ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mart.'s 172 Cup

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Ive been on the lookout for a 172 cup for over a year, and gave up the search last year due to being let down, and swerving a few rough ones. The scratch needed itching so I picked up the search again in March having sold my Mountune Fiesta ST Track car last year. I know the fiestas as a compariston arent quick out the box compared to a clio, but being the MP185, this thing was quick on the right track, and a lot better built aswell. Here it is:

48063202363_e1c6f5ff48_z.jpg

48063277797_328c6545da_z.jpg

Originally wanting a mint 172 cup, I decided I couldn't justify the prices people are asking, for it to sit on the drive 7 days a week. I widened the search to look at fast road spec and not too fussed on miles.

Having looked for another month or so, I found one.... it sold........ and then came back up for sale a month later. Nothing suspicious, just an impulse purchase at the time. 125k miles, with all the right bits done. More money for changes, and half the price of what I was looking for. So, I jumped on the 4 hour train on good friday and made my way down to Ascot.

48063260093_bc6c63b6f3_z.jpg

I did wonder what a 125k mile clio would be like, but I have been suprised. The 150 mile drive back home was great, no vibrations, no knocking, just noisy and typical french rattles! But a very clean and well looked after car. My last few cars have been higher miles and Ive found they have been better looked after than some of the low mile cars ive had, so i wont be so quick to judge them in the future. Spec when i picked the car up and a pic on the evening I collected

48063088071_0f9cf19c09_z.jpg

HPI Clear, 2 keys, full book pack, and a folder full of receipts. I think its been on this forum a good few times aswell as it has a neat cliosport.net wallet

- Original splitter, which most seem to have lost over the years.
- Refurbished Turnini's
- Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres
- Cup shocks and top mounts all round a year or so ago
- Cooksport Springs
- K-Tec Stealth Catback Exhaust with Sports cat
- Parrot Handsfree Kit with USB and Aux which actually works
- Front speakers upgraded to vibe
- Headlights changed for new due to clouding so they look mint
- Belts and dephaser done Jun-16 with receipts
- 4 x new injectors
- Retrimmed steering wheel in alcantara, with yellow centre strip at top
- Powerflex Dogbone Mount
- Powerflex Engine Mount
- Goodridge braided brake lines all round
- Brembo discs all round with standard rear pads and DS2500 up front
- Smaller Front Plate
- ITG Panel Filter
- Engine cover and fuel guard rail have been repainted silver.
- New rear number plate light with LED

With any car thats 16 years old, there are a few things that need addressing, but as this is purely a toy, then it will be done when time allows. I am being picky:

Maintenace/Upgrades:
- Full Service (New Elf oil purchased and oil filter, pollen filter, spark plugs & sump plug washer).
- 172 cup door badge (drivers side) - Purchased 1 and 2 turned up! Happy days.
- Change Interior light, boot light & sidelights for LED
- Change centre console around gearstick due to marks
- Change all the horrible rubber door grabs, hazard switch and any other bits for non-sport items
- Fit Recaro Trendline F1 seats
- Fit 2nd boot light
- New mats all round as no rears for some reason, but they are genuine renault in at the moment
- Source and refit rear wiper
- Repaint calipers in silver
- PMS stub axle spacer kit

Items needing attention:
- Sort wiring under seats to allow fitting of recaros and seat connectors both been cut off and crimped annoyingly
- Oil leak to be looked at and addressed, not losing oil though, so hoping easy fix (touch wood)
- Small leak near radiator (may have just been washer bottle overflow, but will check)
- There is a noise coming from the exhaust, but doesnt appear to be leaking, so will swap out the seals which came with the car. If not i'll likely remove the sports cat for a standard one and see if that is the issue of the humming. I might also just get a standard exhaust, as this is a bit loud for me now, after tipping over 30 LOL.

To be continued.........

