ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

megane 225 cup?

clio 172, 200sx s14a
looking at getting a megane 225 cup. Have found a 2004 model that claims to have the cup chassis and lux pack but it has silver brake callipers. It has the cup wheels but is there any more obvious things to also look for to confirm if it has the cup chassis or not. cheers.

clio 172, 200sx s14a
All ph1 225 had silver calipers. Got a link to the car your looking at?

image_zps43832525.jpg

225 Cup & Williams
It's got xenons which are quite rare mate. Afaik the anthracite wheels are the only give away of a cup/cup packed on a ph1. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will come along.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
If the ESP goes back on at 30 it's not cup packed, if you can keep it switched off above that then it's got the cup pack.

And yeah you were right Steve, I was along later ;)

clio 172, 200sx s14a
is there any other ways just that the car is miles away. i think ill ask the owner about the esp though,
cheers guys for the uber fast replys

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah there are, like checking the springs but the ESP is the easiest way by far. A non cup can be mapped to keep it switch off but if the car hasn't been mapped its pretty unlikely to have been done.

clio 172, 200sx s14a
Won't be a cup as it didn't come out till 05 as the trophy introduced the cup chassis.

this is what i also thought but read on various different sites that it was an option on early cars.
Can you put the cup suspension on a non cup, sorry bit new to 225s.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Those Meganes have grown on me a lot. The 225s seems decent price. Even the F1 can be had for cheap.

The potential running costs put me off. Am I right?

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Those Meganes have grown on me a lot. The 225s seems decent price. Even the F1 can be had for cheap.

Tyres are between £600 and £800 for a set, brakes cost a bit more than a Clio for example, and fuel economy for me is between 24 and 28 mpg. A standard car should easily be able to average 30mpg plus though.

225 Cup & Williams

Really not as bad as you think Kev but obviously you have to factor in things going wrong but you would do that with every car I suppose.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Aye it's a fair bit more than a Clio but in reality it's about the same as everything else. Certainly would be comparable to the tt if not slightly cheaper I reckon. It's just 172s ruin you for other cars £/fun ratio wise

225 Cup & Williams
Aye it's a fair bit more than a Clio but in reality it's about the same as everything else. Certainly would be comparable to the tt if not slightly cheaper I reckon. It's just 172s ruin you for other cars £/fun ratio wise

Very spoiled with the 172/182 when it comes to repair costs John compared to a lot of other hot hatches.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah DK said the same about his R26. I try not to compare things to the TT running costs wise.

It was over 32k new so when something goes wrong which is not often on these it costs, a lot sadly, you can buy an M3 for 7k as anyone knows or a 7 series BMW for pennies! ;) In saying that mainstream wise Renaults are easily the most expensive brand for parts. I know you can pick up cheap stuff now like brakes etc but buy anything from Renault and it's f**king fortunes!

I just think they have dated really well. The 225 even looks superb.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't even say the Clio was that cheap to run. Insurance certainly isn't. I said before I was getting quotes for £££'s more than the TT for 182s etc.

Tax isn't cheap. Tyres again not inexpensive being 16".

In comparison to other hot hatches though i'd probably say Steve is right though. Factor in a possible 35mpg and as i've always said bang for buck very hard to beat.

BMW M135i
The earliest cups you will find will be 05 with most being 55, the trophy introduced the cup chassis on an 05 plate then it became an option when the 225 cup was release which some early models make it onto a 05 plate with most being 55 plate onwards.

Much like this one :dapprove:

CIMG1959.JPG

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah what did i say last night.
Yes all the cup stuff can be retro fitted but there is more to the full pack then shockers and springs.

There not to bad to run get one with most of the common stuff done.

clio 172, 200sx s14a
The earliest cups you will find will be 05 with most being 55, the trophy introduced the cup chassis on an 05 plate then it became an option when the 225 cup was release which some early models make it onto a 05 plate with most being 55 plate onwards.

Much like this one :dapprove:

CIMG1959.JPG

Well that's exactly what I'm after is it yours? don't fancy a swap for an s2000 do you, no harm in asking

340i
Tyres are between £600 and £800 for a set, brakes cost a bit more than a Clio for example, and fuel economy for me is between 24 and 28 mpg. A standard car should easily be able to average 30mpg plus though.

What tires are you buying, Tim?!?!?! mental.

A set of Michelin PS'3's are only £520 in 235 profile or £470 in 225!