs. You can lean on them a lot more than you think and I just love the entertainment factor you get passing people in performance machinery piloting a regular BMW.

This. Once you get past the roll, they come alive (to a point), hence why you can have epic fun even in something like a 320d on a wet road in November.

The way it dives and squirms under braking really made me pucker just watching it! I'm surprised tbh.

It did get a bit wiggly didnt it!! Mine did that on the road a couple of times, which was umm, interesting :ROFLMAO:

It seems the M135/40 just aren't built for track out the box, which is a shame as I really did fancy one. Meg 250/265, Cupra 280/290 or FK2 Type R for me next....

As said above, if you think of it as a very quick 120d, you'll be happy.

If you want it to handle well, or do trackdays in it, you HAVE to fit Bilsteins/Eibachs (i wouldnt bother with the Birds Unicorn serum tax personally), M4 LCA's and an LSD. The steering will still be woefully bad, but itll be better at least. At that point, you will still be having HUGE amounts of fun/learning new things all the time like @MarkCup clearly was in the video, but it'll all be a little more controllable and predictable. Or just buy an e90 M3 and spend less on mods and more on fuel.

If you just want to go fast out of the box, with no discernable skill required to go fast, just buy another FWD (y)

@MarkCup I'm doing Goodwood in May in the 335i, so ill video it and we can see the differences ...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Yeah I best stick with FWD to match my skill level then. I'll leave RWD to the elite drivers of this world!

lol, i think we both know what i was getting at!

You, like me, are incapable of leaving anything standard, so dismissing the MLite because its a turd as standard is a bit odd :unsure:

Especially considering your current Octavia VRS is boring out the factory, then better when tinkered with, as you've found out (y)

It has the potential to be a very good car, its just VERY sanitized/watered-down from the factory, there are "proper" M cars for that market remember.

lol, i think we both know what i was getting at!

You, like me, are incapable of leaving anything standard, so dismissing the MLite because its a turd as standard is a bit odd :unsure:

Especially considering your current Octavia VRS is boring out the factory, then better when tinkered with, as you've found out (y)

It has the potential to be a very good car, its just VERY sanitized/watered-down from the factory, there are "proper" M cars for that market remember.
I'm dismissing the Mlite as in all honesty I don't have the funds to modify it to how I know I'd want it, diff, adjustable suspension, M4 LCA, bracing, roll bars, spare wheels with track tyres, spare track pads etc. Marks's video was exactly what I needed to know its not for me as standard. If I did have the funds then hell yeah, but then as you say I'd just be better purchasing a real m car like an e92 m3 or m2 and just have a spare set of wheels/tyres and brake pads.(y)

So with that I just cant afford a decent RWD daily/track car....yet :(

Gearing is soooooo long. Looked like you got used to it by S3 though. Diff will defo help but you'll need to get all the aids off to make the most of it.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
M140i is a mega car fot the money. I had a go in my mates the other night, mapped to 458hp & quaife lsd apart from that stock. Hes had it since new and in 20k all it has needed is tyres and service. Was very impressed with the performance, im considering flogging a couple of cars and getting one myself.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like good fun Mark.

Oh it was, a huge amount. Not as precise as the RS but just as willing to move about and it hauls ass down the straights!

Gearing is soooooo long. Looked like you got used to it by S3 though. Diff will defo help but you'll need to get all the aids off to make the most of it.

3rd and 4th are quite long but 5th is really short...I think that's part of the reason it reaches a much higher speed down the straights than the RS...it can really get going once you're in 5th whereas the RS was dropped back to the more normal revs after a shift.

M140i is a mega car fot the money. I had a go in my mates the other night, mapped to 458hp & quaife lsd apart from that stock. Hes had it since new and in 20k all it has needed is tyres and service. Was very impressed with the performance, im considering flogging a couple of cars and getting one myself.

They are a performance bargain...if tuning is your thing the B58 has so much headroom. Apart from my diff the only thing I might do is a Litchfield remap...no hardware and an easy and safe 425 bhp and 435 lbsft!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Nice Mark, loving mine for what it is, a fast and fun road car with a subtle appearance and amazing soundtrack :) I did recently add a JB+ to increase the boost by 3psi, feels silly fast for the road now compared to what I’m used to.

