ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matte Red/Matte Grey Plastidipped my 172

As as few of you already know I'm in business with a friend in the power coating world of alloy wheel refurbishment.
With myself getting more involved in the company we've decided to start offering Hydrodipping and Plastidipping.

I'm not offering my services now, that will come once the business for Hydrodipping and Plastidipping is fully up and running and I'll get myself a traders section on here so watch out.

I've just recently bought a 172 for the companies so I can display what we offer on the car, take it to CSS and other shows etc.. The idea is to dip most of the interior carbon fibre along with the wheels, brakes, mirrors, bullets etc.

Also to show off the pastidip on a car everyone on here is familiar with. I've gone for 2 plastidip colours to see what they both come out like.

When I get time I will put together a video time-lapse of the process but for the mean time I'll upload a few pictures.

Before. (with 172 wheels)
IMG_20130210_160440.jpg

IMG_20130210_160453.jpg

Bonnet (done on a separate day)
IMG_20130407_180624.jpg

Drying
IMG_20130407_185633.jpg

Dry
IMG_20130407_193651.jpg

IMG_20130411_184558.jpg

Matte Red time

IMG_20130413_144937.jpg

G0010765.jpg

G0040772.jpg

G0020099.jpg

G0040605.jpg

IMG_20130414_203727.jpg

IMG_20130414_203719.jpg

IMG_20130414_203704.jpg

IMG_20130414_203610.jpg

IMG_20130414_203627.jpg

​There is a lot to learn when doing a whole car, some of which I found out along the way.

Overall I think it looks the nuts came out a lot better than I expected, still needs a few bits peeled off here and there, but I will do that another time.

​Let me know what you think

Wish you'd done everything the matte grey dude!! Taking colour out of the equation the results look really good.

Good luck on the new business venture, is this a full time thing for you now?

Nice new hair :rasp:

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not a fan. Red needs to be a deep finish with plenty of gloss! To me it looks like a car that has never been looked after and the colour has faded. Might look better in natural light.

Clio 182
Hate both the colours but love the way it's done and the quality of it. Can't wait to see more stuff!

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
I can't decide if I like it or not ...maybe. Few more/better pictures in natural light would make my decision :)

looks like you've done a good job though :approve:

ps: just out of interest how does this plasticdipping thing work? Do you spray the whole car and just peal it away from the places you don't want it to cover? Because if so what is to stop some prick just pealing bits of it away when you leave it parked up some day?

Is there a bit more to it :eek:?

Last edited:
It's evenings/weekends atm Sam, once the hydrodipping really takes off then I will have to do it full time.

And thanks.

This was more to show off the process, obviously the customer would choose what colour/combo they would want matte/gloss etc.

I will be doing a few more demo cars in different colours and also a high gloss wrap.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
The grey looks bloody awesome, not a huge fan of the red but I will reserve criticism until I see it in the flesh.

that reds horrible, sorry just so uninspiring. looks like its been in the sun for years.

the greys nice though, do the whole thing in that

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Tyler how much plastidip did you use? I've been contemplating having a go at the 172 but have been struggling to find out rough usages most seem to estimate 15litres for a small car which would cost around £240 depending on where it was purchased from..

who have you been using for your supplies?

I can't decide if I like it or not ...maybe. Few more/better pictures in natural light would make my decision :)

looks like you've done a good job though :approve:

ps: just out of interest how does this plasticdipping thing work? Do you spray the whole car and just peal it away from the places you don't want it to cover? Because if so what is to stop some prick just pealing bits of it away when you leave it parked up some day?

Is there a bit more to it :eek:?

As you said above, its the same principal as vinyl so yeah instead of someone keying your car they could just peal this away like vinyl.

Want another demo car? Lol

I will but not clios lol

Tyler how much plastidip did you use? I've been contemplating having a go at the 172 but have been struggling to find out rough usages most seem to estimate 15litres for a small car which would cost around £240 depending on where it was purchased from..

who have you been using for your supplies?

In red I used 5 litres of plastidip and 5 litres of thinners. 600ml in both plastidip and thinners for the bonnet.

Plastidip UK I'm using ATM but there's a few around.

Not a fan of different coloured bonnets myself so i coloured it in.

Allred_zpsefc35957.png

Good effort.

Tbh if it was my car and not a demo to show off the colours I will definitely have the one colour

work for BMW
i really want to get mine done too! if your thinking of starting it as a business i would gladly pay you to do my car :)

The pics make it look like an unwashed inferno orange.

Won't plastidip chip like crazy?

Phones pictures don't really show the redness of it. I'll upload a few using a proper camera soon.

It's similar to vinyl, but I'll find out how stone chips hold up soon.

That look smart need to see it in the flesh

Thanks

Want my X5 as a demo?

Might do, I'll keep you as my 4x4 contact.

How easy is it to get it off?

​I just have visions of the laquer underneath coming off with it.

Like a sticker, very very little chance of the laquer coming off, possibly on a old car where the laquer is quite week to start.

i really want to get mine done too! if your thinking of starting it as a business i would gladly pay you to do my car :)

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind and let me know once we officially get started

looks s**t hot :)

Cheers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looks like you have done a good job of doing the work but I think it looks awful in matte TBH, was much nicer before you started.

At least its reversible though :)

work for BMW
you can buy plastidip glossifer which changes it from matt to gloss, if i get mine done i will definitely go for gloss

Looks like you have done a good job of doing the work but I think it looks awful in matte TBH, was much nicer before you started.

At least its reversible though :)

Thanks, I'll be experimenting with different colors and matte/gloss this was just the first test.

Always wanted to do my MK3 MX5 in the baby blue they do!!

Yeah really want to see that color, could be a matte RB if baby blue enough

Assuming he declared it, and informed the DVLA of the colour change, it should be fine.

Has he done these two things though is the question.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Surley you wouldn't need to actually declare it to the DVLA if it just 'peels off'?

Inform the insurance company absolutley!

You might get pulled by the police though. I did in my Exige as they expected to see a white Exige (as I had the previous owners private plate on at the time, which I was told to keep on until the dealer had sorted the paperwork).

So if they expect to see a silver Clio, and it is indeed red, they will have some questions.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You've done a cracking job of that Tyler, is that why you were busy yesterday then mate?

The finish is quality but I'm not keen on the colour yet (better pictures may help).

The grey however, what an amazing colour. If I ended up having mine done, it'd 1000% be that grey.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You might get pulled by the police though. I did in my Exige as they expected to see a white Exige (as I had the previous owners private plate on at the time, which I was told to keep on until the dealer had sorted the paperwork).

So if they expect to see a silver Clio, and it is indeed red, they will have some questions.

Agreed, you will get pulled all the time if your local police are at a loose end as it looks like youve stuck the plates on from a different car.

I want to see a glossified white plastidipped car in real life as im tempted to do my turbo white for a bit.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The finish really is impressive chip, not to mention the ability to "heal" stonechips. It's bloody durable from what I've seen too.

The police is the only annoying thing, every traffic cop you pass, I bet they'd consider giving you a tug. Maybe a big sign in the back window:

"THIS CAR IS WRAPPED, NORMALLY SILVER"