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Before I even purchased the car I came across a set of Trendlines on the Recaro frames with pretensioners, covers and frames for a great price, so off i went up to near Sheffield to collect them, and stuck them in the garage awaiting a car. Thanks to @mossyv6

48063109701_4bdf786805_z.jpg

Once the car was purchased, I set about the nuts under the car to get the seats changed. Outer nuts were fine, but the ones exposed to the elements under the car and awkwardly near the exhaust were a PITA to get out (what a silly design)!!

Upon unbolting the standard seats, i noticed that the wiring had been "accessed" before, with connectors on the pretensioners and actual car loom cut off and reconnected using crimps. The airbag and service light were also on when i purchased the car.

48063142808_c89048fe4f_z.jpg

Given I didn't really want to cut the wiring on the recaros off I went to the scrapyard to get 2 new pretensioners and the connectors from a scrapper. Whilst there I stripped the car of the door grab handles, centre console, and hazard switch, and some fresh seat nuts for underneath.

48063177156_dc04ce800d_z.jpg

48063184882_26186a30cd_z.jpg

With the standard seats out, I swapped the pre-tensioners over on them, so that when they ever go back in the car, they have a proper connector on them, rather than crimps, and I know they are done properly.

I then set about adding the connector back to the car loom, and tidied away with insualtion tape, so the proper connectors can now be used. Hooray! The airbag and service light have disappeared!!

48063173966_fc930cda6c_z.jpg

Seats went straight in and look great with the mondial blue

48063218683_efbe3bee37_z.jpg

Got the parrot kit fired up aswell; which I wasnt expecting to work, but does, so stuck the remote onto the dash out the way (Bonus!). Only issue is the Aux that the kit comes with has one volume setting.... extra loud.... so cant use the Aux on the kit:

Sidelights before and after:

48063221943_cd75aa0c3a_z.jpg

48063208403_275100540e_z.jpg

48063161871_16955c1029_z.jpg

Because 2 sets of Blue recaro trendlines are never enough, I had previously committed to purchasing a set from someone else, so rather than go back on my word, i ended up buying them, making a good set from the 4 seats I had and then sold the other set, to the first genuine person who turned up! I had to give them a thorough clean, but was worth the effort. Really rate the juicy details fabric cleaner.

48063162216_de36b4ce90_z.jpg

Car has pretty much done 5 miles since i bought it at the beginning of April. Progress will be slow due to 2nd child, and in what I thought was a condition of Cliosport.net membership, I have purchased a BMW E91 touring (thanks to @sirdave for the endless messages) Heres the barge (lets see if this lasts 6 months like everything else i buy):

48063249832_1b0d06cf32_z.jpg

48063201023_1ee9931613_z.jpg

I have purchased a ticket to CSF in July, and the itch to get booked back on a trackday was too much, so I have booked onto the morning session at Blyton :D

48063200238_22eab20983_z.jpg

Going to see if I can get some cheap wheels with sticky tyres on so I dont mess up the PS3's on the car now. And it will get a general look over before then aswell.

Ive also changed the interior light and boot light for LED..... Much much brighter, and bit more modern feel.

Next up will be the MOT in July, and at the same time that is with my mate, it will be going up on the ramp to get the exhaust looked at because im sick of how loud it is. I suspect i may need to source something quieter, even if its standard. And Ill also get the small leaks looked at whilst in the air.

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Cheers. Plan is to just keep doing small bits to it and keep it OEM. I missed off one thing.... not washed it since I’ve owned it but that’s on the list aswell ?

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Really nice Cup. Like the OEM feel. Good choice of upgrades. I had Cooksport springs on mine and it provided a suitably nice drop. Seats look epic. Well done on the E91 Touring purchase too, i love mine (y)

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Really nice Cup. Like the OEM feel. Good choice of upgrades. I had Cooksport springs on mine and it provided a suitably nice drop. Seats look epic. Well done on the E91 Touring purchase too, i love mine (y)

Cheers. They just look so clean in OEM form with a subtle drop. Seats look good but coming from bucket seats they are a bit different but this isn’t a track car so looks are higher haha.

