ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Melted Brake Boots

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Last weekend I used PBS pads for the first time at Bedford and clearly got the brakes very hot! (I used to just use road pads until they faded)

This evening I went to change pads and noticed that the rubber boot has gone brittle and fallen apart - I assume due to heat.

I know that I need to get a new seal kit and get the piston out to change the boot. However what is the best way to do this?

•I've got some old calipers before I changed to this set in 2015, so I can unbolt and switch to those to stop the fluid leaking.

•However with the caliper off, how do I get the piston out? For instance, is there an adaptor that can connect the caliper to a tyre inflator.

I would have been tempted to clamp the brake line but understand this can't be done with braided items.

bigredd caliper.jpg

Has this also happened to anyone else, or is it the due to BigRedd seals? Sure @bloke has an opinion on this :)

dan's cast offs.
funny you should say bigredd seals, saw them do the same after a couple of track days. they were fitted by someone as i talked them through doing it so it was down to the quality of them.

for how far out it is i'd pump it a bit more until it's almost out, then swap them over and the piston should come out by hand. if you do use an airline with a tyre valve on it be bloody careful as they can fly out!!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Any boots in these calipers fail after track use, I've used all sorts. It's one of those things.

The big redd ones tend to be the best though. They'll fail even earlier if they are exposed to copper grease or similar.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
funny you should say bigredd seals, saw them do the same after a couple of track days. they were fitted by someone as i talked them through doing it so it was down to the quality of them.

for how far out it is i'd pump it a bit more until it's almost out, then swap them over and the piston should come out by hand. if you do use an airline with a tyre valve on it be bloody careful as they can fly out!!

Cheers will do, these were fitted by BigRedd themselves - any recommendations for replacements?

Any boots in these calipers fail after track use, I've used all sorts. It's one of those things.

The big redd ones tend to be the best though. They'll fail even earlier if they are exposed to copper grease or similar.

I never lube up the pads so must be purely heat. Do you normally replace them each time then? I guess it won't take long to be damaged by dirt / water.

dan's cast offs.
don't know if they just had a dodgy batch? i never bother rebuilding, for the time it takes i just buy new for what they cost.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I never lube up the pads so must be purely heat. Do you normally replace them each time then? I guess it won't take long to be damaged by dirt / water.

Mine last a year or so I'd say, only a couple of track days a year.

I've not checked them yet after using my PBS pads, but the brakes feel better than ever after switching from CL RC5+

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Mine last a year or so I'd say, only a couple of track days a year.

I've not checked them yet after using my PBS pads, but the brakes feel better than ever after switching from CL RC5+

Thanks for the info. These seals are three years old and have been abused. To be honest I just used to run road pads until they faded so the calipers just didn't get too hot. Warm bank holiday weather with the PBS pads have clearly finished them off!

Wonder if brake ducting would help...

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I’d get some cooling ducts put in, they should help out and stop the clippers getting ridiculously hot to melt rubber boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

406 V6, Race Buggy
Those thin titanium or stainless shims you can get to fit behind the pads help a surprising amount too - we melt the grease out of the CV's - it pours out like gearbox oil - before it melts the boots in the calipers with the buggy, using stainless backing pads instead of steel.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for all the advice, Ti shims sound like a good idea, will just need to find someone to cut it to shape. I have been thinking about ducting but as its a daily I'm not sure if its worth making holes etc.

I did change the rubber boots at the weekend, really easy to do (under 2 hours including bleeding) and used my Ring tyre inflator to push the piston out. See if it lasts the track evening next week...

Attachments

• IMG_20180513_154501.jpg
    IMG_20180513_154501.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20180513_155517.jpg
    IMG_20180513_155517.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 32

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the backing plates help to stop squeal too. I’d get some brake ducts in through the fog lights, I’m gonna be doing it to my 172 soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk