ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's BMW M140i

320d
Standard F30 330d to get those figures? Looking at getting mine done but didn't realise these figures are achievable off just a remap.

Yep mapped by Glen Wilding at GKR Performance. You know my brother Niall, if you drop him a message I’m happy to meet up if you have any questions or want a run out in the car.

320d
Ours is still in warranty so no plans yet but I have looked a fair bit - 310 seems a realistic figure although Darkside said they do benefit from an intercooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few tuners get 330 on a map. The guy who mapped mine is well respected amongst the BMW community so I’ve no reason to doubt the figures.

As I said it is identical to a stock M140i in terms of performance too so figures must be similar to the stock B58.

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I was surprised by the result, expected a greater margin!

Is the 330 more track bias then road bias?

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
A few tuners get 330 on a map. The guy who mapped mine is well respected amongst the BMW community so I’ve no reason to doubt the figures.

As I said it is identical to a stock M140i in terms of performance too so figures must be similar to the stock B58.

It’s how they achieve that though-

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
A question for you @MarkCup
How do you find your 140 is on tyres at goodwood? Tempted to do a track day but just had pilot sport 4 boots fitted all round. Not the ideal track tyre im told! Appreciate its all about how hard you are but as ive got limited track experience ill probably be going easy ish. If I booked a half day would it reasonable to expect them to last OK? Ta!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
And while discussing MPS4 on the m140i, what cold tyre pressure are you both running for road use?

I've just swapped my MPSS to MPS4 on the back (fronts already MPS4) and the garage has put 2.3 bar/33 psi in and it felt incredibly floaty at speed and under medium to heavy braking.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
And while discussing MPS4 on the m140i, what cold tyre pressure are you both running for road use?

I've just swapped my MPSS to MPS4 on the back (fronts already MPS4) and the garage has put 2.3 bar/33 psi in and it felt incredibly floaty at speed and under medium to heavy braking.
Its difficult for me to comment exactly as I havent ever run the car with MPSS. However. Big however. I totally get where you are coming from. The goodyears I had before had much stiffer sidewalls (great Mark Cup video on this topic I believe). When I first fitted the PS4 tyres I definitely noticed a bit more float. That being said, I welcomed this slight more float for more compliance on the road. In my humble opinion, this is kind of the price you pay when it comes to tyres. That being said, I am most definitely not the best person to comment on this topic as my experience with the m140 has been limited as I bought it just before lockdown. Hope this helps somewhat 🤞

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
A question for you @MarkCup
How do you find your 140 is on tyres at goodwood? Tempted to do a track day but just had pilot sport 4 boots fitted all round. Not the ideal track tyre im told! Appreciate its all about how hard you are but as ive got limited track experience ill probably be going easy ish. If I booked a half day would it reasonable to expect them to last OK? Ta!

Good dry grip, progressive on the limit, some comedy moments under braking as the car squirms on its carrier bag sidewalls. I've not taken it out in the wet, but on the road they have immense grip when things get slippery.

I'm going to go for Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSports next time, they have similar dry and wet grip, but what feels like proper substance in the sidewalls. I want that. That's what the PS4S would give if it were available in the right size.

I run 35 cold all round now. Still floaty though, partly the tyre, partly the car.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Hm I wonder how much of it is tyres then, didn't feel that floaty when I was still on MPSS, but it might also be due to the fact I'm getting to know the car better.

Got an alignment done last week which did seem to help as toe was ever so slightly out on all four corners.

Did you feel the LSD made any difference to the floatiness?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting, the floatiness I seem to experience under hard acceleration might be more to do with the tyres than I thought.

Looking forward to your Bedford video!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Friend just took his sprinting this weekend, he hasn't got a diff but still posted some good times and had a lot of fun :) Relishing racing with the aircon on, lol

118226948_3506575376043733_3338140541538690849_o.jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Somehow, yesterday, we ended up with a day exactly as above, broken cloud, sunshine, and not one single drop of rain. We were lucky, very very lucky.

Thoughts after my first time on track in the dry with the LSD? HUGE fun!

It might be soft compared to more track focussed things, but the 140 has great balance, like really great. Chuck it in, provoke it with a lift, and it gives a firm single wag but otherwise stays put. Pick the throttle up smoothly when it's loaded and it refuses to let go unless I'm brutal with the pedal or steering.

When it does go I've learned that it can be a bit snappy, I got braver as they day went on and did hold some really long slides...not that they needed oppostie lock, more just that I took some lock off and had the back just smoothly coming around a bit helping all the way through. Those moments made me really appreciate what making progress with RWD and an LSD is all about.

