ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Meguiars g220 polisher - Can I used smaller pads on the standard backing plate?

Clio 182 FF
I have a meguiars g220 polisher however the normal megs pads that i use with the normal backing plate are a fair size and make it a bit awkward when trying to machine polish certain parts of the car without getting polish everywhere.

Does anyone know IF i can use smaller pads with the standard backing plate OR will a different backing plate fit this polisher so I can use smaller pads for different jobs

BMW E46 330i Touring
Get a smaller backing plate! If the standard backing plate is in line with, or even overlapping, the pad then you are asking for it to drive straight into your paintwork the second you catch an angle.

You can get 'spot' backing plates for the G220 (DA Machine) at almost any online retailer.

Honda & VW
It depends, do you want to polish your car with Velcro? If yes keep the larger plate, if not get yourself a smaller backing plate to save any damage.

Bumder With A Buffer
Be hardcore like me and you can use the larger backing plate with the small pad and not do any damage. :cool:

I couldnt be arsed to walk the 12 foot or so to go get the smaller backing plate out of the shed at the time. so used the larger one. Not a porblem unless you are a complete spaz. ;)

Yeeeaaahhhhhh

But no in all seriousness buy a smaller backing plate.

Clio 182 FF
thats great thanks for the advice guys - i'll be ordering the backing plate and a few pads shortly.

Another quick question though - I see the sonus 4" pads are quite reasonable but which pads are best for applying the polish / wax etc & which are best for buffing it off after before the final wipedown

Clio 182 FF
wicked, thanks for the advice.

I'll get some pics up soon once its all cleaned and polished

This was the last time it was polished - seems ages away now the the weather was good enough to do it! Angs Car 009.jpg