ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mates 182 has died ???

182 Trophy
Hi There

My mates 182 Engine has gone pop, cambelt has come off and destroyed the engine. I told him not to buy it as it was ropey but he didnt listen as it was cheap .... Only had it since sat :quiet:

How much are we looking for a second hand engine then ?

Sam

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hi There

My mates 182 Engine has gone pop, cambelt has come off and destroyed the engine. I told him not to buy it as it was ropey but he didnt listen as it was cheap .... Only had it since sat :quiet:

How much are we looking for a second hand engine then ?

Sam

about 600 quids me thinks

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Ermmm no 182's are 5 years old yet. The cambelt should not be snapping.

Are you sure its not the aux belt which has snapped and taken the cambelt with it? aux belt should be changed at 3 yrs/36k.

If it is the cambelt which has gone and not an auxbelt fail i would defo be getting onto Renault UK as its not due to be changed according to them until the cars 5 yrs old.

Fiesta ST
Ermmm no 182's are 5 years old yet. The cambelt should not be snapping.

Are you sure its not the aux belt which has snapped and taken the cambelt with it? aux belt should be changed at 3 yrs/36k.

If it is the cambelt which has gone and not an auxbelt fail i would defo be getting onto Renault UK as its not due to be changed according to them until the cars 5 yrs old.

Depends on the mileage? whichever comes first.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
ahhh yeah thats a point, didnt think of that.

If the cars under 72k and under 5 yrs old i would be moaning my tits of at Renault (in a calm and constructive manor) about this failure again providing it had the auxbelt changed last year.

182 Trophy
Not good.. How many miles? Age? etc?

It has done 30k

ahhh yeah thats a point, didnt think of that.

If the cars under 72k and under 5 yrs old i would be moaning my tits of at Renault (in a calm and constructive manor) about this failure again providing it had the auxbelt changed last year.

Not sure if its had an Aux belt, doubht it tbh !!! He is bring the report from renault over for me to see later anyway. In all fairness as nice as my mate is i warned him and told him not to buy it and he still did so :rasp:

Just hope he can get a decent engine , be nice to throw a modded one in haha

Sam

Monaco RS Clio 172
my aux belt seems to be making a little bit of noise at the mo. booked in to be done next wednesday but scared to drive it now.

any chance anyone knows while on the subject if it gets loud or anything before it goes?

rentec are doing full genuine cam/aux belt but as I say, 7 days of driving to/from work to go

is it worth it to put up a fight and not drive it til then?

A

ashy_gtt

Are you classing the Aux belt as the one that runs the power steering pump, alternator and aircon pump?

BMW M135i
Are you classing the Aux belt as the one that runs the power steering pump, alternator and aircon pump?
Yes and 9/10 when it breaks it throws itself into the cambelt and pulls that off too. Thats why renault dropped the aux belt from a 72k to 36k change interval.

182 Trophy
What were the reasons you warned him not to buy it for?
Did you have visions of a 30k 182 cambelt going;)

The car looked in crap conditon and like it had not been looked after
The Guy who was selling the car knew nothing about it really, didnt know how any of the damage had happend on it
The guy Ragged the living tits off it on the test drive, so much so that he managed to grind it into 2nd and 3rd
No service book
No proof to say the cambelt was done

I warned him and told him not to buy it, i evan told the seller i thought it was a crap car but my mates 18 with too much money and would not listen .....

:)

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
If it popped at 30k its just unlucky as said probably aux belt went, you can rag the nuts off it and abuse the service history the belt should not have gone at that interval TBH, your mates just unlucky mate.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
What were the reasons you warned him not to buy it for?
Did you have visions of a 30k 182 cambelt going;)

The car looked in crap conditon and like it had not been looked after
The Guy who was selling the car knew nothing about it really, didnt know how any of the damage had happend on it
The guy Ragged the living tits off it on the test drive, so much so that he managed to grind it into 2nd and 3rd
No service book
No proof to say the cambelt was done

I warned him and told him not to buy it, i evan told the seller i thought it was a crap car but my mates 18 with too much money and would not listen .....

:)

A big shame. I suppose the cash was burning a hole in his pocket, some people will never be told:clown:

A

ashy_gtt

Yes and 9/10 when it breaks it throws itself into the cambelt and pulls that off too. Thats why renault dropped the aux belt from a 72k to 36k change interval.

How does it do that when they are separated by a plastic guard?

The only place they run together is on the bottom pulley and the cam belt is enclosed in a protective casing?