With standard brakes (apart from ATE fluid) I was mostly working them 60-70% with just the occassional full press. They have potential, they're strong enough for me to take 30% of my braking distances easily, but I had the sense that if I did, it would be "box, box, box" half a lap later.

So I could easily try some better pads, some brake lines, maube discs, I think that would enable me to hold a good few cars off. Plenty only gained on me on the brakes where I was lift and coasting a lot.

But that won't happen. I like it standard. If I'm weaker on the way in, I have to work harder through and on the way out. I like that, and I like doing that a lot.

From watching that it was clear you were coasting a fair bit. If it were me I'd 100% get some better pads in there. What do you have now, standard ones? If so something slightly better but not full track spec would be a good step. DS2500s or equivalent...

What did you think of Bedford? I find it quite a nice fast sweeping circuit. Yes it's flat and not at all scenic but you can hold some speed through a lot of the corners.

Love that rear camera action Mark. I cant believe the restrain you show not to stamp on the brakes when being chased by something else, fair play! I would have been in the pits with the brakes on fire after half a lap. I have zero restrain when being pushed around by something of similar performance.

I have to agree with Martin on the brake pads. Even something tame like DS2500, M1144 etc just so you don't have the worry about fade and you can push that little bit more than the OE pads.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
From watching that it was clear you were coasting a fair bit. If it were me I'd 100% get some better pads in there. What do you have now, standard ones? If so something slightly better but not full track spec would be a good step. DS2500s or equivalent...

What did you think of Bedford? I find it quite a nice fast sweeping circuit. Yes it's flat and not at all scenic but you can hold some speed through a lot of the corners.

I was super cautious knowing that, as on my first time out at Goodwood, I could ruin the day if I went too hard on them. I am thinking of some better pads next time out although I'll probably just drop them in for the day and then swap back to road pads immediately after. That way I could go for something super aggressive.

Bedford? I've driven it many times before but the last was in 2016. I've forgotten how much fun it is knowing you don't have a solid wall of earth 5 metres away from you at every point on the circuit! The lack of gradients and camber makes it a bit meh, but as somewhere to just have a laugh and play with friends, it's great.

I'm so used to the super strict marshalling at Goodwood it took me a while to figure out what was and wasn't acceptable. If I drove 2 laps at GW like I was at the end of the day at Bedford, I'd be black flagged and sent home immediately :ROFLMAO:

Love that rear camera action Mark. I cant believe the restrain you show not to stamp on the brakes when being chased by something else, fair play! I would have been in the pits with the brakes on fire after half a lap. I have zero restrain when being pushed around by something of similar performance.

I have to agree with Martin on the brake pads. Even something tame like DS2500, M1144 etc just so you don't have the worry about fade and you can push that little bit more than the OE pads.

It took some discipline...my main focus was trying to hang the back end out and get comfortable with it!

And to rub my nose in my lack of pace, here's @Jeff simply playing with me (and his rear-end)...

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Those gloves shoes and open face helmet are tragic!

A full face helmet is pretty unnecessary in this sort of situation though, surely? I hate wearing a full face helmet.

Nothing wrong with wearing comfortable shoes either? Gloves are maybe a bit unnecessary, but do help a bit in my experience.

Just watched the latest instalment and have a question @MarkCup, why do you use left foot braking in a RWD car. I understand that with front wheel drive cars you can get the back out by doing it, but am ignorant about RWD.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
A full face helmet is pretty unnecessary in this sort of situation though, surely? I hate wearing a full face helmet.

Nothing wrong with wearing comfortable shoes either? Gloves are maybe a bit unnecessary, but do help a bit in my experience.

Exactly. F*** wearing a full face helmet in a closed cockpit car, it's not a competition, it's a social event.

Boots? For me, I have a lot going on down there so want to feel exactly what I'm doing. Plus my normal H&T on the road is to roll off the side onto the throttle so any shoes will do. When on track, the brake goes way lower than the throttle so I have to do the full foot pivot which means even average sized trainers are just too clumsy.

Gloves? Immense grip means a light touch is all that's needed. Plus, with the overly fat supersmooth almost polished finish BMW steering wheel, they help hugely when this is how I am after each session... 😂

IMG-20200824-WA0001.jpg

Just watched the latest instalment and have a question @MarkCup, why do you use left foot braking in a RWD car. I understand that with front wheel drive cars you can get the back out by doing it, but am ignorant about RWD.

