ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's BMW M140i

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Lol - well yeah assuming it gets a kicking!
You can do yeah. Loads of people do it. But it logs fault codes when things are unplugged.

That's just people being lazy and not unplugging the battery for it though. I know of an M5 that was replaced (BMW took the car and gave the person a brand new one) with a blown engine that was running decats/JB4. So I don't believe for a second it's as clear cut as BMW being able to tell everytime.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That's just people being lazy and not unplugging the battery for it though. I know of an M5 that was replaced (BMW took the car and gave the person a brand new one) with a blown engine that was running decats/JB4. So I don't believe for a second it's as clear cut as BMW being able to tell everytime.
No, it’s because they don’t allow it to fully go to sleep. No need to disconnect the battery.
What m5 was it out of interest? The engine failure is something I’ve seen. And when I brief test one and it flags it up on the screen, I’ll take a picture. 👍🏻

BMW M4; S1000 RR
No, it’s because they don’t allow it to fully go to sleep. No need to disconnect the battery.
What m5 was it out of interest? The engine failure is something I’ve seen. And when I brief test one and it flags it up on the screen, I’ll take a picture. 👍🏻

So it has a backup battery?

It was an F10.

You can understand my scepticism, either certain dealers are negligent when processing warranty claims or it's not as clear cut as "we can tell".

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So it has a backup battery?

It was an F10.

You can understand my scepticism, either certain dealers are negligent when processing warranty claims or it's not as clear cut as "we can tell".
No what I’m saying is the car stays ‘alive’ for around 15 minutes, so it’s still monitoring all the various ecu’s and sensors. Some go to sleep sooner than others, but if you wait 15 minutes, it will have gone to sleep. You’d have to leave the bonnet open and not open any doors though, as that will instantly wake the car up.

Yeah that’s not come as a surprise tbh that it was an f10. I’ve seen more of those engines fail than I’ve seen n47 chain failures believe it or not!

Well I can’t speak for other dealers, but bmw are generally very good with the way they look after customers - especially mpower customers.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
That doesn't appeal to me, I like that mine is as unassuming as a 114d both inside and out.

Plus, by leaving everything standard and not bothering with a remap I can insure with BMW, and they charge pennies. Also, my LSD is not viewed as a mod by them as it's a BMW supplied part.

#easylife

BMW insurance is pennies? REALLY???

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've now covered the same total mileage that I did in my RS in this thing, 19,300 miles, and I've not had one single hint of a thought about getting rid. I think that says a lot!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've now covered the same total mileage that I did in my RS in this thing, 19,300 miles, and I've not had one single hint of a thought about getting rid. I think that says a lot!

And with those gloves, I bet your steering wheel is still minty fresh!

Do love this thread Mark, keep it up. As soon as spring comes around I’ll 100% ride out and meet you on a morning run. Need to put some miles on the bike.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
And with those gloves, I bet your steering wheel is still minty fresh!

Do love this thread Mark, keep it up. As soon as spring comes around I’ll 100% ride out and meet you on a morning run. Need to put some miles on the bike.

Definitely Rob!

Someone's already commented on the video that my wheel looks minging, I should wear the gloves more often :ROFLMAO:

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
My argument then, as it is now, was how is it any different from people fitting race seats of 4 point harnesses to road cars?

You look like a prat regardless :LOL:
I would suggest it's less about how you look and more about the benefits of using/wearing/fitting such things on a road car.

Can't say I've ever come close to losing grip on my BMW's wheel or suffered any discomfort from spirited road driving.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I would suggest it's less about how you look and more about the benefits of using/wearing/fitting such things on a road car.

Can't say I've ever come close to losing grip on my BMW's wheel or suffered any discomfort from spirited road driving.

You've obviously never used a Lithuanian car wash before where they spray that shiney s**t all over your steering wheel and pedals

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I hate wearing racing gloves because you lose so much feel and grip on the wheel IMO, but....

My argument then, as it is now, was how is it any different from people fitting race seats of 4 point harnesses to road cars?

You look like a prat regardless :LOL:

I can’t argue against that. At all. There’s so many heroes who build full blown track cars to do one Combe Action Day session a year it’s unbelievable.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member

For me my hands get clammy so having gloves helps prevent the wheel get all nasty.

