ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matt's Clio 172 CUP Project Thread

Renault Sport 172CUP
Hey there guys, my name's Matt and i bought my first RS Clio about four months ago. As thought to be standard, plus a power flow exhaust.

She came without any service history what so ever, so my first point of call was to change the cam-belt, do the leads, plugs and filter and change the oil, the wheels were also in an horrendous state so i had them refurbished as standard with yellow diamonds, which i followed through with, with yellow bullets and matching front and back yellow diamonds.

530091_10150986437189989_220322597_n.jpg

A few weeks later i left the bonnet un catch'd and it flew up destroying the bonnet, windscreen and causing damage to the front of the roof (What an idiot)

I managed to quickly source a bonnet in primer from my local scrappy, and Autoglass were able to replace the screen like two days later, happy days, she was back on the road!

521902_10150908794994989_2104196711_n.jpg

After a few week or two of getting it back on the road i noticed she was drinking significant amounts of oil, and increasingly blowing more crap out of the exhaust so set sights to rebuilding the engine as a bit of a project for me and my dad as something we could do together.

Extraction Process To Follow...

Attachments

• 100_1672.jpg
    100_1672.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 109
  Renault Sport 172CUP
100_1671.jpg100_1739.jpg100_1744.jpg100_1745.jpg100_1753.jpg100_1754.jpg100_1756.jpg100_1758.jpg

And out :) After not too much of a struggle either!

100_1759.jpg

Started with splitting the gear box making good use of the hoist for accessibility, Once it was split, it was in, and up on the bench.

100_1767.jpg100_1768.jpg

More to follow....

Renault Sport 172CUP
As it currently stands, my plans are:

Engine & Bay

New OEM Oil Filter (Already Have)
New Sump Washer (Already Have)
New OEM Fuel Filter (Already Have)
New OEM Oil Pump (Already Have)
New OEM Water Pump (Already Have)
New Thermostat (Already Have)
New Valeo Clutch (Yet To Order)
New OEM Head Bolts (Already Have)
New OEM Valves/Seals (Already Have)
Uprated Valve Springs (Yet To Order)
Uprated Cams (Yet To Order *looking for advice)
ITM Induction Kit (Yet To Order)
Full Samco White Coolant Silicone Hose Kit (Yet To Order)
Engine Bay Resprayed In Metallic Black
Engine Block Resprayed in Matt Black
Head Resprayed In Anthracite
Inlet Manifold In High Gloss Black With White Detail
Visible Bolts Painted In White

+ Update on Bottom End (After Inspection)

Exterior & Body

Smoothed Washer Blanks
Smoothed Front Number Recess
Sprayed - Black High Gloss Upper and Lower Grille
Sprayed - Black High Gloss Fog Light Shells
Sprayed - Black high Gloss Rear Bumper Trim
Full 3M Wrap In Championship White

Suspension

Full Power flex Poly Bush Kit
Lowering Springs (Looking for advice)
Whiteline ARB Kit

Have said what i already have and what i'm planning to order in-case anyone would recommend something different etc, and please shout if there's anything you think i may have missed.

pimp mobile Zafira
Good work mate. I take it you got the car for a good price! This should make for a good project. Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Porsche GT4
I have some Eibach Pro springs that i'm looking to sell, i've fitted the front one's & rolled the car into the garage so unused the back haven't been fitted. I'm now going for coilovers as its a track car.

I paid £172, if your interested make me an offer.

Great work by the way.

Renault Sport 172CUP
I have some Eibach Pro springs that i'm looking to sell, i've fitted the front one's & rolled the car into the garage so unused the back haven't been fitted. I'm now going for coilovers as its a track car.

I paid £172, if your interested make me an offer.

Great work by the way.

Are they the 40mm drop ones mate? Thanks for the offer, and support.

Renault Sport 172CUP
Has anyone got a picture of there's with a 40mm drop, on 16's. x8mrk, pm me your lowest price and how soon could you whip them off?

Porsche GT4
I can take them off by the weekend, send me your best offer

I may even leave them on the dampers for you, they have only done 56k

Renault Sport 172CUP
Haven't done an update in ages! Things are still happening :) just been busy with work and been on holiday!

On inspection of the bottom end, I ve decided just too replace the piston rings and big end bearings across all four cylinders. After a little debate where to source the parts from i went with genuine Renault and it didn't even break the bank, the rings were £36 + VAT per cylinder and the bearings were £17 + VAT

Renault Sport 172CUP
After a fair few hours of "self preparation" to keep some of the costs down i dropped of few the items that were to be sprayed in high gloss black down to Colour Tec "my local sprayers" Pretty happy with the results!

One inlet manifold with some white detailing

InletManifold.jpg

Pretty much the front end

HighGlossBlackInletGrills.jpg

Fog light shells

000_0003.jpg