It's force of habit really, if I don't need a downshift on the way in, why not? I'm not using the brakes at the same time as the throttle, apart from some minor overlap here and there. It makes the transition off the brakes and onto the throttle one movement instead of two and keeps the car more settled.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Is there some kind of autoblip/rev hold thing on the 140? Seemed like a couple of upshifts there the car was trying to hold the revs up.

Nice effort though, the M140i definitely goes very well for all its road manners.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Really really keen on an m140i, I’d want a 3 dr... what’s the best spec to go for?

Do they do any kind of aero pack to give it a more aggressive look?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Those gloves shoes and open face helmet are tragic!
Do you ever have anything good to say? 🤦‍♂️

Open face helmet so you don't sweat to death, gloves so you don't let the wheel slip and shoes because they provide more movement than a pair of trainers. I wear gloves on track, my hands sweat far too much to risk them slipping on a leather wheel. I wish I bought an open face helmet too, after 10 laps I look like I've been in thr shower😂😂

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
How did you find Bedford compared to goodwood?

Relaxed.

Open pit means track time when you choose, instead of having to keep your car moving in a queue or else go to the back and wait 45m to get back out again.

Also, far far busier, and a lot less strict with the marshalling.

We're all going back at least once next year, I'm up for a couple.

Is there some kind of autoblip/rev hold thing on the 140? Seemed like a couple of upshifts there the car was trying to hold the revs up.

Nice effort though, the M140i definitely goes very well for all its road manners.

Mine's always done that and a few others have said similar. If I wring it out to the last 500 or so RPM, when dipping the clutch and coming off the gas the revs drop, and then blip up a few hundred RPM without further input from me. No one's been able to explain why though!

Do they do any kind of aero pack to give it a more aggressive look?

Nope. If you do anything to one of these, it will still look like a bog standard spec 114d, but one with loads of tacky sh*t stuck to it.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
[emoji23][emoji23] yep that’s what I was getting at, they do have something about them in the flesh but in pics, for sale adverts they really do look like a bog standard 116 or something.. I followed one earlier and until I looked for the badge and twin pipes I wouldn’t have known..

The main reason I asked about the aero kit is because I’ve seen a really nice white one near me and it made me look twice, wasn’t kevved up just looked out the box perfect and wondered if it was a special model. Cheers

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Do you ever have anything good to say? 🤦‍♂️

Open face helmet so you don't sweat to death, gloves so you don't let the wheel slip and shoes because they provide more movement than a pair of trainers. I wear gloves on track, my hands sweat far too much to risk them slipping on a leather wheel. I wish I bought an open face helmet too, after 10 laps I look like I've been in thr shower😂😂

2 days ago I made that comment, keep up sweet cheeks

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
[emoji23][emoji23] yep that’s what I was getting at, they do have something about them in the flesh but in pics, for sale adverts they really do look like a bog standard 116 or something.. I followed one earlier and until I looked for the badge and twin pipes I wouldn’t have known..

The main reason I asked about the aero kit is because I’ve seen a really nice white one near me and it made me look twice, wasn’t kevved up just looked out the box perfect and wondered if it was a special model. Cheers

Might have had the Motech springs and spacers fitted, slightly lower with wheels slightly spaced out makes it look that bit more aggressive without being over the top in my opinion.

If you're looking for one, first half of 2018 would be the sweetspot for having rock guards fitted but no ppf yet.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
You've got the wrong helmet /size if it gives you headaches tbf, I went to a full face as needed a new one for HANS and can wear it for pretty much hours on end without issues

I have a massive head and it seems to swell up more when hot! [emoji23][emoji23] full face helmets have always been my enemy, either too tight or too loose.. never right! Hated doing my full bike licence because of this

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
How have the MPS4s done @MarkCup? First dry trackday with the LSD wasn't it?

Or is that for an upcoming video? ;)

Upcoming video I'm filming tomorrow...but, spoiler alert, having measured them the day before I left for the circuit, and then last weekend (a week after the trackday) I can report I had precisely no wear at all on the fronts, and 0.6mm lost from the rears. Genuinely, when I say no wear on the fronts I mean absolutely none at all, 6.05mm became 6.02mm, and 5.92mm became 5.84mm. I'm just too smooth! That or not trying hard enough.

I did have in mind that I was going to move across to Goodyear F1SS after this set was dead, but with that track wear rate, their day to day comfort, and epic wet grip, I'll be sticking with these from now on.

I can live with the squidgy sidewalls on track, makes the whole experience more of a laugh

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
That's quite impressive, especially with some sideways action throughout the day.

Shame you won't be testing against the F1SS, I'd be really interested to see an actual road/track user comparison but I fully agree that the road/wet characteristics of the MPS4 are brilliant.