Is your pre or post LCI? Surprised how much spec I got on mine but the fuel is another level of awfulness in the 2.5 with auto box ? but I don’t use it to commute so can deal with that.

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
@Sir_Dave heres the pics of the e91 you said to let you know when I got round to putting them up! Credit in the first post aswell. ?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Both them are lovely. I too have just bought a 3 series?also assisted by sir dave. He’s keeping the market strong

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Cheers. They just look so clean in OEM form with a subtle drop. Seats look good but coming from bucket seats they are a bit different but this isn’t a track car so looks are higher haha.

Is your pre or post LCI? Surprised how much spec I got on mine but the fuel is another level of awfulness in the 2.5 with auto box ? but I don’t use it to commute so can deal with that.
DBD2CCA5-4B5B-4BCC-A748-4DC4C38C47E4.jpeg
its
It’s an Aplina D3 mate. Normally no spec whatsoever as you had to pay a £1,500 surcharge before adding any options. Luckily it has Pro Nav and leather seats which is good enough for me :)

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Always good to see another nice cup & mileage doesnt mean i thing if well looked after & maintained.I may come to CSF for the day,i need some decent seats for my cup so would like to try/see what people have at CSF.

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Both them are lovely. I too have just bought a 3 series?also assisted by sir dave. He’s keeping the market strong

He sure is. But he is a fountain of knowledge and glad I bought one now. I bet we would be able to hold a 3 series meet just off here ?

View attachment 1422296its
It’s an Aplina D3 mate. Normally no spec whatsoever as you had to pay a £1,500 surcharge before adding any options. Luckily it has Pro Nav and leather seats which is good enough for me :)

Really like the D3. And also the Porsche in the background ? I was surprised at how many of the bm’s had very little spec.

Always good to see another nice cup & mileage doesnt mean i thing if well looked after & maintained.I may come to CSF for the day,i need some decent seats for my cup so would like to try/see what people have at CSF.

I agree on these with the maintenance side. Yours made me push to start looking at another one to be fair. I’m sure there will be a huge variety of seats at CSF. You’re welcome to give these a try if you haven’t before ?

Clio 172 Cup
Looks lovely nice find, keep the exhaust set up ect and take up to efi and get mapped will really make a difference on the car. Enjoy ?

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Thanks mate,i changed my headlights to xenon.They are much better & just look cooler

I’ll keep my eyes peeled if some come up.

Looks lovely nice find, keep the exhaust set up ect and take up to efi and get mapped will really make a difference on the car. Enjoy ?

Cheers. Once I know what’s up with the noise coming from the exhaust I’ll take it from there. Hoping it’s something simple. I know sports cats get less efficient on MOTs as they get older so hopefully it passes! Lol.

Clio 172 Cup
It’s should do mate providing they warm it up correctly before texting my cat has corroded so I am putting a sports cat on next week was much cheaper than a oem one

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
I don’t know how old the cat is so just hoping the baffles haven’t perished which is why I’m getting the humming noise under acceleration. My mate will be sure to “warm” it up before hand though ?

Clio 172 Cup
Mate ??????? nice one !!! Not sure how the sports cat works with ktec exhaust but it’s all ktec too and I shudnt have to map again either. What exhaust is on urs

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
That’s ideal then. Mines ktec stealth and not sure on the car until I can get it up in the air. I don’t know if it’s the lack of sound deadening making it louder than I’m used to ?‍♂️

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I don’t know how old the cat is so just hoping the baffles haven’t perished which is why I’m getting the humming noise under acceleration. My mate will be sure to “warm” it up before hand though ?

Check your exhaust mounts mate, found on my cup when they start to fail it rattles/hums under acceleration (y)

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
I generally just know from the emissions on the mot if on it’s way out. I stopped running decat a number of years ago as I personally can’t be doing with the hassle if I was ever pulled over (touch wood that hasn’t happened).