Yer you can clean it but doing it all the time would be annoying.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Decent video Mark. I know exactly what you mean regarding the feel not inspiring the driver that the car handles well when it actually does.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I feel the same when driving mine, it doesn't feel me with confidence plus there is a lot of money tied up I do not want to crash!! I would like to get it on an air field and go mad with it just to see how far is too far with little risk. There has been times when I have been surprised on what it can do. But it is so un-eventful - it is quiet, smooth and calm, as when I was in my old Ph1 I thought I was doing a million miles an hour when in reality it was 70. But now if I want a bit of a special drive I get in my E34, but that is a different matter!
Although what I think they do brilliantly is that it eats the miles up, it is a very good GT car, especially as mine is an auto (gutted as I missed out on ording a manual by weeks). I could drive it all day and not get bored of it. It is ok on fuel for the commute (I am getting about 27-30mpg on the 20mile round trip in traffic) but as soon as you do a long run it is very good for what it is.
What I also like about it is that it is subtle and looks like any other 1 series. Although another down side is that you get moron children trying to race you in their Corsas and Fiestas.
The only thing I don't like in mine are the seats. They are comfy and nothing really wrong with them, but I think it could have done with something like what the M2 has, like the single piece/bucket style seat. The new M135i has this and probably the only improvement the new one has.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I feel the same when driving mine, it doesn't feel me with confidence plus there is a lot of money tied up I do not want to crash!! I would like to get it on an air field and go mad with it just to see how far is too far with little risk. There has been times when I have been surprised on what it can do. But it is so un-eventful - it is quiet, smooth and calm, as when I was in my old Ph1 I thought I was doing a million miles an hour when in reality it was 70. But now if I want a bit of a special drive I get in my E34, but that is a different matter!
Although what I think they do brilliantly is that it eats the miles up, it is a very good GT car, especially as mine is an auto (gutted as I missed out on ording a manual by weeks). I could drive it all day and not get bored of it. It is ok on fuel for the commute (I am getting about 27-30mpg on the 20mile round trip in traffic) but as soon as you do a long run it is very good for what it is.
What I also like about it is that it is subtle and looks like any other 1 series. Although another down side is that you get moron children trying to race you in their Corsas and Fiestas.
The only thing I don't like in mine are the seats. They are comfy and nothing really wrong with them, but I think it could have done with something like what the M2 has, like the single piece/bucket style seat. The new M135i has this and probably the only improvement the new one has.

Yer the seats aren't the best...but like the car as a whole, they give the best of both worlds. They just look a bit plain. Shocking to think that they're fitted, albeit with embossed ///M logos, in the original N55 M2!

The 240 is a better handling car compared to the 140, but, the 140 can be fitted with the 240 springs which are a stiffer spring, but still retain the road compliance. It definitely improves them as we fitted some to a mates 140.

I didn't know this. I thought in just about all aspects the 2 was just a 1 with a different body.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
The 240 is a better handling car compared to the 140, but, the 140 can be fitted with the 240 springs which are a stiffer spring, but still retain the road compliance. It definitely improves them as we fitted some to a mates 140.

I thought the 140 spring was stiffer than the 240 because it has to be able to cope with five people and luggage?

I've fitted Motech Eibach springs toy 140 and the difference especially for the back is night and day over speedbumps.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I thought the 140 spring was stiffer than the 240 because it has to be able to cope with five people and luggage?

I've fitted Motech Eibach springs toy 140 and the difference especially for the back is night and day over speedbumps.
Nah 240 springs are definitely stiffer up front mate. Possibly the same poundage in the rear as a 140, but there was a noticeable improvement.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Amazing how much difference in sidewall flex there is, both 92Y XL?

Yep, both 92Y, and both XL.

As for grip levels, driving in this morning in the wet, I swear my car's just developed 4WD :ROFLMAO:

I know I said the Kumho's wet grip was bad, but I didn't realise just how bad. It was non-f***ing-existant!

These PS4s, wow. Just wow.

That's why they last so much longer...the rears just stick whereas on the Kumho's I'm sideways almost every time I'm on the throttle.

Reactions: MLB

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The difference in grip between a new set of PS4s and worn out ones is actually pretty big so that probably explains why you didn't notice the Kumhos weren't as good.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member

I’m really surprised with how good they are on fuel. Had mine 18 months. Through the summer driving it fast now and then I’m getting 28mpg. You’ve got to remember it’s a 3ltr engine. I used to get 25mpg out of a 2ltr Passat estate back in the day and it was boring as hell.

For the last month it’s been either raining or snowing up here. I’ve had the winter tyres on and stuck it on eco pro most of the time and getting 33+ mpg with a mix of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Honestly, after putting these on my TT, it totally transformed the car. Nothing else bar a tyre change was done and the difference really was night and day. Next performance car I buy will get another set of these on.