ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Melting Steering Wheel: Renault Reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
  clio rs
Iv emailed Renault regarding the melting steering problem, this is what they have to say:

Dear customer

Thank you for your e-mail.

I was disappointed to hear of the problem you have encountered with the steering wheel on your Renault Clio. I do appreciate your concerns regarding this matter and can understand the disappointment that has been caused.

As a responsible manufacturer, Renault UK invests significant resource in researching the latest technology and equipment when we develop models to ensure that the best possible safety and quality standards are achieved throughout our range. We continue to monitor all customer complaints across the range of vehicles that we have sold, in the event that further investigations are necessary. I can confirm that there is no inherent design or quality defects with the steering wheel supplied with your Renault Clio.

When your Renault Clio was manufactured, it was supplied with a comprehensive three year or 60,000 mile warranty, dependent on which interval is reached soonest. This warranty allows Renault UK to rectify any problems the car may have that are a manufacturing defect and not attributable to wear and tear. We believe that should a part be of substandard quality at manufacture, the part would have failed during the warranty period. When the manufacturer’s warranty expired, as the owner of the vehicle, you became responsible for any repairs or maintenance that may be required.

When a warranty expires, we will always consider requests from a goodwill point of view to establish whether any financial support can be offered towards a repair. Unfortunately, as your car is now nearly a year outside of its original manufacturer’s warranty, and the issue could be attributed to wear and tear, I am unable to assist with the cost of your wheel replacement.

I know this is not the response you were looking for but hope you understand my reasons for being unable to contribute towards your repair. It is always disappointing to read correspondence from an unhappy customer and I am sorry that on this occasion I am unable to meet your expectations. We do value the feedback from our customers be it a positive or negative experience.

Renault UK, in conjunction with our colleagues at Renault France, strive to ensure all our vehicles are designed to provide the least amount of inconvenience to our customers, although we accept there will be occurrences from time to time where we are unable to influence outside conditions, which may cause your vehicle to require replacement parts fitted sooner than we would have generally anticipated.

Should you wish to discuss this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me personally on the customer service free phone number on 0800 072 33 72.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

Amanda Millgate
Consultant
Renault Customer Services

1 Series Coupe
Re: melting steering: renault dont want to help

Some people are lucky enough to get it swapped over. Others aren't. It looks like you are the latter!

It's a paint though. Its clearly a fault.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I can confirm that there is no inherent design or quality defects with the steering wheel supplied with your Renault Clio.

This is utter b****cks.

How is this to be expected after 50,000 miles of normal use...plainly the materials are not fit for the purpose...

100_3059.jpg

100_3062.jpg

100_3061.jpg

Makes my blood boil!!!

It's clearly an inherent design fault.
Just like the bonnet catches Renault originally denied :mad:

martynrg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
My right hand thumb grip has got a big split in it, and the outer edge of the wheel looks like your's Mark in the last pic.

Mines a 54 reg with 27k on the clock.

ridiculous!

clio 182 black /gold
Mine is starting to go on the thumb bits on the top picture. Not as bad as that yet, but going.

I can confirm that there is no inherent design or quality defects with the steering wheel supplied with your Renault Clio.

This is utter b****cks.

How is this to be expected after 50,000 miles of normal use...plainly the materials are not fit for the purpose...

100_3059.jpg

Makes my blood boil!!!

gd grief, i actually havnt seen one worse than that lol

That is a generic Renault response. What you need to do is get a list of people and the cars that have this issue and submit it to Renault. If you get 50+ people all with the same proble, all submitting a joint complaint, they might listen, and if they dont, forward it to watchdog ;)

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
Am up for gettin my name on the list. Mines a 05 182 and its starting to melt now. MarkCup that should well be replaced by Renault. We should get pictures of everyones wheels and a list and send it in. See what they say then!

"Navy" N17 TWO
That is a generic Renault response. What you need to do is get a list of people and the cars that have this issue and submit it to Renault. If you get 50+ people all with the same proble, all submitting a joint complaint, they might listen, and if they dont, forward it to watchdog ;)

I said that in the other thread lol - mass complaint!

1. theduckeatspork
  2. Tigger
  3. Jaffa182

1998 BMW e46 323i
add me to the list. 02 172. Grips have been going for a while and the usual melting nonsense. Lets all complain together. From clio sport.

C

Cupster

1. Tigger
  2. Jaffa182
  3. whatisjustis
  4. John.med
  5. Cupster

32K 53 plate and mine is melting on top and side facing window!

ibiza cupra
does it matter if you havent had the car from new if not then count me in
  1. Tigger
  2. Jaffa182
  3. whatisjustis
  4. John.med
  5. Cupster
  6. Clairemae
  7. 182kev
  8. martynrg
  9. kevin.s
were nearly a fith of the way there already i dont think getting 50 names is going to be a problem lol

Clio 172 Cup
Mine's going at 30k..
  1. Tigger
  2. Jaffa182
  3. whatisjustis
  4. John.med
  5. Cupster
  6. Clairemae
  7. 182kev
  8. martynrg
  9. kevin.s
  10. CupDude

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Feel free to use mine as an example of how bad they can get...but I'm well out of warranty now (4.5 years and 104k miles) and have replaced mine with an aftermarket wheel so I'm not after a new one.

I'd happily send the old one gift-wrapped to someone at Renault inviting their comments on how they couldn't make a wheel that shoddy if they tried LOL

Mark that might not be a bad idea! A list of peoples name and addresses and car details, and an example wheel enclosed!

EDIT: Obviously guys I havent got a 1*2 or a melted wheel, but as this was my idea am happy to help you out in arranging it and being a point of contact for both you all and renault.

koi

Audi S1
  1. Tigger
  2. Jaffa182
  3. whatisjustis
  4. John.med
  5. Cupster
  6. Clairemae
  7. 182kev
  8. martynrg
  9. kevin.s
  10. CupDude
  11. koi
2004 182, 31k - split in the right thumb grip and starting to melt on the top right of the wheel

once this list gets to 50 I will pm everyone on it for further details, full name, car details etc. I'll then send these details off to renault for there comments, and hopefully a more satisfactory response for everyone involved.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Get a mod to sticky this. Tried to get a list going a few months ago and it didn't really work, if it's stickied you may get a better response. My Trophy had the same issue, not mine anymore though.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Mines nowhere near as bad as those pictured, but it's still melting on the right hand side, it's a 55reg 182. Took my car in the other week with some other problems to get sorted ounder warranty (intermittent starting, paint bubbling on underside of bonnet) and they've agreed to change my steering wheel FOC and supply and paint a new bonnet.

It's not fitted yet so they could still change there mind, it's going in this weekend to have the work done

Wont be able to iunclude u in the list Haz as its a none standard item in your car. However you've posted on the wrong list anyway ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.