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Far as i know mine is ok as only had the mot done a month ago,but now days they dont give you a print out of yuor emissions or brake test.But like you think i would rather get a sports cat if i do for the sake of not having to change for mot every year

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
I didn’t know they don’t give you the print out anymore. Good to know. It’s a shame as it’s useful to see.

Clio 172 Cup
Hi mate @ mr blonde I thought I had a blow so got it checked and mine had coroded by the join and was blowing so I looked into a standard cat replacement and was extortionate so opted for the ktec sports cat it’s being fitted next Tuesday. Had a decat on my type r and was really loud and I am an old fart now lol so didn’t wanna go that route

Clio 172 Cup
I am not doing it for any performance gains mate just the best option I had no plans to change, what exhaust have u got on ur cup ? Do u know if sports cat makes it much louder ?

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I was just going to do it like you i guess if i need to change it,as its on a high mileage now.i think they just make it a bit more revvy & better top end.

Clio 172 Cup
Cool ? I think mine was on original cat by the looks of it I wouldn’t have changed had it not failed it’s not even that bad but my ocd takes over lol ?

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Some service parts ready to go on:
Elf oil 5w 40
Oil filter
Spark plugs
Pollen filter
Sump plug washer

No air filter as running its panel filter, and ordered a fuel filter but they look to be an item not normally replaced so will leave that well alone lol.

Also ordered 1 cup badge for the doors and 2 turned up. Happy days?? so they will be replaced aswell

48099562226_39479590d2_z.jpg
09D92C41-0FA9-43BD-953C-F59C1BCD3506

Ordered a wheel, boss, and stalk yesterday so will see what it's like when it arrives but will keep standard tucked away for now.

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
I dont think cups have a pollen filter mate,are those Bosch Super 4 plugs?

Haha you may well be right! Blindly ordered during the newborn night feeds ? and yes they are the super 4. Just want to give it a quick going over.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Never mind ay,can sell it on.I would suggest using NGK plugs next time mate as most use them as some have probs with other plugs,you maybe ok tho (y)

Looking good tho mate & keeping it well maintained.

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Good to know. Cheers. I normally use the NGK iridium platinum on turbo cars as they seem best. Will stick them in and see what happens lol if not will flip over to them. Interested to see whats in there at the moment.

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
So, after this absolute plonker blocked me in the car park yesterday I was late for my MOT so rearranged for Saturday. However, I’m so glad I don’t commute in this thing lol.

Also, been let down on the steering wheel. Thankfully got my money back but annoyed I’ve missed another one in the meantime.

Attachments

• 223B21E8-3C81-4952-BA7F-F690F00F27FF.jpeg
    223B21E8-3C81-4952-BA7F-F690F00F27FF.jpeg
    508 KB · Views: 148

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
MOT passed for another 12 months.
Sports cat flew through bang in the middle of the lambda readings.
Rear brakes were a little close to the wire but ok.

Managed to get to the source of the exhaust noise..... nuts and bolts between the cat and manifold loose and turns out they are a Complete PITA to change or tighten. Completely bonkers design. Good to know it’s that though and be the reason the previous owner passed the gasket on rather than fitting it himself.

Also got a radiator leak so need a new rad. And the oil leaks are coming from a few places.

I guess it’s welcome to French car ownership!

P.s. hubcentric spacers for the front and PMS stub axle spacers for the rear have now arrived and to be fitted shortly.

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
So.... impulse purchased some OZ’s in 15” with basically new AD08R. They looked nice ?‍♂️ Manmaths! Will get the cleaned and on tomorrow if I have time.

I also ended up purchasing a sparco steering wheel as part of the deal.

So jump in the car over to wales on a Tuesday night. What can go wrong I hear you say. 2 hours there, 3 hours back ?

Motorway shut. Managed to somehow get on an open junction that should’ve been closed so had 20 miles of absolutely no cars in either direction. Diversion on the way back so follow signs as google had no clue motorway was shut. 25 mins later and I’m back where i started. God damn ?

Purchased a radiator and also a PAS switch as seems to be 2 of the leaks I can see.