Last edited:
  Toureg vW Transporte
Nice Mark, loving mine for what it is, a fast and fun road car with a subtle appearance and amazing soundtrack :) I did recently add a JB+ to increase the boost by 3psi, feels silly fast for the road now compared to what I’m used to.
How much was the jb? Does it feel like a massive difference? Is it a plug and go? Sounds fun

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Session 5 is much better mark!! I feel like you were progressing through each session and learning that the car needs to have its neck wringed to get the best out of it. I understand the wallowy boat remarks but at the same time
It doesn’t exactly move about does it.

It’ll be interesting to see the difference the locking diff makes.
I think with DSC fully off you’ve shown how well it all works out the box. Shame the session had to come to an end earlier than expected

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
How much was the jb? Does it feel like a massive difference? Is it a plug and go? Sounds fun

£185 posted, yes it feels a lot quicker and it takes about 5 minutes to fit. I didn’t really want any extra from the car and I wasn’t planning in a proper remap for £500 and im not going to change the exhaust or intake etc so didn’t need a JB4 or equivalent so for £185 to me it seemed like a no brainer. I was sceptical about it at first but after reading about them on babybmw and other various sites I was happy that for my use it shouldn’t cause me any issues going forward, it certainly pulls very hard now when I want it to.

Loving Session 5 Mark, good videos these, enjoyed them.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Here's a rundown of Goodwood with some side by side lap analysis...the 140 got a lot closer to the RS than I thought it would, mostly because in a straight line it absolutely destroys the Ford :ROFLMAO:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
All the whinging about soggy suspension people do, and the price of a comfortable car was only 1.5 seconds.

Exactly! It would be even less on the same tyres, with a clean track, and had I had a few more sessions in it...that would be a true test v the RS and I think it's every bit as quick.

As it turns out, a technical issue means I've not managed ot get my LSD fitted yet, and my planned brake fluid change to ATE typ200 ended up with the dealer putting their standard stuff in instead. Useless tw*ts.

So I'm back at Goodwood on Friday, in a standard car again with a mission to at least match the RS time.

Latest vlog...

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
From trying a few I'd just sell the fluid on and get some RBF600 for it instead.

The typ200 couldn't stand up as well to heat nearly as well and I imagine that's something your car will generate a lot of!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The brakes held up just fine at Goodwood in the end although I've now got ATE Typ200 fluid in it.

The first couple of sessions were a bit, meh, but in this one I really started leaning on it but as a 1 series, not as a Focus. It delivered.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I don't want you to take this the wrong way Mark, and I know you've been told this before... But you need to stop comparing it to the focus. I know it's your benchmark and the last car you had etc... But the 140 is a different beast. Appreciate its engine and its RWD nature. Its never going to be as focused as the RS was. If you want that then you will have to creep up the M Ladder toward the M2 etc.

I live the 135 /140's though.
I will own one soon hopefully.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I don't want you to take this the wrong way Mark, and I know you've been told this before... But you need to stop comparing it to the focus. I know it's your benchmark and the last car you had etc... But the 140 is a different beast. Appreciate its engine and its RWD nature. Its never going to be as focused as the RS was. If you want that then you will have to creep up the M Ladder toward the M2 etc.

I live the 135 /140's though.
I will own one soon hopefully.

All criticism is welcome (y)

After the lap time comparison that'll follow the final session from this day then I'll be done. Honsetly, a big part of the reason for it is that it keeps poking the RS community and that generates views as they all pile in to leave the BMW crowd insults.

I do find it fascinating though in terms of how the two of them achieve as good as the same result while going about it in such different ways.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mark. Did you ever fit your LSD?

I’ve been reading up as I saw one on eBay second hand. Looks like the manual and auto LSDs are different part numbers. Only difference being the gearing as far as I can tell which causes issues with the esp.

Just interested to hear first hand if that’s true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mark. Did you ever fit your LSD?

I’ve been reading up as I saw one on eBay second hand. Looks like the manual and auto LSDs are different part numbers. Only difference being the gearing as far as I can tell which causes issues with the esp.

Just interested to hear first hand if that’s true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet David, it'll be on soon though, I'm done with waiting!

As for the gearing, yeah they do differ between auto and manual.

The one going into my manual 140 is Jeff's from his auto 135, they share the same gearing. I don't know if the opposite is true though.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
There is sod all in it for 99% of living with either car.

The good thing is you've had both, that's a very nice position to have been in.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
There is sod all in it for 99% of living with either car.

The good thing is you've had both, that's a very nice position to have been in.

Exactly. On the road, how fast you can go is generally down to your idiocy/brave levels.

On track, the 140 finding that time was a genuine surprise though...I did a double take as I was chopping the laps up when editing and thought "hang on...no way!".

I thought it might have matched the RS, just, maybe.