ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's BMW M140i

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Do you ever do track days at entertaining circuits or just the flat boring ones?

Nope, just mostly airfield permiter borne circuits which is about all I have within easy reach on the South Coast. There's Brands Hatch of course, but meh, too small and congested as the Indy circuit, and I've never been even slightly drawn to running on the full circuit.

It may not look it but Goodwood has a surprising amount of elevation change...and it's challenging in so far as it's the only circuit that hasn't undergone improvements and modifications in the name of safety over the last 50 years.

It's fast, very fast, and there's next to f*** all run-off anywhere.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I must be odd. I've never thought any circuit I've driven on was dull. They all have their challenges. I'm obviously not enough of a driving god 😂

Who said it was anything about being a driving god, Im crap and still found aforementioned circuits boring.

Mark you want to try broadening your horizons, do what the rest of us do and travel a little, christ other than Oulton(40mim) everything is 2+ hours away. You'll be able to update your MPG graph.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
No track is dull.

Plus I find it entertaining watching Mark push some decent machinery around the track because he knows it so well. It catches loads of people out.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Unless you are in something super fast, & don't mind binning it, so are pushing super hard, Goodwood is pretty dull after a couple of goes tbh, I've told Mark this on numerous occasions :ROFLMAO:

Brands Hatch is shed loads better, if only for paddock hill bend :LOL::ROFLMAO::cool: then Brands is a bit average compared to say Donington or Cadwell. Goodwood is basically a bigger/posher version of Llandow ...

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Who said it was anything about being a driving god, Im crap and still found aforementioned circuits boring.

Mark you want to try broadening your horizons, do what the rest of us do and travel a little, christ other than Oulton(40mim) everything is 2+ hours away. You'll be able to update your MPG graph.

Try driving faster 😂 I've never found driving on the limit dull, regardless of where it is.

What's challenging about Bedford? There's nothing to hit and it has 23.5 miles of runoff [emoji23]

The guy that stuffed his GTR into a 720S last time I was there probably didn't think it was dull 😂

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Try driving faster [emoji23] I've never found driving on the limit dull, regardless of where it is.

The guy that stuffed his GTR into a 720S last time I was there probably didn't think it was dull [emoji23]
That's just being a spastic

Fair enough if you don't find the aforementioned circuits dull, But as soon as you do some decent milage anywhere or elsewhere with elevation changes you soon realise how boring a flat circuit is compared

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I admit when I did Donny it was much more fun than when I have done Llandow, Bedford or Blyton.

I'd say I enjoyed Llandow more than Bedford, that back straight at Bedford in a clio is certainly dull! 🤣
In a 140i I imagine it'll be over quite quick though

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
That's just being a spastic

Fair enough if you don't find the aforementioned circuits dull, But as soon as you do some decent milage anywhere or elsewhere with elevation changes you soon realise how boring a flat circuit is compared

Been to the 'ring so have experienced elevation change. Don't get me wrong, it adds another dimension, but I still enjoy the flat stuff. If I'm in a car, driving it at the limit, it's all good.

I admit when I did Donny it was much more fun than when I have done Llandow, Bedford or Blyton.

I'd say I enjoyed Llandow more than Bedford, that back straight at Bedford in a clio is certainly dull! 🤣
In a 140i I imagine it'll be over quite quick though

I'd quite like to try Bedford. I've only done it as a passenger. It was in my mate's Puma, so definitely underpowered, but it was fun hassling faster stuff in the bends 😎

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Yeah im sure I was on the day you took the scenic route at Pouhon [emoji38]

And that is why you should never run spacers on a track car. Lesson learnt, bought a new car 3 weeks later booked my next track day 11 months later.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
...as soon as you do some decent milage anywhere or elsewhere with elevation changes you soon realise how boring a flat circuit is compared

I'm completely with @massivewangers on this...and couldn't disagree more.

To me a circuit is just a playground to explore my car. I like trying to nail a perfect lap, every entrance, every exit, tip-toeing up to the edge of what's available without stepping too far over the line. That never gets dull.

I've done many other circuits many times back in my Clio 172 Cup, I had a mission to chalk off as many as I could...and then I realised, it doesn't matter where I'm doing what I enjoy doing, just that I'm actually doing it.

Driving and learning. That's all it is for me...and the fact that I have Goodwood on my doorstep to learn on is a bonus.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
This is as far as I got...admittedly not very far!

I did also have an Oulton Park day booked once, but having driven the entire way there the evening before, in terrible snowy and icy conditions, I got to the circuit the next morning and it was closed and the day had been cancelled. They emailed everyone about the cancellation the day before but didn't call...and this was before email was available on mobiles.

That kind of convinced me to stay close to home.

2600679183_86f23ca57b_b.jpg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Brands is only two hours away, similar to Bedford distance wise isnt it? I’m hoping to do Brands Hatch in the summer.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Mark; have you had this remapped?

(I couldn't be bothered to read through the entire thread)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mark; have you had this remapped?

(I couldn't be bothered to read through the entire thread)

Nope.

I'm 50/50 on that...my warranty expires early in March so it's an option, and a cheap one at that, to easily have it putting out 425bhp + 435lbsft.

But I'm really not sure it needs it, I can't ever say I've not been able to scare myself silly in it!

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Nope.

I'm 50/50 on that...my warranty expires early in March so it's an option, and a cheap one at that, to easily have it putting out 425bhp + 435lbsft.

But I'm really not sure it needs it, I can't ever say I've not been able to scare myself silly in it!

If I was going to take it anywhere for mapping, I'd go down the Litchfield route.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If I was going to take it anywhere for mapping, I'd go down the Litchfield route.

That's exactly who I have in mind if I were to do it. Drive in, hand over £600, drive out in an identical car in ALL aspects except it'll pull harder than a Ferrari 360 and still return a fairly easy 30mpg.

That's mental.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
You won't regret a remap. Maybe consider a sports cat downpipe too. It made mine sound that bit more angry and exciting, even when wafting along in comfort.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
That's exactly who I have in mind if I were to do it. Drive in, hand over £600, drive out in an identical car in ALL aspects except it'll pull harder than a Ferrari 360 and still return a fairly easy 30mpg.

That's mental.

Do it.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You won't regret a remap. Maybe consider a sports cat downpipe too. It made mine sound that bit more angry and exciting, even when wafting along in comfort.

That doesn't appeal to me, I like that mine is as unassuming as a 114d both inside and out.

Plus, by leaving everything standard and not bothering with a remap I can insure with BMW, and they charge pennies. Also, my LSD is not viewed as a mod by them as it's a BMW supplied part.

#easylife

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That doesn't appeal to me, I like that mine is as unassuming as a 114d both inside and out.

Plus, by leaving everything standard and not bothering with a remap I can insure with BMW, and they charge pennies. Also, my LSD is not viewed as a mod by them as it's a BMW supplied part.

#easylife
We can always tell if ones been fitted with a jb4/other random plug and play box. What’s not so easy to tell is if they’ve been remapped. Some remaps are that obvious though, that the software picks it up and flags it on the system. Every brief test sends back vehicle information back to bmw too, so they’re always looking in that respect.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Cant you fit a plug and play box. Then remove it when you take it in for a service at bmw?